independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 15th Nov 2018 10:53am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > The 2018-2019 NBA Season Tipoff thread
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 10/29/18 3:12pm

uPtoWnNY

This makes me ashamed to be a Knicks fan - some of these cats are pathetic, begging other team's stars to come here. Waste of money. Shows you how low the franchise has sunk.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/25/kevin ... den-knicks

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 10/30/18 3:18pm

uPtoWnNY

Wow, the Bucks are 7-0. They won last night without the Greek Freak.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 10/31/18 3:57am

RodeoSchro

avatar

The Rockets are 1-5. The Carmelo Experiment isn’t going well.
Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 10/31/18 9:38am

Empress

uPtoWnNY said:

Wow, the Bucks are 7-0. They won last night without the Greek Freak.

I know! I thought the Raps might stand a chance without him, but apparently not. sad

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 10/31/18 8:22pm

uPtoWnNY

RodeoSchro said:

The Rockets are 1-5. The Carmelo Experiment isn’t going well.

The Carmelo nut-huggers on social media were calling me a hater when I said Houston got worse letting those defensive cats go. The proof in the pudding.....

Denver's 6-1, Lakers only have 2 wins and Derrick Rose just dropped 50......WTF??? This season is nuts so far.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 11/01/18 8:08am

namepeace

uPtoWnNY said:

RodeoSchro said:

The Rockets are 1-5. The Carmelo Experiment isn’t going well.

Denver's 6-1, Lakers only have 2 wins and Derrick Rose just dropped 50......WTF??? This season is nuts so far.


Dogs and cats living together . . . lol

It's a big mishmash so far.

Good night, sweet Prince | 7 June 1958 - 21 April 2016

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 11/02/18 6:46am

RodeoSchro

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

RodeoSchro said:

The Rockets are 1-5. The Carmelo Experiment isn’t going well.

The Carmelo nut-huggers on social media were calling me a hater when I said Houston got worse letting those defensive cats go. The proof in the pudding.....

Denver's 6-1, Lakers only have 2 wins and Derrick Rose just dropped 50......WTF??? This season is nuts so far.



If the Knicks had a lick of sense, they'd hire you in their front office.

Apply for a job, and I'll HAPPILY write you an actual letter of recommendation.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 11/02/18 8:05pm

uPtoWnNY

RodeoSchro said:

uPtoWnNY said:

The Carmelo nut-huggers on social media were calling me a hater when I said Houston got worse letting those defensive cats go. The proof in the pudding.....

Denver's 6-1, Lakers only have 2 wins and Derrick Rose just dropped 50......WTF??? This season is nuts so far.



If the Knicks had a lick of sense, they'd hire you in their front office.

Apply for a job, and I'll HAPPILY write you an actual letter of recommendation.

Well, after 17 years, our brain-dead owner finally realised quick fixes don't work in pro sports (as the football Giants have found out). Dolan has backed off and let the front office start 'The Process'. Knicks have a nice infusion of youth and I always liked Fizdale. These young cats are playing hard for him and giving EFFORT on defense. Hopefully in the off-season, we'll get another high draft pick, some A-List free agents and have Porzingis healthy and ready for 2019.

Forget Houston, Washington is the most disappointing team so far. All that talent , TWO All-Star point guards and they're 1-7??????

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 11/02/18 8:42pm

peggyon

We are only at half-time, but the Warriors have definitely woken up tonight playing Minnesota.

Keeping me on the edge of my seat.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 11/03/18 3:56pm

Abdul

uPtoWnNY said:

Forget Houston, Washington is the most disappointing team so far. All that talent , TWO All-Star point guards and they're 1-7??????

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the Wizards, they look terrible so far. Gortat is somewhere laughing I bet!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 11/05/18 11:12am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Oh happy day!


Jeff Bzdelik, the associate head coach that led the Rockets' defensive success last season before he abruptly retired before training camp, on Monday agreed to return to the team, Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta said.



Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 11/05/18 3:15pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

Abdul said:



uPtoWnNY said:




Forget Houston, Washington is the most disappointing team so far. All that talent , TWO All-Star point guards and they're 1-7?????





Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the Wizards, they look terrible so far. Gortat is somewhere laughing I bet!



Our Sixers are only slightly better because of Embiid and Reddick. Ben has been playing like he's pussywhipped by that Kardashian bloodline. Markelle continues to be an enigma. Lack of defensive players on the wing are killing us. I'm hoping Wilson Chandler can give us a spark when he comes back from injury. It's absolutely pathetic for the Sixers to get their asses handed to them by the damn Nets. disbelief
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 11/05/18 3:39pm

uPtoWnNY

phunkdaddy said:

Abdul said:

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the Wizards, they look terrible so far. Gortat is somewhere laughing I bet!

Our Sixers are only slightly better because of Embiid and Reddick. Ben has been playing like he's pussywhipped by that Kardashian bloodline. Markelle continues to be an enigma. Lack of defensive players on the wing are killing us. I'm hoping Wilson Chandler can give us a spark when he comes back from injury. It's absolutely pathetic for the Sixers to get their asses handed to them by the damn Nets. disbelief

The NBA is a long ass up & down season....you're going to have games like that.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 11/05/18 5:48pm

Abdul

phunkdaddy said:


Our Sixers are only slightly better because of Embiid and Reddick. Ben has been playing like he's pussywhipped by that Kardashian bloodline. Markelle continues to be an enigma. Lack of defensive players on the wing are killing us. I'm hoping Wilson Chandler can give us a spark when he comes back from injury. It's absolutely pathetic for the Sixers to get their asses handed to them by the damn Nets. disbelief

It's like they forgot what worked the day before against the Pistons, feed Embiid the ball and let him go to work, eight shot attempts for our best player is a no-no!

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson exposed why we need a real starting SF, Robert Covington is a bench player, 7th or 8th man at best IMO.

Ben needs to stay away from those Kardashian-Jenner witches, they are blood suckers biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 11/06/18 12:19am

Moonbeam

avatar

Portland is doing ok to start the season, but I'm still scarred by the sweep last year. I wouldn't mind a trade of CJ McCollum.

Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 11/06/18 3:04pm

uPtoWnNY

Denver's surprising at 9-1 and how about the Sacramento Kings at 6-4? I have to check them out.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 11/06/18 8:02pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

Something, Nothing or Everything??????? NBA news: LeBron James will ask for THIS Lakers star to be traded on one condition https://www.express.co.uk...ma-Cowherd

[Edited 11/6/18 20:08pm]

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 11/09/18 7:58am

RodeoSchro

avatar

What did we do to deserve Scottie Pippen AND Carmelo Anthony in a 20-year span?!? sad

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 11/09/18 9:43am

Empress

The Raptors are just killing it! So exciting!!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 11/09/18 11:07am

uPtoWnNY

RodeoSchro said:

What did we do to deserve Scottie Pippen AND Carmelo Anthony in a 20-year span?!? sad

Read it and weep...hey, I predicted this shit and mfers called me a hater.

From SB Nation;

1. The Rockets stars have all missed time

The most obvious causation for Houston’s slow start is that James Harden, Chris Paul, and Eric Gordon have combined to miss eight games. The team is 2-1 without Gordon, 1-2 without Harden and 0-2 without Paul.

Three of the best four players on the team missing time is 100 percent a valid reason for a team floundering, but it isn’t the only one.

2. Chris Paul might be feeling his age for the first time

We’ve only played 10 games, but it’s possible that 33-year-old Paul is finally regressing. Going into Wednesday night’s game, he was averaging his fewest points per game in 12 years (17.7) on the worst shooting of his life from the field (39.6 percent) and from three (29.5 percent), all while turning the ball over more frequently than ever (4.4 times per 100 possessions.)

This was always the risk Daryl Morey and co. ran by signing an aging superstar to a four-year, $160 million contract this summer. For Houston to win, it needs everyone at the top of their game by May. If not, they don’t have spare 20-points-per-night players like the Warriors. The Rockets are, and have always been, operating in a tight championship window.

Of course, Paul could recover just fine. It’s something to monitor.

