independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 18th Jul 2018 9:08am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Fan Gatherings > Heading 2 MPLS / Paisley Park 4 1st time ...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/20/17 11:10am

wreckasto

avatar

Heading 2 MPLS / Paisley Park 4 1st time ...

My wife and I are finally making the trip to MPLS 10/1 - 10/4 for our 25th Anniversary. Beyond Paisley , First Ave. , Bunkers , The Dakota and Electric Fetus any other suggestions 2 get the full purple experience ? Any shows , concerts , Associated Artists performing ? Looking 4 suggestions 2 make this trip a memorable one.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/20/17 11:46am

kingricefan

You can Google to find out where the house is that they used in Purple Rain. Also there are lots of murals around the 'Uptown' area. There's the musical notes mural in a parking lot where Prince did his first professional photographs taken, which is close to First Avenue. There's also the real Lake Minnetonka where you can stick your toe in and be purified, which isn't far from Paisley Park. I hope that you're taking the VIP tour as it is so much better than the general one. Be sure to ask about the 'hidden' room when you're in the editingroom/office. Oh, when you're at Paisley Park be sure to walk down the sidewalk that's in front of PP to see the Graffiti Bridge area (it's underneath the main road in front of PP and can also be reached from the park on the other side of the main road but if you go this way make sure you go past the first tunnel as there's two more along the path) where fans have left momentos and written heartfelt messages to Prince. It's a very moving experience! Enjoy!

[Edited 9/20/17 11:48am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/20/17 1:18pm

TrivialPursuit

Search the Org. There are extensive posts about just that.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/20/17 1:42pm

imtbone

wreckasto said:

My wife and I are finally making the trip to MPLS 10/1 - 10/4 for our 25th Anniversary. Beyond Paisley , First Ave. , Bunkers , The Dakota and Electric Fetus any other suggestions 2 get the full purple experience ? Any shows , concerts , Associated Artists performing ? Looking 4 suggestions 2 make this trip a memorable one.

What other interests do you have besides Prince? You are picking a PRIMO time to visit with the fall colors. Our marathon, Twin Cities Marathon, will be happening the morning of Oct. 1

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/20/17 1:53pm

Els

avatar

We enjoyed going to the Hardrock Cafe in the Mall of America, it has some clothes of Prince. We also enjoyed our visit to the arboretum, but I do not know if they are still open in October.

Let's dance Sugar
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/20/17 1:56pm

TXfan

I went for the first time last year, opening day of Paisley Park as a museum. I found Chanhassen to be really nice, I can see why Prince liked it. Try to visit the Basilica and Cathedral in both Minneapolis and St. Paul. Really nice architecture. I also took a guided tour of First Ave., not sure if they're still doing that there but it was really cool to hear the history of that place and see where some of Purple Rain was filmed. The old house is in sad shape but nice to see it's still there after all these years. Enjoy your trip and be safe.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/20/17 2:51pm

wreckasto

avatar

kingricefan said:

You can Google to find out where the house is that they used in Purple Rain. Also there are lots of murals around the 'Uptown' area. There's the musical notes mural in a parking lot where Prince did his first professional photographs taken, which is close to First Avenue. There's also the real Lake Minnetonka where you can stick your toe in and be purified, which isn't far from Paisley Park. I hope that you're taking the VIP tour as it is so much better than the general one. Be sure to ask about the 'hidden' room when you're in the editingroom/office. Oh, when you're at Paisley Park be sure to walk down the sidewalk that's in front of PP to see the Graffiti Bridge area (it's underneath the main road in front of PP and can also be reached from the park on the other side of the main road but if you go this way make sure you go past the first tunnel as there's two more along the path) where fans have left momentos and written heartfelt messages to Prince. It's a very moving experience! Enjoy!

[Edited 9/20/17 11:48am]



Thanks for all the good tips , I really appreciate it .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/20/17 4:18pm

kingricefan

I forgot about the Hard Rock Cafe! biggrin

Els said:

We enjoyed going to the Hardrock Cafe in the Mall of America, it has some clothes of Prince. We also enjoyed our visit to the arboretum, but I do not know if they are still open in October.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/20/17 4:28pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

If you fancy a walking day, you can cover a lot on foot downtown in one day. First Avenue (if the tour is on, its well worth it), musical muriel not far away. A further walk north is Capri and the Anderson house. Hop on the metro blue south for 15 mins to 38th St and you can walk to the Purple Rain house. You can build the day around a lunch at 7th St Cafe or Fine line/Dakota, and I recommend an evening at Bunkers (on your first or second night to catch The Combo). You can do all of that in a casual day.

Electric Fetus is a short drive, but simple to park, as is Uptown/Calhoun Square. Both are cheap in an Uber if you don't rent a car.

Out near the Park, you've got the new muriel behond Chanhassen Inn, then a little drive further for the Lake or PR filming sites.

There is also a local tour bus that covers most of these, but I found it fun on foot downtown.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/20/17 6:05pm

kingricefan

You should move there and be a tour guide!! I didn't even do half of these things. sad

SquirrelMeat said:

If you fancy a walking day, you can cover a lot on foot downtown in one day. First Avenue (if the tour is on, its well worth it), musical muriel not far away. A further walk north is Capri and the Anderson house. Hop on the metro blue south for 15 mins to 38th St and you can walk to the Purple Rain house. You can build the day around a lunch at 7th St Cafe or Fine line/Dakota, and I recommend an evening at Bunkers (on your first or second night to catch The Combo). You can do all of that in a casual day.

Electric Fetus is a short drive, but simple to park, as is Uptown/Calhoun Square. Both are cheap in an Uber if you don't rent a car.

Out near the Park, you've got the new muriel behond Chanhassen Inn, then a little drive further for the Lake or PR filming sites.

There is also a local tour bus that covers most of these, but I found it fun on foot downtown.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/21/17 5:09am

wreckasto

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

If you fancy a walking day, you can cover a lot on foot downtown in one day. First Avenue (if the tour is on, its well worth it), musical muriel not far away. A further walk north is Capri and the Anderson house. Hop on the metro blue south for 15 mins to 38th St and you can walk to the Purple Rain house. You can build the day around a lunch at 7th St Cafe or Fine line/Dakota, and I recommend an evening at Bunkers (on your first or second night to catch The Combo). You can do all of that in a casual day.

Electric Fetus is a short drive, but simple to park, as is Uptown/Calhoun Square. Both are cheap in an Uber if you don't rent a car.

Out near the Park, you've got the new muriel behond Chanhassen Inn, then a little drive further for the Lake or PR filming sites.

There is also a local tour bus that covers most of these, but I found it fun on foot downtown.




All of these suggestions are very helpful. Thanks.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/22/17 3:05am

Starlit

If you'd like to have a look inside First Avenue and no tours are on, try to go before a performance starts and ask the security at the door if you can have a quick look around. I did (last week wink ), they were super friendly : they let me in, let me go on stage and everything. (All the people I met in Chanhassen and Minneapolis were just really nice biggrin ) I'm sure the tour is more interesting but there weren't any when I was there so I was just really happy with this quick visit.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Fan Gatherings > Heading 2 MPLS / Paisley Park 4 1st time ...