independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 15th Nov 2018 11:25am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Your 2018 Oscar picks so far
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/26/18 1:27pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Your 2018 Oscar picks so far

2018 so far has had a lot of fun popcorn fare, but nothing really “GREAT” so far. And that’s why my two best movies so far have been animated ones, which is really weird.

Studios tend to save Oscar contenders for release starting in November, so we will be seeing more serious fare in the months to come.

There were a lot of so-so goos movies reales this year, and a lot of good por corn films, but the only Oscar calibre movies for me this year are animated films. Just goes to show how great the talent and the medium has become.

1. Incredible 2

2. Isle of Dogs
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/26/18 2:06pm

kpowers

avatar

Once again rooting for Chewy, he is long over due

Image result for chewbacca solo

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/26/18 3:01pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

kpowers said:

Once again rooting for Chewy, he is long over due


Image result for chewbacca solo



Lol yikes no no no. This is easily on the 2018 worst list. Just horrible.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/26/18 3:39pm

kpowers

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

kpowers said:

Once again rooting for Chewy, he is long over due

Image result for chewbacca solo

Lol yikes no no no. This is easily on the 2018 worst list. Just horrible.

Solo didn't do good at the box office but that doesn't mean it was a bad film. Once all the haters actually watch this movie opinions will change

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/26/18 4:44pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

kpowers said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


kpowers said:

Once again rooting for Chewy, he is long over due


Image result for chewbacca solo



Lol yikes no no no. This is easily on the 2018 worst list. Just horrible.

Solo didn't do good at the box office but that doesn't mean it was a bad film. Once all the haters actually watch this movie opinions will change



All opinions are welcome, but for me it truly is an abomination. Rogue One was far better.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/27/18 12:06pm

namepeace

kpowers said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

kpowers said: Lol yikes no no no. This is easily on the 2018 worst list. Just horrible.

Solo didn't do good at the box office but that doesn't mean it was a bad film. Once all the haters actually watch this movie opinions will change


I agree with that. Solo was a well-made film despite the change in directors. I think most filmgoers -- including myself -- have at least a small psychological block on giving anyone but Harrison Ford a shot at being Han Solo. He's not the kind of character you can just replace like James Bond or a superhero.


That aside, it was as good as or better than most of the films in the post-OT canon.

[Edited 9/27/18 12:07pm]

[Edited 9/27/18 12:07pm]

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/27/18 6:24pm

damosuzuki

avatar

i didn't think solo was anywhere close to being a bad film. perfectly good fun imo, ultimately quite enjoyable. it's certainly nowhere near my favourites of the year to date, & i don't even think it even deserves an effects award nomination (it was far too dark at times, at the beginning in particular, to the point of being difficult to suss out what was happening), but it was mostly breezy & fairly snappy & i for one would happily watch it again right now.

there are four films that i absolutely loved so far this year, that were more or less perfect to me. i have no idea if any of them will get nominations, and i really don't care in the sense that i think the films don't need that kind of validation to establish their greatness. but i certainly wouldn't mind if all of them got a bit more attention.

paddington 2

the rider

first reformed

eighth grade

i could possibly see first reformed getting a nomination since it's been seen by some as something of a return to form for paul schrader, & i think that kind of redemption story might win voters over. it's probably the most likely to sneak in out of my batch of favourites.




[Edited 9/27/18 18:25pm]

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/27/18 6:54pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

damosuzuki said:

i didn't think solo was anywhere close to being a bad film. perfectly good fun imo, ultimately quite enjoyable. it's certainly nowhere near my favourites of the year to date, & i don't even think it even deserves an effects award nomination (it was far too dark at times, at the beginning in particular, to the point of being difficult to suss out what was happening), but it was mostly breezy & fairly snappy & i for one would happily watch it again right now.

there are four films that i absolutely loved so far this year, that were more or less perfect to me. i have no idea if any of them will get nominations, and i really don't care in the sense that i think the films don't need that kind of validation to establish their greatness. but i certainly wouldn't mind if all of them got a bit more attention.

paddington 2


the rider


first reformed


eighth grade



i could possibly see first reformed getting a nomination since it's been seen by some as something of a return to form for paul schrader, & i think that kind of redemption story might win voters over. it's probably the most likely to sneak in out of my batch of favourites.