3. Shocker, there’s a Carmelo Anthony problem looming

One of the oddest offseason moves Houston could’ve possibly made actually happened when they signed a mid-range-happy, no-defense-playing 34-year-old Melo. Just like the Thunder, the Rockets have an Anthony problem.

Houston’s coaxed Anthony into accepting a bench role, which is more than his previous bosses can say. But even in more limited minutes, it’s getting harder to justify him playing at all.

In 37 minutes with Melo playing alongside Harden and Paul, Houston is being outscore...ossessions. Anthony shoots just 44 percent from the field, wavers in and out of the team’s conscious effort against long two-point shots, and even more crushingly, hands over points on the other end.

It turns out he isn’t a viable Mbah A Moute or Ariza replacement, or even a Ryan Anderson replacement.

4. There’s nobody to defend opposing wings — the most versatile position in the NBA

I keep harping on those two missing pieces in Mbah A Moute and Ariza, but it’s hard to understate how important they were last season. The league is depending more and more on its 6’5-to-6’9 guys to shoot, score, and create to lead an offense, and Houston let go of its best answers for those talents.

Shooters and slashers are having their way, and that’s alarming.

It’s too early to go into a full panic, but soon it won’t be

It’s just 10 games now, but if a similar level of play persists into the holidays, the Rockets are in deep trouble. They are in Win Now mode with a pair of in-their-prime stars and a maxed-out budget. Coming out of a hole like that won’t be simple.

If there’s anyone that can solve the issue, it’s a mastermind like Morey. The obvious move would be a trade for Jimmy Butler, but is there enough to offer? And what’s the backup plan?

Houston has a lot to worry about, especially with its competitors getting better by the day.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 11/09/18 11:10am

uPtoWnNY

Empress said:

The Raptors are just killing it! So exciting!!

Ibaka's doing work inside, which is where he should be.

Bucks are killing it too...they took it to the Warriors last night.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 11/09/18 12:44pm

Empress

uPtoWnNY said:

Empress said:

The Raptors are just killing it! So exciting!!

Ibaka's doing work inside, which is where he should be.

Bucks are killing it too...they took it to the Warriors last night.

Ibaka has been playing great so far this season. He's really working it.

I heard the Bucks beat GS last night, they are a force to be reckoned with this season for sure.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 11/09/18 2:06pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

RodeoSchro said:

What did we do to deserve Scottie Pippen AND Carmelo Anthony in a 20-year span?!? sad

Read it and weep...hey, I predicted this shit and mfers called me a hater.

From SB Nation;

1. The Rockets stars have all missed time

The most obvious causation for Houston’s slow start is that James Harden, Chris Paul, and Eric Gordon have combined to miss eight games. The team is 2-1 without Gordon, 1-2 without Harden and 0-2 without Paul.

Three of the best four players on the team missing time is 100 percent a valid reason for a team floundering, but it isn’t the only one.

2. Chris Paul might be feeling his age for the first time

We’ve only played 10 games, but it’s possible that 33-year-old Paul is finally regressing. Going into Wednesday night’s game, he was averaging his fewest points per game in 12 years (17.7) on the worst shooting of his life from the field (39.6 percent) and from three (29.5 percent), all while turning the ball over more frequently than ever (4.4 times per 100 possessions.)

This was always the risk Daryl Morey and co. ran by signing an aging superstar to a four-year, $160 million contract this summer. For Houston to win, it needs everyone at the top of their game by May. If not, they don’t have spare 20-points-per-night players like the Warriors. The Rockets are, and have always been, operating in a tight championship window.

Of course, Paul could recover just fine. It’s something to monitor.

3. Shocker, there’s a Carmelo Anthony problem looming

One of the oddest offseason moves Houston could’ve possibly made actually happened when they signed a mid-range-happy, no-defense-playing 34-year-old Melo. Just like the Thunder, the Rockets have an Anthony problem.

Houston’s coaxed Anthony into accepting a bench role, which is more than his previous bosses can say. But even in more limited minutes, it’s getting harder to justify him playing at all.

