independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 19th Nov 2017 9:50pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > prince.org site discussion > A genuine query
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/01/17 9:09am

skilletnomicro
wave

avatar

A genuine query

I've been a member here for a number of years but I've never seen things so bad on this forum. I am a member of other forums, both music and sport, on facebook and otherwise, but I've never witnessed the amount of unhappiness and dissatisfaction on those other forums as I do see here.

There is a lot of ongoing contention for some members and especially some mods. I get the feeling that members are not allowed to express themselves in an adult fashion on many occasions for fear of having their comments edited or deleted and it feels like this place will suffer from too much moderation.

I'm not a child and I totally get why moderation is necessary but boy its like a military over here, so much so that it drives people away with only poor things to say about the forum on a whole.

I recently saw a post where a person made a comment which was in no way inflammatory, rude, aggressive, rule breaking or otherwise, but because it challenged a particular mod the comment was deleted from the thread.

What I've also noticed on many occasions is some members who seem to be attached to some mods coattails, they are never far behind and always have something supporting to say on behalf of said mod.
Its almost surreal sometimes when I see it happening.

I'm not here to call anyone out (unless if its necessary), what I'm hoping for is an adult discussion on what I see or what is brought to my attention on a regular basis.

I'm not looking for 'If you don't like it you can leave' responses because they offer no solutions.

Could situations be handled better?
Why are people not allowed to speak up or express themselves without being called a troll?
How is a mod selected?
Who makes the decision to do nothing when one member is abusive, racist or clearly dismissive of others?
If there's an issue, is there a collective agreement to resolve the problem?
If a post is deleted is it discussed with the op? Is the op given a chance to contest the decision.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/01/17 9:50am

KingBAD

lol lol lol lol lol

most folks round here

see themselves as one

of the heroes in

'the suicide squad'

among other things...

how happy could they be???

and AND with the extra added

bonus of bein able to lament

er death they can talk about

it makes this forum a lovely

place to cry...

lol lol lol lol lol lol

or

neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral

i am KING BAD!!!
you are NOT...
evilking
"KingBAD, well you are just a troll" (an emotional fan)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/01/17 10:07am

peedub

avatar

i have to think the mods are over active out of complete boredom or to merely justify their presence. there're only like 9 people here, anymore, arguing the same shit ad nauseum.

this thread will be 'moderated' to the 'site discussion' forum in 3...2...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/01/17 11:10am

skilletnomicro
wave

avatar

peedub said:

to merely justify their presence.


Do you mean there's some kind of status if you're known as a mod inside or outside of this forum?

Also, I'd like to clarify that I'd like to know why this forum is so regimented. Is it some kind of armour that has been built up over the years and needs to be implemented.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/01/17 1:01pm

BillieBalloon

It would be good to get some moderator input on your query.

It seems that certain topics are heavily moderated and others are not which results in a lack of consistency. I think its this inconsistecy that causes confusion and misunderstanding.
Baby, you're a star.

Meet me in another world, space and joy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/01/17 1:34pm

maplenpg

skilletnomicrowave said:

peedub said:

to merely justify their presence.


Do you mean there's some kind of status if you're known as a mod inside or outside of this forum?

Also, I'd like to clarify that I'd like to know why this forum is so regimented. Is it some kind of armour that has been built up over the years and needs to be implemented.

I think the mods do a fantastic job and I'm glad that the site has standards. Call it what you want but people are loyal to the org and I believe the mods play a big part in that.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/01/17 1:57pm

carmela3

maplenpg said:

skilletnomicrowave said:



Do you mean there's some kind of status if you're known as a mod inside or outside of this forum?

Also, I'd like to clarify that I'd like to know why this forum is so regimented. Is it some kind of armour that has been built up over the years and needs to be implemented.

I think the mods do a fantastic job and I'm glad that the site has standards. Call it what you want but people are loyal to the org and I believe the mods play a big part in that.

Would you mind elaborating on what you are referring to when you say this site has standards?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/01/17 2:03pm

skilletnomicro
wave

avatar

maplenpg said:

skilletnomicrowave said:



Do you mean there's some kind of status if you're known as a mod inside or outside of this forum?