[Edited 9/27/18 18:25pm]



I liked Paddington 2 also, and it’s interesting how good animated/family films were this year.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/27/18 11:25pm

Hudson

avatar

I've been watching Solo every night for the past week. It gives me my fix and is very entertaining. It also deserves absolutely no awards.


I always watch Oscars but I wait until I can legally rent the nominated films.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/28/18 1:46am

kpowers

avatar

I don't care what anyone says but I believe Chewbacca deserves an Oscars

Image result for chewbacca

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/28/18 3:41am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Lol so much Solo talk in a Oscar pick thread :lol:

Solo is among the worst most meaningless movies ever made. I literally found myself falling asleep through this mess. lol
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/28/18 7:30am

kpowers

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Lol so much Solo talk in a Oscar pick thread lol Solo is among the worst most meaningless movies ever made. I literally found myself falling asleep through this mess. lol

No, Chewbacca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image result for chewbacca gif

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/28/18 8:04am

RodeoSchro

avatar

"The Predator" should win in multiple, if not all, categories.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/28/18 9:45am

Empress

I don't think I've seen any Oscar worthy films this year yet. I will say that I hope MI:Fallout wins something for best action sequences or whatever. It was awesome! Not best picture "awesome" but so much fun to watch. The previews for A Star is Born look very good. I hope it lives up to the hype.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/28/18 10:41am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

As mentioned previously, the Oscar bait movies are just now coming off the festival circuit and the “serious” movie season is just on the horizon. I can;t wait to see First Man, Green Book, Roma, A Star is Born, If Beale Street could Talk.

I seriously doubt overrated films like Blackklansman or Mission Impossible will garner serious Oscar consideration. Just not very good movies. They get a slight sympathy vote from me, but that is ultimately unfair to the movies that really deserve it.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/28/18 12:59pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Empress said:

I don't think I've seen any Oscar worthy films this year yet. I will say that I hope MI:Fallout wins something for best action sequences or whatever. It was awesome! Not best picture "awesome" but so much fun to watch. The previews for A Star is Born look very good. I hope it lives up to the hype.



My definition of "Best Picture" is "The picture I liked the best". My definition of "The picture I liked the best" is "The picture that provided me the most entertainment".

I'm too old to believe any longer than the Best Picture has to be some deep, dark, mysterious, multi-level drama or whatever. I appreciate those (no, I don't - I'm just trying to be polite) but just because a picture deals with "deep" subjects like AIDs or 8th grade kids gives it no more panache in my opinion than The Predator eating some spines.

Therefore, ergo and in absentia, we have shown indelica mostum teetis that "The Predator" is, indeed, the Best Picture of the year.


(NOTE: I made up "indelica mostum teetis" or at least sure hope I did.)

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/28/18 1:16pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

None, I haven't seen any movies this year so far... razz lol

"If you're living, you've got nothing left to prove..."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/28/18 10:49pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

My pick is Blackkklansman (2018), I think its the best Spike Lee film since Inside Man (2006)

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/29/18 1:03pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

RodeoSchro said:



Empress said:


I don't think I've seen any Oscar worthy films this year yet. I will say that I hope MI:Fallout wins something for best action sequences or whatever. It was awesome! Not best picture "awesome" but so much fun to watch. The previews for A Star is Born look very good. I hope it lives up to the hype.





My definition of "Best Picture" is "The picture I liked the best". My definition of "The picture I liked the best" is "The picture that provided me the most entertainment".

I'm too old to believe any longer than the Best Picture has to be some deep, dark, mysterious, multi-level drama or whatever. I appreciate those (no, I don't - I'm just trying to be polite) but just because a picture deals with "deep" subjects like AIDs or 8th grade kids gives it no more panache in my opinion than The Predator eating some spines.

Therefore, ergo and in absentia, we have shown indelica mostum teetis that "The Predator" is, indeed, the Best Picture of the year.


(NOTE: I made up "indelica mostum teetis" or at least sure hope I did.)




