independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 24th Apr 2018 3:23am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > A subject no one wants to discuss--Bullying
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 12/04/17 1:45pm

EmmaMcG

babynoz said:



EmmaMcG said:


Luckily I was never really bullied in school. At the beginning of secondary school (high school for the Americans) I did get a few unkind words thrown my way but if I'm honest, name calling doesn't really bother me at all so it never made me feel bad or anything. I was small and let's say, not as developed as some of the other girls my age at the time, so some of the boys used to take the piss. And like I said, it didn't really bother me so much but my friend didn't take too kindly to it. So one day, in front of the teacher, he grabbed the leader of the "bullies" by the back of the head and smashed his face against the desk and told him if he ever said anything bad about me again, he'd kill him. That was pretty much the end of that as far as the name calling went. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend things go that far but generally speaking, bullies are cowards and pretty much always attack in packs. More often than not, standing up for yourself is all it takes to get them to back off.



Even though I only got into two fights I had plenty of kids who talked smack about me behind my back for two reasons. One, I never wanted to be part of anybody's clique and the "it" girls didn't like that. Number two, I was pretty much a teacher's pet, always called on or chosen to do stuff like be on the student council, in the school play, write on the board, etc. Other kids hate that. lol

I was too tall for some, too light skinned for others and too articulate for the rest. If I had a nickel for every time I was told that I thought I was cute or I thought I was white, I'd be rich. lol As far as I was concerned the teacher was the one giving out grades so they could kick rocks.

Another thing they hated was that I would befriend the outcast kids that they made fun of. I remember this one girl who was literally fresh off the boat from Haiti. No one would speak to her because she had limited english and a heavy accent. The hateful girls in gym class used to tease her relentlessly, tell her she had aids and all kinds of cruel stuff. I was the only kid in the whole class who would speak to her and we got along as much as the language barrier would allow.



Honestly, it just sounds like those girls were jealous of you.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 12/05/17 4:14pm

babynoz

Slave2daGroove said:

babynoz said:

LOL@ Slave making sure we know he ain't that damn old. lol Forgive me Slave, I don't know if you are male or female. I'm another oldster who came of age in the 70s btw.

.

boxed I'm an old man... lol



lol

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 12/05/17 4:15pm

babynoz

EmmaMcG said:

babynoz said:



Even though I only got into two fights I had plenty of kids who talked smack about me behind my back for two reasons. One, I never wanted to be part of anybody's clique and the "it" girls didn't like that. Number two, I was pretty much a teacher's pet, always called on or chosen to do stuff like be on the student council, in the school play, write on the board, etc. Other kids hate that. lol

I was too tall for some, too light skinned for others and too articulate for the rest. If I had a nickel for every time I was told that I thought I was cute or I thought I was white, I'd be rich. lol As far as I was concerned the teacher was the one giving out grades so they could kick rocks.

Another thing they hated was that I would befriend the outcast kids that they made fun of. I remember this one girl who was literally fresh off the boat from Haiti. No one would speak to her because she had limited english and a heavy accent. The hateful girls in gym class used to tease her relentlessly, tell her she had aids and all kinds of cruel stuff. I was the only kid in the whole class who would speak to her and we got along as much as the language barrier would allow.

Honestly, it just sounds like those girls were jealous of you.



Years later when I reflect on it that might have been the case.

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 12/08/17 10:47pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

And then there is online bullying....... folks like that are lunatics.

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 12/09/17 4:43pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

luv4u said:

And then there is online bullying....... folks like that are lunatics.

I can't even imagine being a young teen and having to deal with that as well as old-fahioned bullying. eek AND cell phones!

...I know the world is done
but you don't have to be...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 12/11/17 11:01am

uPtoWnNY

babynoz said:

I was too tall for some, too light skinned for others and too articulate for the rest.

I got a lot of crap for getting good grades, which isn't "cool" for black kids to do, especially boys. Some of my "brothas" called me punk, white & f****t. Plus I was small for my age, shy around girls and average at sports. I was so happy to go to college, and be around black folks who didn't care if I was "down" or fit some stupid stereotype of what being black means.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 12/13/17 8:06pm

babynoz

uPtoWnNY said:

babynoz said:

I was too tall for some, too light skinned for others and too articulate for the rest.

