independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 19th Jul 2018 2:28pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS WARNING]
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/15/17 5:46am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS WARNING]

This is for discussion with spoilers! I did not want to post them in the other topics?
,
,
,

I saw it and I liked it a LOT! as others have said it doesn't 'feel' much like Star Wars!

I did not like how Luke was used. I did not like the new powers we saw. I thought that R2 was underused... and Yoda looked like crap!


Overall the pacing was fine. I was with a 10-year-old with major ADHD and he sat and watched it all with no problems. He said he wanted to see it again.

So Luke refuses to help or train Rey. But R2 convinces which was sweet... but wait... Luke seemed to understand R2's language! What? that is silly.

Also odd... Leia's ship is hit and she is sucked into space but uses the force to pull herself (not really flying) into the ship... I thought that was a stretch!

Also: Fin and Rose go off on a mission that was as far as I can tell totally worthless and not very believable. In fact, it ends up costing the Resistance a great number of loses. The entire subplot was worthless and should have never made it to shooting.

Oh and on the island, Yoda shows up and he looks horrible... he makes the original TPM one look great... and the ghost effect seemed to be off too... but whatever...


But then Luke shows and wait why did he dye his beard? Oh he was not really there... another very odd choice and a new power that seems to me to be not at all reasonable.


But then Luke becomes one with the force and the few remaining people escape.


Then at the very end a Boy, back on the plant Fin and Rose go to, seems to use the force to pick up a broom...

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/15/17 6:31am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

.... covers their eyes and tip toes back outta thread......



20rrnl.jpg

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/15/17 7:11am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

I am thinking it will be the top box office move this year but not by much. I think it may struggle to top Rouge One. I think it will be below $600M....


Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/15/17 7:15am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Also:


there was No post-credit stuff other than a nice tribute to Carrie


and no Solo A Star Wars Story Trailor

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/15/17 8:11am

Dasein

The emperor is not wearing any clothes!

In other words: this movie was not as good as the early reviews made it out to be.


1. Leia is Superwoman? She can breathe and fly in outer-space without aid of some sort
of ship, even after we see rockets shoved up her asshole?

2. After all those years of training with Obi-wan and Yoda; after two light-saber battles with
Darth Vader and surviving force lightning from Palpatine, Luke turned into a bratty old cur-
mudgeon who fell in love with his own legend? Luke's characterization here is totally fucking
stupid and I agree with Hamill who said that he didn't like Johnson's write up initially but
later acquiesced. Hamill should've stuck to his guns and his instincts and argued for a more
interesting depiction of Skywalker who is not so juevenile.

3. The casino-world scenes with Finn and Rose were an obvious "MacGuffin."

4. BB-8 wrangling an AT-AT walker was fucking ridiculous.

5. Luke's death was unnecessary!

6. It would have been cool to see Luke and Chewie commiserate Han's death. It would have
been cool to see Luke have more than one scene with Chewie actually. In fact, why the fuck is
Chewie in these movies anyways?

7. I did not buy into DJ's odd ticks and quirky mannerisms; Del Toro overplayed that part.

8. The score was anemic!

9. Johnson tempered the more tragic and poignant scenes with too much humor. I felt the
movie went out of its way to set up scenes to deliver punch lines first as opposed to telling a story.

10. Kylo Ren can handle Luke in a light-saber battle but struggles with Praetorian Guards? Puh-
leeze. And speaking of light-saber battles - we never got one, really!


So, here's my ranking in order from best to worst (or favorite to least favorite):

Empire
A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Force Awakens
Last Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

I am purposefully leaving off Phantom Menace.

EDIT:

The scene where Rey sees herself multiplied in the dark side of the force pit was so dumb. John-
son was obviously paying homage to Luke's fight with "Vader/himself" while training on Dagobah
and it simply did not work.


[Edited 12/15/17 8:22am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/15/17 8:17am

Dasein

OnlyNDaUsa said:

This is for discussion with spoilers! I did not want to post them in the other topics?
,
,
,

I saw it and I liked it a LOT! as others have said it doesn't 'feel' much like Star Wars!

I did not like how Luke was used. I did not like the new powers we saw. I thought that R2 was underused... and Yoda looked like crap!


Overall the pacing was fine. I was with a 10-year-old with major ADHD and he sat and watched it all with no problems. He said he wanted to see it again.

So Luke refuses to help or train Rey. But R2 convinces which was sweet... but wait... Luke seemed to understand R2's language! What? that is silly.