I agree that the best picture should be the overall best regardless of genre. For that reason i highly doubt The Predator will get any nominations. Lol
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/29/18 1:05pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Goddess4Real said:

My pick is Blackkklansman (2018), I think its the best Spike Lee film since Inside Man (2006)







We’ll see how the sympathy vote for Spike is this year, But Blackklansman getting a nomination would be sad for him and the other films. No one want to win out of pity. It’s a well meaning yet sloppy badly made film. Reminds me of a bad TV episode.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/30/18 10:30am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

RodeoSchro said:



My definition of "Best Picture" is "The picture I liked the best". My definition of "The picture I liked the best" is "The picture that provided me the most entertainment".

I'm too old to believe any longer than the Best Picture has to be some deep, dark, mysterious, multi-level drama or whatever. I appreciate those (no, I don't - I'm just trying to be polite) but just because a picture deals with "deep" subjects like AIDs or 8th grade kids gives it no more panache in my opinion than The Predator eating some spines.

Therefore, ergo and in absentia, we have shown indelica mostum teetis that "The Predator" is, indeed, the Best Picture of the year.


(NOTE: I made up "indelica mostum teetis" or at least sure hope I did.)

I agree that the best picture should be the overall best regardless of genre. For that reason i highly doubt The Predator will get any nominations. Lol



Have you seen it? I have! It's TREMENDOUS. You should see it and then come back see if your comment stands. I bet you edit it, LOL.

I'm starting a campaign for "The Predator" to be nominated in most, if not all, categories. Best movie of the year, in my opinion.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/30/18 3:15pm

EmmaMcG

RodeoSchro said:



Empress said:


I don't think I've seen any Oscar worthy films this year yet. I will say that I hope MI:Fallout wins something for best action sequences or whatever. It was awesome! Not best picture "awesome" but so much fun to watch. The previews for A Star is Born look very good. I hope it lives up to the hype.





My definition of "Best Picture" is "The picture I liked the best". My definition of "The picture I liked the best" is "The picture that provided me the most entertainment".

I'm too old to believe any longer than the Best Picture has to be some deep, dark, mysterious, multi-level drama or whatever. I appreciate those (no, I don't - I'm just trying to be polite) but just because a picture deals with "deep" subjects like AIDs or 8th grade kids gives it no more panache in my opinion than The Predator eating some spines.

Therefore, ergo and in absentia, we have shown indelica mostum teetis that "The Predator" is, indeed, the Best Picture of the year.


(NOTE: I made up "indelica mostum teetis" or at least sure hope I did.)



I agree that the Best Picture award should go to the best movie, regardless of whether or not the best movie was a hard hitting drama or a good old fashioned action movie. I hate how predictable the Oscars have become. It's at the point now where movies that haven't even been released are considered favourites because they have been made with the Oscars in mind. It's ridiculous. My favourite movies this year have been Avengers Infinity War and Mission Impossible. Neither have any chance of winning despite both of them being really well received by critics and audiences alike. Black Panther might get a nomination but even then, that's more of a political statement than a comment on his good it was. And it was good. But Infinity War was much better. If you think about how difficult it is to make a movie like that. It's an incredible accomplishment. Infinity War is the 18th or 19th movie in the series, it has to reference all the movies that's led to this point, it has to juggle 40 lead characters and also has to set up several sequels. The Fantastic 4 movies were disasters because the filmmakers couldn't deal with 4 heroes in the one movie. And yet Infinity War has loads of them running around. And each one is given just enough time to advance their character arcs without any of them feeling like they're more important than the other. So Infinity War is my personal favourite so far this year.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/30/18 5:14pm

kpowers

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

RodeoSchro said:



My definition of "Best Picture" is "The picture I liked the best". My definition of "The picture I liked the best" is "The picture that provided me the most entertainment".

I'm too old to believe any longer than the Best Picture has to be some deep, dark, mysterious, multi-level drama or whatever. I appreciate those (no, I don't - I'm just trying to be polite) but just because a picture deals with "deep" subjects like AIDs or 8th grade kids gives it no more panache in my opinion than The Predator eating some spines.

Therefore, ergo and in absentia, we have shown indelica mostum teetis that "The Predator" is, indeed, the Best Picture of the year.