Also, I'd like to clarify that I'd like to know why this forum is so regimented. Is it some kind of armour that has been built up over the years and needs to be implemented.

I think the mods do a fantastic job and I'm glad that the site has standards. Call it what you want but people are loyal to the org and I believe the mods play a big part in that.

With respect, standards are a point of view and clearly yours in this case is at the opposite spectrum to mine.
I believe it stifles meaningful debate and discussion. Are we children here?
[Edited 8/1/17 14:04pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/01/17 11:58pm

maplenpg

carmela3 said:

maplenpg said:
I think the mods do a fantastic job and I'm glad that the site has standards. Call it what you want but people are loyal to the org and I believe the mods play a big part in that.
Would you mind elaborating on what you are referring to when you say this site has standards?

That personal insults (over a limit) are snipped. That vile, offensive, racial comments are snipped. That posts that are obvious troll posts are snipped. I post and lurk mainly in P&R and it is far from a meaningful discussion in there at times, without the mods it would be a free for all. The people who use the Org mostly have a common theme that unites us, when people try to disrupt that unity - people who clearly don't like Prince, or who clearly want to stir up trouble in P&R - then it can either become a slanging match or instead the mods just snip and sometimes ban, I'm glad it's the latter.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/02/17 12:05am

maplenpg

skilletnomicrowave said:

maplenpg said:
I think the mods do a fantastic job and I'm glad that the site has standards. Call it what you want but people are loyal to the org and I believe the mods play a big part in that.
With respect, standards are a point of view and clearly yours in this case is at the opposite spectrum to mine. I believe it stifles meaningful debate and discussion. Are we children here? [Edited 8/1/17 14:04pm]

I agree that standards are a point of view but we differ when we say it stifles meaningful debate. I think it is quite the opposite. Vile, name-calling often detracts and sends threads way off topic - especially in P&R. There are few children here, remember Prince was at his height decades ago, yet some posters are either clearly trolling or go off-topic to insult the creator of a post rather than challenging their beliefs. I'd rather those comments were snipped and threads stayed on topic, I'm glad when certain members get banned - I'm under no illusion that they sometimes just set up another username but they often curb their behaviour for a while at least.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/02/17 3:29am

carmela3

maplenpg said:



carmela3 said:


maplenpg said:
I think the mods do a fantastic job and I'm glad that the site has standards. Call it what you want but people are loyal to the org and I believe the mods play a big part in that.

Would you mind elaborating on what you are referring to when you say this site has standards?

That personal insults (over a limit) are snipped. That vile, offensive, racial comments are snipped. That posts that are obvious troll posts are snipped. I post and lurk mainly in P&R and it is far from a meaningful discussion in there at times, without the mods it would be a free for all. The people who use the Org mostly have a common theme that unites us, when people try to disrupt that unity - people who clearly don't like Prince, or who clearly want to stir up trouble in P&R - then it can either become a slanging match or instead the mods just snip and sometimes ban, I'm glad it's the latter.




Very interesting.
My opinion of P&R couldn't be more opposite.
In all the forums I've observed selective censoring (& selective non censoring) of selected people lol.
Regarding the censoring of vile, offensive & racist comments that you mentioned (also in the case of certain trolls/bullies) it appears to depend on who says what, & what who says lol.
(typo edit)
[Edited 8/2/17 4:16am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/02/17 3:33am

carmela3

BillieBalloon said:

It would be good to get some moderator input on your query.

It seems that certain topics are heavily moderated and others are not which results in a lack of consistency. I think its this inconsistecy that causes confusion and misunderstanding.