Also odd... Leia's ship is hit and she is sucked into space but uses the force to pull herself (not really flying) into the ship... I thought that was a stretch!

Also: Fin and Rose go off on a mission that was as far as I can tell totally worthless and not very believable. In fact, it ends up costing the Resistance a great number of loses. The entire subplot was worthless and should have never made it to shooting.

Oh and on the island, Yoda shows up and he looks horrible... he makes the original TPM one look great... and the ghost effect seemed to be off too... but whatever...


But then Luke shows and wait why did he dye his beard? Oh he was not really there... another very odd choice and a new power that seems to me to be not at all reasonable.


But then Luke becomes one with the force and the few remaining people escape.


Then at the very end a Boy, back on the plant Fin and Rose go to, seems to use the force to pick up a broom...


Luke has always understood Artoo. Think back to when they were both on Dagobah, for example.

I thought the pacing was fine until Finn and Rose go to the casino-planet; that was an utter waste
of time like you said it was.

I liked Artoo manipulating Luke into training Rey; but I did not like how brattily Luke refused to
teach her. He was acting like a dumb guy instead of a Jedi.

The little boy looking out into the night sky whilst using the force to grab a broom after listening
to stories of Luke Skywalker was the best part of the movie . . . I have goosebumps as I'm typing
this!

I gave the movie a B as I was leaving the theatre. I downgraded it to a B- by the time I got home.
After speaking with a friend who's in showbusiness this morning, I'm giving the flick a C+.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/15/17 8:19am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Wait!

Who said, "I've got a bad feeling about this"?

did no say it?

and was there a gonk?

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/15/17 8:24am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Dasein said:

force to pick up a broom...


Luke has always understood Artoo. Think back to when they were both on Dagobah, for example.

No he didn't... he may have gotten the gist but that was it and even in "RotJ" Luke reads R2's words off a screen in his cockpit



I thought the pacing was fine until Finn and Rose go to the casino-planet; that was an utter waste
of time like you said it was.


and again nearly cost the lives of all of them!

I liked Artoo manipulating Luke into training Rey; but I did not like how brattily Luke refused to
teach her. He was acting like a dumb guy instead of a Jedi.

I agree he was acting more like Kylo Ren than Kylo did or like Annikin in AOTC


The little boy looking out into the night sky whilst using the force to grab a broom after listening
to stories of Luke Skywalker was the best part of the movie . . . I have goosebumps as I'm typing
this!

I was like wait did that happen? It was cool but the RING was CHEESE!


I gave the movie a B as I was leaving the theatre. I downgraded it to a B- by the time I got home.


After speaking with a friend who's in showbusiness this morning, I'm giving the flick a C+.

Me too

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/15/17 8:32am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Dasein said:

The emperor is not wearing any clothes!

In other words: this movie was not as good as the early reviews made it out to be.


1. Leia is Superwoman? She can breathe and fly in outer-space without aid of some sort
of ship, even after we see rockets shoved up her asshole?


I agree... at first I though they changed the script and did some re-shoots... but nope


2. After all those years of training with Obi-wan and Yoda; after two light-saber battles with
Darth Vader and surviving force lightning from Palpatine, Luke turned into a bratty old cur-
mudgeon who fell in love with his own legend? Luke's characterization here is totally fucking
stupid and I agree with Hamill who said that he didn't like Johnson's write up initially but
later acquiesced. Hamill should've stuck to his guns and his instincts and argued for a more
interesting depiction of Skywalker who is not so juevenile.

I get why we was reluctant but that should have been short-lived. (and Luck did not feel Han's death but Leia did?)


3. The casino-world scenes with Finn and Rose were an obvious "MacGuffin."

More like a MacNutthing


4. BB-8 wrangling an AT-AT walker was fucking ridiculous.

I loved it!

5. Luke's death was unnecessary!

and he is a Jedi so he can just force ghost!


6. It would have been cool to see Luke and Chewie commiserate Han's death. It would have
been cool to see Luke have more than one scene with Chewie actually. In fact, why the fuck is
Chewie in these movies anyways?

I agree!

7. I did not buy into DJ's odd ticks and quirky mannerisms; Del Toro overplayed that part.

the entier thing was a nothing burger... it was filler.

8. The score was anemic!

I hardly noticed...