In 37 minutes with Melo playing alongside Harden and Paul, Houston is being outscore...ossessions. Anthony shoots just 44 percent from the field, wavers in and out of the team’s conscious effort against long two-point shots, and even more crushingly, hands over points on the other end.

It turns out he isn’t a viable Mbah A Moute or Ariza replacement, or even a Ryan Anderson replacement.

4. There’s nobody to defend opposing wings — the most versatile position in the NBA

I keep harping on those two missing pieces in Mbah A Moute and Ariza, but it’s hard to understate how important they were last season. The league is depending more and more on its 6’5-to-6’9 guys to shoot, score, and create to lead an offense, and Houston let go of its best answers for those talents.

Shooters and slashers are having their way, and that’s alarming.

It’s too early to go into a full panic, but soon it won’t be

It’s just 10 games now, but if a similar level of play persists into the holidays, the Rockets are in deep trouble. They are in Win Now mode with a pair of in-their-prime stars and a maxed-out budget. Coming out of a hole like that won’t be simple.

If there’s anyone that can solve the issue, it’s a mastermind like Morey. The obvious move would be a trade for Jimmy Butler, but is there enough to offer? And what’s the backup plan?

Houston has a lot to worry about, especially with its competitors getting better by the day.



I agreed with you 100% on Carmelo Anthony. I did NOT want us to sign him. Scottie Pippen all over again.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 11/10/18 6:44am

728huey

avatar

Abdul said:



uPtoWnNY said:




Forget Houston, Washington is the most disappointing team so far. All that talent , TWO All-Star point guards and they're 1-7?????





Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the Wizards, they look terrible so far. Gortat is somewhere laughing I bet!



The Wizards are 2-9 right now and just lost to Orlando. I expect their coach to be fired pretty soon if not today.

typing
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 11/10/18 8:08am

uPtoWnNY

Empress said:

uPtoWnNY said:

Ibaka's doing work inside, which is where he should be.

Bucks are killing it too...they took it to the Warriors last night.

Ibaka has been playing great so far this season. He's really working it.

I heard the Bucks beat GS last night, they are a force to be reckoned with this season for sure.

Ibaka's playing like a MAN. It always annoyed me seeing him at the three point line. Fuck that shit....get your ass in the paint and go to work! He's doing it. They host my team later today.

Rodeo - Epic FAIL by the Rockets front office. If they felt the team needed more offensive punch (in case one of their stars got hurt), why not pursue Jimmy Butler instead of Carmelo Anthony? Jimmy B gives effort on BOTH ends of the court.

728huey - Wizards will have a big time fire sale by the trading deadline. I bet either Wall or Beal might go.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 11/10/18 1:07pm

uPtoWnNY

UPDATE - Philly traded Robert Covingto, Dario Saric, Jerryd Bayless and a 2022 second round pick to Minnesota for Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 11/10/18 6:03pm

728huey

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

UPDATE - Philly traded Robert Covingto, Dario Saric, Jerryd Bayless and a 2022 second round pick to Minnesota for Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton.



Was just about to update this myself.

http://www.espn.com/nba/s...phia-76ers

typing

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 11/10/18 10:06pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

Welcome Jimmy Buckets to Philadelphia clapping

Now the Sixers can compete with Boston, Milwaukee, and Toronto in the East

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 11/11/18 6:19am

uPtoWnNY

phunkdaddy said:

Welcome Jimmy Buckets to Philadelphia clapping

Now the Sixers can compete with Boston, Milwaukee, and Toronto in the East

There could be problems if Jimmy Butler doesn't understand it's Joel Embiid's team. And Simmons likes to have the ball in his hands, so they'll need a "meeting of the minds". Otherwise it'll be the same shit that went down in Minnesota. It might take a while to adjust, like it did for the big 3 in Miami.

As Sir Charles said, Philly has to address their lack of depth, particularly at the 4. I see another move coming by the trading deadline.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 11/11/18 2:03pm

Abdul

Butler is a big upgrade from Covington, if he checks his ego at the door and accepts the fact that this is Embiid's team we should be good. Plus we didn't have to give up a future first round pick either, I like this deal biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > The 2018-2019 NBA Season Tipoff thread