I got a lot of crap for getting good grades, which isn't "cool" for black kids to do, especially boys. Some of my "brothas" called me punk, white & f****t. Plus I was small for my age, shy around girls and average at sports. I was so happy to go to college, and be around black folks who didn't care if I was "down" or fit some stupid stereotype of what being black means.



That's effed up.

The funny part was they actually thought I gave a damn what they thought. The teacher was the one that gives out the grades so they could kick rocks as far as I was concerned. lol

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 12/23/17 12:45pm

benni

My daughter was bullied in 3rd grade by another girl. Apparently, this had been going on for awhile when she broke down crying one morning and begging me to home school her. Up to this point, my daughter had loved school, couldn't wait to go to spend time with her friends. I got my daughter to open up to me and she told me about this little girl. My daughter is extremely sensitive. She cries over sappy movies, her feelings get hurt easily, she just feels things so deeply, and this little girl knew that and began bullying her.

I called the principal and told the principal we've got a problem. When my daughter begs to be home schooled, it's a big issue. The principal talked with my daughter, and come to find out, my daughter had been telling teachers every time it happened. They switch classes for math, English, and Social Studies/Science, she told each of those teachers. She told teachers that were on the playground during recess. She told teachers in the lunch room. She told her art, music, and PE teachers. The teachers would tell the little girl to stop and that was as far as it went. My daughter felt like it didn't do any good to tell any more and had stopped telling.

The principal called the little girl to the room and the girl admitted to everything Cara said she'd said and done. She didn't deny a single thing. Then I found out this little girl's mom was also the Girl Scout Leader's daughter and my daughter was being bullied at Girl Scouts too. They called the girl's mom, the mom was shocked that her daughter would do anything like that, had no clue her daughter was a bully. She made her daughter write my daughter an apology and then made her spend her birthday money to buy my daughter a gift. My daughter begged me to buy the little girl a gift too, to show her there were no bad feelings, that she accepted her apology, and that she would like to try to be friends. So that's what we did. The girl stopped bullying my daughter after that, but my daughter still has issues from it. Her self-confidence gets low, she feels like she's not good enough any more, and she will have nightmares sometimes. I took her to counseling, but it doesn't seem like it helped her any.

But she is starting to make friends and is slowly trusting people again.

I asked her why she didn't tell me from the beginning and she said that she had been telling the teachers and it didn't do any good and she wanted to try to handle it by herself, because she knew mom would rush to the school and "get it settled". She said, "Mom, I know you'd handle it, but I had to prove to myself that I could handle it myself." sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 12/28/17 1:36pm

FullLipsDotNos
e

avatar

I was bullied as a teenager. I was going to a selective school and didn't fit in, because the class was full of hip and bubbly people. I was timid, autistic (I didn't know at the time) and with weird interests like Michael Jackson (remember, this was 00s before he passed away when suddenly everyone started loving him). Luckily, I changed schools and did really well afterwards.

Because of my disability, I was also mocked online. Ironically, it was in a Facebook group dedicated to disabled people, but there were also lots of ablebodied people some of whom were complete jerks (plus a few disabled people who were jerks, too). This specific person kept sending me private messages from time to time in which she was insulting me. I blocked her and the admin of the group banned them as well. Yeah, banning jerks on Facebook is fantastic smile

full lips, freckles, and upturned nose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 12/29/17 7:20am

CharlieGriffin

benni said:

My daughter was bullied in 3rd grade by another girl. Apparently, this had been going on for awhile when she broke down crying one morning and begging me to home school her. Up to this point, my daughter had loved school, couldn't wait to go to spend time with her friends. I got my daughter to open up to me and she told me about this little girl. My daughter is extremely sensitive. She cries over sappy movies, her feelings get hurt easily, she just feels things so deeply, and this little girl knew that and began bullying her.