9. Johnson tempered the more tragic and poignant scenes with too much humor. I felt the
movie went out of its way to set up scenes to deliver punch lines first as opposed to telling a story.

yup

10. Kylo Ren can handle Luke in a light-saber battle but struggles with Praetorian Guards? Puh-
leeze. And speaking of light-saber battles - we never got one, really!

it was not really Luke... I was more bothered by that ridiculous new TRICK than anything


So, here's my ranking in order from best to worst (or favorite to least favorite):

Empire
A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Force Awakens
Last Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

I am purposefully leaving off Phantom Menace.

EDIT:

The scene where Rey sees herself multiplied in the dark side of the force pit was so dumb. John-
son was obviously paying homage to Luke's fight with "Vader/himself" while training on Dagobah
and it simply did not work.

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/15/17 9:00am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

junk

"My motherfucker's so cool sheep count him."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/15/17 11:26am

lust

avatar

Great. A spoiler thread.

Overall I loved it but it was overblown in its epic proportions. Two many subplots. It felt like we got the full directors cut.

If you have a problem with Luke understanding R2 after having had him for decades then when Rey, a young scavenger on a desert planet, understood BB8 from the moment she met him in TFA must have really ripped your nightie.

There was some great humour. The opening scene with Poe on the comm to Hux was brilliant as is Poe as a character. Pleased we got to see him this time.

I thought Luke was fine. He’s grown bitter and disillusioned and with good reason.
The scene where Rey knocked on his door and Luke told her to “Go away” had me giggling as I recalled the Housekeeping scene from the family guy. “I come in anyway”

The revealed parentage of Rey (if indeed it’s true) was great. Two years of speculation and they pulled that. Reminded me of Spaceballs when Dark Helmet says to Lonestar “There is something you should know about me, I’m
Your sister’s cousin’s btither’s former roommate”

Kylo Ren’s seemingly turn to the light only to realise he’d actually gone full “Sith” was brilliant.

BB8 didn’t comandeer at AT AT. It was an AT ST. Pedantic I know.
The new huge knuckle dragging AT ATs are awesome.

The visual beauty of the red salt and the snow was gorgeous.
I wonder if we’ll get a forest battle in ep 9!

Leia’s survival and space flight was the worse thing I’ve seen in Star
Wars since Jar Jar.
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/15/17 11:34am

lust

avatar

I wonder if ep 9 will skip forward by 10 years.

Why?

1) The old characters are gone other than Leia. A 10
Year gap allows her death to be a natural matter of time and can explained in the crawl.

2) The resistance is decimated and it seems they are hinting that they can rebuild from inspired children around the galaxy.
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/15/17 11:41am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Yes BB-8 being understood was odd but it was well established that humans could not understand R2 (even if it would have been easy to make it so he was)


and I agree maybe there should be a 10 year gap! the timeline between TFA and TLJ seemed off... as they did not seem to be in a rush to get off world at the end... but is it true that Poe and Rey never meet? Weird...

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/15/17 11:44am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

oh and there is some speculation that it is BB8 that says "I have a bad feeling about this..." to which Poe say something about positive beeps...

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/15/17 11:46am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

lust said:

I wonder if ep 9 will skip forward by 10 years. Why? 1) The old characters are gone other than Leia. A 10 Year gap allows her death to be a natural matter of time and can explained in the crawl. 2) The resistance is decimated and it seems they are hinting that they can rebuild from inspired children around the galaxy.

I wonder if the first words of the craw will be "Princess Leia...." like "Princess Leia is one with the force..."

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/15/17 12:11pm

lust

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



lust said:


I wonder if ep 9 will skip forward by 10 years. Why? 1) The old characters are gone other than Leia. A 10 Year gap allows her death to be a natural matter of time and can explained in the crawl. 2) The resistance is decimated and it seems they are hinting that they can rebuild from inspired children around the galaxy.



I wonder if the first words of the craw will be "Princess Leia...." like "Princess Leia is one with the force..."




Maybe something like.

STAR WARS. EPISODE IX

The Furry Menace (this is Chewbacca’s film)

Led by Supreme Leader Ren
the First Order have tightened
thier grip on the galaxy bringing
fear and enslavement as far as the outer rim!

General Dameron has continued to
rebuild the resistance started by the late General Organa.

Jedi Rey and her Padawan, broom boy are sent on a mission to Hanu-Kaa
to negotiate the purchase of a new weapon
that could end the First Order and bring peace
to the galaxy.