(NOTE: I made up "indelica mostum teetis" or at least sure hope I did.)

I agree that the Best Picture award should go to the best movie, regardless of whether or not the best movie was a hard hitting drama or a good old fashioned action movie. I hate how predictable the Oscars have become. It's at the point now where movies that haven't even been released are considered favourites because they have been made with the Oscars in mind. It's ridiculous. My favourite movies this year have been Avengers Infinity War and Mission Impossible. Neither have any chance of winning despite both of them being really well received by critics and audiences alike. Black Panther might get a nomination but even then, that's more of a political statement than a comment on his good it was. And it was good. But Infinity War was much better. If you think about how difficult it is to make a movie like that. It's an incredible accomplishment. Infinity War is the 18th or 19th movie in the series, it has to reference all the movies that's led to this point, it has to juggle 40 lead characters and also has to set up several sequels. The Fantastic 4 movies were disasters because the filmmakers couldn't deal with 4 heroes in the one movie. And yet Infinity War has loads of them running around. And each one is given just enough time to advance their character arcs without any of them feeling like they're more important than the other. So Infinity War is my personal favourite so far this year.

That's why the Saturn Awards are better than the Oscars

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/30/18 10:35pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

At the end of the day the movie has to say something. A good story. Funny, sad, exciting, whatever. But it has to tell a good story and tel it well?

I enjoyed a lot of movies this year, but I found most lacking in the “good story” department regardless of genre. Most aren’t even memorable. Most memorable for me was the second highest grossing movie this year, Incredibles 2. Which is without a doubt sure to win the best animated feature Oscar.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/17/18 2:58pm

kpowers

avatar

fid18627.jpg

Well it's not out yet but it does look good. Could be Oscar worthy

[Edited 10/17/18 14:59pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/17/18 4:29pm

EmmaMcG

kpowers said:

fid18627.jpg


Well it's not out yet but it does look good. Could be Oscar worthy

[Edited 10/17/18 14:59pm]



Probably won't be nominated. Even if it's good, Bryan Singer is out of favour now.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/18/18 3:13pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

kpowers said:

fid18627.jpg


Well it's not out yet but it does look good. Could be Oscar worthy

[Edited 10/17/18 14:59pm]




The lead actor has been singled out as a great performance by early reviews. The movie not so much.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/18/18 3:22pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

The intresting thing this year compared to last year is in the best actress category. Last year, and the year before there were so many OUTSTANDING best actress performances. This year...lol Lady Gaga is getting consideration. She was not bad, but not great either.

This year I hear a lot of sympathy vote talk. Spike Lee for instance. His movie this year was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but I hear a lot of talk about giving him a nomination for his culmative “career” This is the old Hollywood talk that got us so many terrible Oscar picks in years past because of nepotism and sympathy. It needs to be merit only. I hate sympathy votes.

Having said all that, if Lady Gaga gets a nomination she will earn it. Not because she was great (which I don’tthink she was) it will be because of the lack of great choices this year.
[Edited 10/18/18 15:22pm]
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/18/18 3:56pm

EmmaMcG

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

The intresting thing this year compared to last year is in the best actress category. Last year, and the year before there were so many OUTSTANDING best actress performances. This year...lol Lady Gaga is getting consideration. She was not bad, but not great either.

This year I hear a lot of sympathy vote talk. Spike Lee for instance. His movie this year was not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but I hear a lot of talk about giving him a nomination for his culmative “career” This is the old Hollywood talk that got us so many terrible Oscar picks in years past because of nepotism and sympathy. It needs to be merit only. I hate sympathy votes.

Having said all that, if Lady Gaga gets a nomination she will earn it. Not because she was great (which I don’tthink she was) it will be because of the lack of great choices this year.
[Edited 10/18/18 15:22pm]


It definitely hasn't been a stellar year. The upcoming releases don't look great either. The new Clint Eastwood movie could go either way. Other than that though there's not much on the horizon. Creed 2, maybe?

First Man is my pick so far. I'd personally go for Infinity War but unfortunately superhero movies are never considered.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/18/18 4:21pm

luvsexy4all

if that lars van trier thing ever comes out in time...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Your 2018 Oscar picks so far