I called the principal and told the principal we've got a problem. When my daughter begs to be home schooled, it's a big issue. The principal talked with my daughter, and come to find out, my daughter had been telling teachers every time it happened. They switch classes for math, English, and Social Studies/Science, she told each of those teachers. She told teachers that were on the playground during recess. She told teachers in the lunch room. She told her art, music, and PE teachers. The teachers would tell the little girl to stop and that was as far as it went. My daughter felt like it didn't do any good to tell any more and had stopped telling.

The principal called the little girl to the room and the girl admitted to everything Cara said she'd said and done. She didn't deny a single thing. Then I found out this little girl's mom was also the Girl Scout Leader's daughter and my daughter was being bullied at Girl Scouts too. They called the girl's mom, the mom was shocked that her daughter would do anything like that, had no clue her daughter was a bully. She made her daughter write my daughter an apology and then made her spend her birthday money to buy my daughter a gift. My daughter begged me to buy the little girl a gift too, to show her there were no bad feelings, that she accepted her apology, and that she would like to try to be friends. So that's what we did. The girl stopped bullying my daughter after that, but my daughter still has issues from it. Her self-confidence gets low, she feels like she's not good enough any more, and she will have nightmares sometimes. I took her to counseling, but it doesn't seem like it helped her any.

But she is starting to make friends and is slowly trusting people again.

I asked her why she didn't tell me from the beginning and she said that she had been telling the teachers and it didn't do any good and she wanted to try to handle it by herself, because she knew mom would rush to the school and "get it settled". She said, "Mom, I know you'd handle it, but I had to prove to myself that I could handle it myself." sad

Sounds like you've done a damn good job raising a responsible young lady. Be proud of her and of yourself. She sounds like a treasure.

I've never been bullied, except by my older brother, but that comes with being a younger sister, and it wasn't real serious. But when I hear of bullying or see it, I get very upset. The best reaction I saw to bullying was in the movie "A History of Violence." The scene was of a teenager in highschool being f**ked with by a group of other boys. The bullied teen tried to defray the taunts by agreeing with the bullies, but they persisted in taunting him. He finally had enough and hauled off and beat the living shit out of the entire group. I STOOD UP AND CHEERED! clapping clapping

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 01/05/18 12:15am

sonshine

avatar

I have three children (all boys) and my middle child was bullied. He was always "different", not in a bad way. Later we learned he is on the spectrum. He is an adult now and seems fine. I think at times it hurt me more than him. When I dropped him off at school in the mornings and watched him walk slowly towards all the other children playing on the playground before school (then stand at the outer margins alone, watching) my heart broke. I would be crying as I drove away. My ex-husband told me not to make an issue of it if our son didn't bring it up. One popular boy was particularly mean to my son. I saw it with my own eyes and questioned my son about it. When he confirmed what was going on I asked my older son to take care of it at school the next day. And he did. I'm not sure what he said to the bully but he left my son alone after that. A couple years later the bully left that school altogether. Turns out he wasn't as popular as he thought he was and the other children didn't like him they were mainly trying to avoid being his next target. Anyway, problem solved.

It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 01/13/18 3:06pm

ThatWhiteDude

sonshine said:

I have three children (all boys) and my middle child was bullied. He was always "different", not in a bad way. Later we learned he is on the spectrum. He is an adult now and seems fine. I think at times it hurt me more than him. When I dropped him off at school in the mornings and watched him walk slowly towards all the other children playing on the playground before school (then stand at the outer margins alone, watching) my heart broke. I would be crying as I drove away. My ex-husband told me not to make an issue of it if our son didn't bring it up. One popular boy was particularly mean to my son. I saw it with my own eyes and questioned my son about it. When he confirmed what was going on I asked my older son to take care of it at school the next day. And he did. I'm not sure what he said to the bully but he left my son alone after that. A couple years later the bully left that school altogether. Turns out he wasn't as popular as he thought he was and the other children didn't like him they were mainly trying to avoid being his next target. Anyway, problem solved.

I totally feel for you sad It must be hard for a parent to witness that the own child's getting bullied. You want your child to be accepted, to be safe away from home and then you have to see how others treat them.

Anyways, I'm glad that the problem has been solved.

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > A subject no one wants to discuss--Bullying