(Pan down - Forest planet appears)
(Millennium falcon roars into focus)
[Edited 12/15/17 12:14pm]
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/15/17 12:35pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

I was hoping for a few things!



1) that R2 would say with Luke and that Luke would very casually lift his x-wing out of the water and power it up... (I was also expecting him to show up to kill the 'death star' gun thing...in his xwing and blow it up...)


2) that during the falcon's flight through the caves that it would lose its rectangular dish and then have it replaced with a circular one...

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/15/17 12:40pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

i also did not like the Red Snoke set..

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/15/17 12:46pm

Dasein

Dasein said: Luke has always understood Artoo. Think back to when they were both on Dagobah, for example.

OnlyNDaUsa said: No he didn't... he may have gotten the gist but that was it and even in "RotJ" Luke reads R2's words off a screen in his cockpit


Dasein said: 10. Kylo Ren can handle Luke in a light-saber battle but struggles with Praetorian Guards? Puh-
leeze. And speaking of light-saber battles - we never got one, really!

OnlyNDaUsa said: it was not really Luke... I was more bothered by that ridiculous new TRICK than anything



Luke understood Artoo perfectly in this Empire scene:



And, I know that Kylo fought a Lukan astral projection - the fact remains that it was silly for Kylo
to think he could handle Skywalker in a light saber battle while being unable to defeat Rey in The
Force Awakens (who was not trained) and barely being able to defeat Praetorian Guards.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/15/17 12:48pm

Dasein

OnlyNDaUsa said:

I was hoping for a few things!



1) that R2 would say with Luke and that Luke would very casually lift his x-wing out of the water and power it up... (I was also expecting him to show up to kill the 'death star' gun thing...in his xwing and blow it up...)


2) that during the falcon's flight through the caves that it would lose its rectangular dish and then have it replaced with a circular one...


I was expecting Luke to force lift his X-Wing out of the water to return to battle as well. But, I kinda
liked the red backdrop for the Praetorian Guards/Snoke's chamber.

Speaking of red, Snoke was a big fucking red herring all this time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/15/17 1:02pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Dasein said:


Luke understood Artoo perfectly in this Empire scene:



And, I know that Kylo fought a Lukan astral projection - the fact remains that it was silly for Kylo
to think he could handle Skywalker in a light saber battle while being unable to defeat Rey in The
Force Awakens (who was not trained) and barely being able to defeat Praetorian Guards.

Luke doesn't understand R2.. in the cockpit, there is a display that shows what R2 is saying... once they land there is no point were Luke seems to unsdertand him... and again in RotJ R2's words are displayed on a screen.


Kylo is reckless and full of himself... that is for sure. What is weird wouldn't feel that it was not really Luke?

I have a MUCH bigger issue with the entire Astral Projection than Kylo being full of himself.

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/15/17 1:03pm

Dasein

lust said:

Great. A spoiler thread. Overall I loved it but it was overblown in its epic proportions. Two many subplots. It felt like we got the full directors cut. If you have a problem with Luke understanding R2 after having had him for decades then when Rey, a young scavenger on a desert planet, understood BB8 from the moment she met him in TFA must have really ripped your nightie. There was some great humour. The opening scene with Poe on the comm to Hux was brilliant as is Poe as a character. Pleased we got to see him this time. I thought Luke was fine. He’s grown bitter and disillusioned and with good reason. The scene where Rey knocked on his door and Luke told her to “Go away” had me giggling as I recalled the Housekeeping scene from the family guy. “I come in anyway” The revealed parentage of Rey (if indeed it’s true) was great. Two years of speculation and they pulled that. Reminded me of Spaceballs when Dark Helmet says to Lonestar “There is something you should know about me, I’m Your sister’s cousin’s btither’s former roommate” Kylo Ren’s seemingly turn to the light only to realise he’d actually gone full “Sith” was brilliant. BB8 didn’t comandeer at AT AT. It was an AT ST. Pedantic I know. The new huge knuckle dragging AT ATs are awesome. The visual beauty of the red salt and the snow was gorgeous. I wonder if we’ll get a forest battle in ep 9! Leia’s survival and space flight was the worse thing I’ve seen in Star Wars since Jar Jar.


Super cool that you were able to distinguish between an AT-AT and an AT-ST! But, I think my point
remains.

I provide evidence of Luke understanding Artoo back in 1980, so I don't know what Only's gripe is
about.