Yes, it would be good.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/02/17 6:50am

carmela3

Oh! I suppose I'll just stand then lmao, didn't realise posting the couch emoji was against the rules! lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/02/17 8:19am

KingBAD

carmela3 said:

Oh! I suppose I'll just stand then lmao, didn't realise posting the couch emoji was against the rules! lol

i was gonna go with popcorn

i am KING BAD!!!
you are NOT...
evilking
"KingBAD, well you are just a troll" (an emotional fan)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/02/17 8:22am

KingBAD

yo!!!!

quit kidnappin me and bringin me to these

'otha' forums....

how i keep endin up in p&r and posd

i'll never unnastand...

i don't come to these places and i'm at that

age where the mind starts playin tricks on folks

anyway... eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

i am KING BAD!!!
you are NOT...
evilking
"KingBAD, well you are just a troll" (an emotional fan)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/02/17 8:30am

KingBAD

"people who clearly don't like Prince..."

hay hay haaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy....

we don't have to like the midget to be

a fan of his earlier self and that music...

and he was a consistant from the beginnin

an icon in the music industry for decades....

NOW IS THIS GONNA GET MOVED TO

PRINCE MUSIC AND MORE????

i've seen my shit get moved for

a comment half that long.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

i am KING BAD!!!
you are NOT...
evilking
"KingBAD, well you are just a troll" (an emotional fan)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/02/17 8:52am

carmela3

KingBAD said:




carmela3 said:


Oh! I suppose I'll just stand then lmao, didn't realise posting the couch emoji was against the rules! lol

i was gonna go with popcorn



Better not, if my comfy couch offends ,no telling what your snacks will do
lurking
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/02/17 8:52am

carmela3

KingBAD said:

yo!!!!


quit kidnappin me and bringin me to these


'otha' forums....


how i keep endin up in p&r and posd


i'll never unnastand...


i don't come to these places and i'm at that


age where the mind starts playin tricks on folks


anyway... eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek


falloff
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/02/17 2:56pm

June7

Moderator

avatar

moderator

skilletnomicrowave said:

Could situations be handled better?
Why are people not allowed to speak up or express themselves without being called a troll?
How is a mod selected?
Who makes the decision to do nothing when one member is abusive, racist or clearly dismissive of others?
If there's an issue, is there a collective agreement to resolve the problem?
If a post is deleted is it discussed with the op? Is the op given a chance to contest the decision.


1. Yes, errr ... define situations.
2. Depends on what is said or expressed. Define troll.
3. Every once in a purple sky, ben asks for volunteers. We current mods voice our opinion on who's submitting themselves and usually agree on those selected.
4. The moderator who looks into the reported thread decides which action, if any, to take.
5. Define issue. If you mean if a member doesn't like how they were moderated, and wants to bring it to a "tribal council" so to speak, for a review of that moderator's decision? No. It's very, very rarely, if ever, done. Our individual decisions are pretty much final.
6. No. And no. In fact, if you create a new thread or continue to argue that decision elsewhere in another thread, etc., further action may be taken.

I'm not answering these to be a smart ass or jerk - these are honest and valid answers to your questions.
[PRINCE 4EVER!]

[June7, "ModGod"]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/02/17 6:20pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

peedub said:

i have to think the mods are over active out of complete boredom or to merely justify their presence. there're only like 9 people here, anymore, arguing the same shit ad nauseum.

this thread will be 'moderated' to the 'site discussion' forum in 3...2...

just in a holistic view of this 'discussion'

your last line shows how too many members think they are being treated unfairly when so many are breaking site rules or like this thread (originally) being posted in the wrong forum.

3 2 1 moved to the appropriate forum Site Discussion.
If it was posted in the Prince Music & More forum. What does it have to do with Prince Music & More?
Why would it stay in a forum that is inapropriate?

3 2 1

maybe if more member took a grasp of how they are to proceed on the Org we would not have to

in 3 2 1 take the time to move a thread to the appropriate forum.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/04/17 5:17pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

maplenpg said:

skilletnomicrowave said:
Do you mean there's some kind of status if you're known as a mod inside or outside of this forum? Also, I'd like to clarify that I'd like to know why this forum is so regimented. Is it some kind of armour that has been built up over the years and needs to be implemented.
I think the mods do a fantastic job and I'm glad that the site has standards. Call it what you want but people are loyal to the org and I believe the mods play a big part in that.

💜

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/04/17 9:26pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TROLL THREAD

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > prince.org site discussion > A genuine query