I thought the opening scene's jokiness was too slap-sticky for me and immediately let me know that
Johnson was not going to treat the canon reverentially. I mean, Luke slurping green milk? C'mon!



Sure, it was visually arresting but the red salt being on the snow served what purpose again? . . . And
crystal-creatures that look like foxes? Sigh . . .

Luke being disillusioned and bitter does not necessarily equate to "bitchy teen-ager". Only was
right here: Luke's iteration in this movie is an extension of Kylo Ren's teen-age styled petulance
and Hamill was right to object to Johnson's awful characterization.

I agree with you about the big reveal of Rey's parents (who were a bunch of drunk nobodies) being
great! It's cool to know that you don't necessarily have to be the offspring of virginal birth in order
to be a powerful force-sensitive. And yes, there was some very funny moments - I especially loved
the scene were the camera zooms in on another fangled machine only to reveal it was an iron! But,
I hope the next episode is a little more casual with its application of humor.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/15/17 1:13pm

Dasein

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Dasein said:


Luke understood Artoo perfectly in this Empire scene:



And, I know that Kylo fought a Lukan astral projection - the fact remains that it was silly for Kylo
to think he could handle Skywalker in a light saber battle while being unable to defeat Rey in The
Force Awakens (who was not trained) and barely being able to defeat Praetorian Guards.

Luke doesn't understand R2.. in the cockpit, there is a display that shows what R2 is saying... once they land there is no point were Luke seems to unsdertand him... and again in RotJ R2's words are displayed on a screen.


Kylo is reckless and full of himself... that is for sure. What is weird wouldn't feel that it was not really Luke?

I have a MUCH bigger issue with the entire Astral Projection than Kylo being full of himself.


What the hell are you talking about? We never see a display with R2's bleeps and blips interpreted
for Luke's understanding in The Empire Strikes Back.

At the 0:32 mark, R2 "says" something. Luke responds with "I know, I know." There is nothing
in that exchange which indicates Luke looked at a monitor for interpretive purposes.

Again, at the 1:33 - 1:34 mark, R2 bleeps again, and Luke responds. Or, we can simply chop this
up to Lucas not being consistent with his own damn story, which is not unlikely.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/15/17 1:22pm

lust

avatar

Dasein said:



lust said:


Great. A spoiler thread. Overall I loved it but it was overblown in its epic proportions. Two many subplots. It felt like we got the full directors cut. If you have a problem with Luke understanding R2 after having had him for decades then when Rey, a young scavenger on a desert planet, understood BB8 from the moment she met him in TFA must have really ripped your nightie. There was some great humour. The opening scene with Poe on the comm to Hux was brilliant as is Poe as a character. Pleased we got to see him this time. I thought Luke was fine. He’s grown bitter and disillusioned and with good reason. The scene where Rey knocked on his door and Luke told her to “Go away” had me giggling as I recalled the Housekeeping scene from the family guy. “I come in anyway” The revealed parentage of Rey (if indeed it’s true) was great. Two years of speculation and they pulled that. Reminded me of Spaceballs when Dark Helmet says to Lonestar “There is something you should know about me, I’m Your sister’s cousin’s btither’s former roommate” Kylo Ren’s seemingly turn to the light only to realise he’d actually gone full “Sith” was brilliant. BB8 didn’t comandeer at AT AT. It was an AT ST. Pedantic I know. The new huge knuckle dragging AT ATs are awesome. The visual beauty of the red salt and the snow was gorgeous. I wonder if we’ll get a forest battle in ep 9! Leia’s survival and space flight was the worse thing I’ve seen in Star Wars since Jar Jar.


Super cool that you were able to distinguish between an AT-AT and an AT-ST! But, I think my point
remains.

I provide evidence of Luke understanding Artoo back in 1980, so I don't know what Only's gripe is
about.

I thought the opening scene's jokiness was too slap-sticky for me and immediately let me know that
Johnson was not going to treat the canon reverentially. I mean, Luke slurping green milk? C'mon!



Sure, it was visually arresting but the red salt being on the snow served what purpose again? . . . And
crystal-creatures that look like foxes? Sigh . . .

Luke being disillusioned and bitter does not necessarily equate to "bitchy teen-ager". Only was
right here: Luke's iteration in this movie is an extension of Kylo Ren's teen-age styled petulance
and Hamill was right to object to Johnson's awful characterization.

I agree with you about the big reveal of Rey's parents (who were a bunch of drunk nobodies) being
great! It's cool to know that you don't necessarily have to be the offspring of virginal birth in order
to be a powerful force-sensitive. And yes, there was some very funny moments - I especially loved
the scene were the camera zooms in on another fangled machine only to reveal it was an iron! But,
I hope the next episode is a little more casual with its application of humor.




Ha. Yeah the iron. I saw a crappy spaceship and said to my mate “that looks like an iron”. Pan out. Oh!

Loved the khamikazee light speed destruction of Snoke’s ship.

I feel that Rian wanted to tick too many boxes and revisit scenes from both Empire and Jedi but flipping them on their head. I’m glad the Porgs were merely a small window dressing for the kids sake and we didn’t end up with one sacrificing itself by blocking an exhaust port in order to save the galaxy.
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/15/17 7:17pm

donnyenglish

The great villain is missing from this trilogy, which makes it weak. With that said, Kylo was slightly better than expected. Leia was great. I dont know how to feel about Luke because it was weird.

Snope was so disappointing. I cant take a space villain seriously who wears a Morris Day jacket and with a v-neck tshirt.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/15/17 8:58pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

Snook dies? We learned nothing about him

There is still no explanation of how they found Anakins, Luke's lightsaber from Empire Strikes Back. Now that Luke has become one with the force and the lightsaber was broke in 2..I guess It doesn't matter

Ren and Rey are obviously twins and have a connection, or was that all Snooks doing :shrug:

As far as Luke understanding R2s language, I was always under the imprison he understood. Just like Han understood Chewy, Hell all of R2s beeps & chewys barks sound the same and yet most seem to understand what they are sasying


The movie ends with with out a real cliffhanger.
Will the next movie pick up exactly where this one ends off?
I'm thinking Rey will train a new generation of jedi and the saga will continue

Over all I liked it better than The force Awakens
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/15/17 9:31pm

ufoclub

avatar

Humans never understood droids in the original trilogy. They always had C3PO or a computer translate R2. The scenes in Empire on Degobah were Luke reacting or guessing the same way you would with a pet dog.

It’s a new convention that makes no sense with this latest trilogy and it really bugged me that Rey understood BB8 in the first movie.


This new movie did have some deserved heart to it. I love that they brought back a religious almost Buddhist mood to the Force like in Star Wars 1977. (I cant refer to it as the revisionist A New Hope. I was there watching it in the theater in 1977 many times. It was simply called Star Wars.)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/15/17 9:33pm

ufoclub

avatar

Dasein said:



OnlyNDaUsa said:




Dasein said:




Luke understood Artoo perfectly in this Empire scene:



And, I know that Kylo fought a Lukan astral projection - the fact remains that it was silly for Kylo
to think he could handle Skywalker in a light saber battle while being unable to defeat Rey in The
Force Awakens (who was not trained) and barely being able to defeat Praetorian Guards.





Luke doesn't understand R2.. in the cockpit, there is a display that shows what R2 is saying... once they land there is no point were Luke seems to unsdertand him... and again in RotJ R2's words are displayed on a screen.


Kylo is reckless and full of himself... that is for sure. What is weird wouldn't feel that it was not really Luke?

I have a MUCH bigger issue with the entire Astral Projection than Kylo being full of himself.




What the hell are you talking about? We never see a display with R2's bleeps and blips interpreted
for Luke's understanding in The Empire Strikes Back.

At the 0:32 mark, R2 "says" something. Luke responds with "I know, I know." There is nothing
in that exchange which indicates Luke looked at a monitor for interpretive purposes.

Again, at the 1:33 - 1:34 mark, R2 bleeps again, and Luke responds. Or, we can simply chop this
up to Lucas not being consistent with his own damn story, which is not unlikely.



Watch again when Luke is piloting the xwing away from Hoth.
[Edited 12/15/17 21:33pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/16/17 12:16am

Hudson

avatar

Everything works so much better on the second viewing that was jarring the first time. Episode IX won't be as great as it would have if Carrie was the lead. She was great and when she shot Poe the audience erupted in laughter. They also really like the Luke/Leia reunion and the grown man sitting next to me with his wife and teenage daughter was crying during that scene.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/16/17 2:21am

UncleJam

avatar

The movie built up nicely, and then went pffft. The most anti-climactic climax of any SW film. Rather disppointed, I am...but I will see it again...

[Edited 12/16/17 2:32am]

Make it so, Number One...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS WARNING]