independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 19th Oct 2017 11:19am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > This is OLD but in Her Own Words- Denise "Vanity" on Meeting Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 09/17/17 3:18pm

purplefam99

Vashtix said:

Another pic of older Vanity because the one posted in the video is so matronly.









Thanks what a cute little fox she is.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 09/17/17 3:23pm

purplefam99

anangellooksdown said:

purplefam99 said:




That would not be easy, to leave prince, and when she talks about that she had too, I sense no regret yet can still sense her deep love for him.


Oh yes. This was only a year after she left. When speaking of him she is still in pain. She said later that she suffered.



Wow! Ok wow! Then that is fresh and even with the impact of purple rain
She still seems settled with,she did the right thing to leave or the thing God
Told her was right, and I sense no regret. Wow!! What fortitude!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 09/17/17 4:17pm

Vashtix

purplefam99 said:

Vashtix said:

Another pic of older Vanity because the one posted in the video is so matronly.

Thanks what a cute little fox she is.

cool nod

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 10/09/17 1:27pm

Toban

Vashtix said:

I like how she calls her meeting a Cinderella story; that seems to be a theme used by many protoges of Prince.

.

She also mentions the real Prince. I get the feeling many never had the opportunity to see the real Prince . He seems to have been a true chameleon.

[Edited 9/9/17 8:16am]

I wonder how many times she had been ask that question and how many ways different ways she has answered it.

Denise would often tell me the same story more than just a few times.

It was not that I just found it easier to let her finish than to interrupt her, or that out of concern I was always analyzing her mental and physical health. I simply enjoyed her storytelling. It was familiar, comforting… she reminded me so much of DeBorah. Sometimes too much; those who knew them both might have some idea of what I mean. In fact Prince spent more time with both Debbie and Denise together then I ever did. I’m certain he observed their identical (twin) quirks, mannerisms and physical similarities; at times sitting in for Vanity, though Debbie is 6 inches taller.

.

Denise writes about how they met a number of different ways and there are a few newspaper interviews from back in the earlier 80’s that tell a completely different story.

Reading one version of her narrative and then another is kind of like listening to her telling me the same story again. She always adds some extra detail left out of a prior telling.

.

Cinderella and The Wizard of Oz is just two of the comparisons she often makes regarding their meeting. Their long on off, love hate history she refers to as one of the Great Romances, like Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.

.

Over the years our conversations never dulled and always varied depending upon the task at hand, with me coming over specifically to fix or help something or just hanging out cooking, listening to music, dancing around the entire apartment or watching TV.

Except for our talking about her cats, sweet potato pie and opening up a bakery, most of our conversations had a spiritual and a scientific theme as to why things were as they were in the world. Denise would share a spiritual message with me, she would often take my hand as I was driving and she would pray for miles, but she never preached at me.

I am certain she didn’t understand everything on my thoughts or theory of gravity, most don’t. But she understood and agreed that man’s lack of understanding of gravity ultimately has the world powers warring over oil in ancient biblical lands, making them significant, which has us headed towards the Times of the End.

.

The point being is that she listened. Denise paid close attention to my science and my poetry, and would later show me that she had been listening closer than I knew.

She being so much like Debbie, and knowing the Denise I spent so much day to day mundane time with, I’m certain with all the time they spent that she truly knew a Prince.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 10/14/17 3:45pm

Toban

luvgirl said:

Vashtix said:

No , they dated , per info from TOB he went after her and did not let on he had girlfriends in Minneapoplis. He gave good info in this thread http://prince.org/msg/5/4...&pg=3.

He gives even more insight; he shared Prince studied her due her having an extensive resume and of course looks. He knew what he was doing when he met her.

He had to persuade her jump in and somehow she fell for him, she fell in love.

Yes, that was an interesting perspective from TOB point of view. He thought that it was likely that Prince knew of her beforehand. I'm not confused as to if they dated in the beginning before she moved to Minneapolis. I know that they did date. She's written about it as well as said that they did in many different interviews. I meant when Prince was pursuing her in the first few days or so. She said he kept calling and pursued her until she dated him and I also thought I heard her say that she wasn't interested in him at first in those first few days but I'm not sure. EDIT TO ADD: It was at the 1:17 mark. Can you make out what she said?

[Edited 9/10/17 12:53pm]

When you factor in that he had been working on the formation of a sexy all girl group, that he wanted to make a movie before he met her, and that he had women back home while he romanced/pursed/stalked her, it is hard to call it dating.

However, it is evident that his initial intent had at some point been altered under her musing influence.

What she did to cause it, what about her influenced, moved and mused him, and then when did his intent change is the question. Also, to what degree did he change before he discovered her plan to leave?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 10/14/17 8:38pm

purplegirl00

Toban said:

Vashtix said:

I like how she calls her meeting a Cinderella story; that seems to be a theme used by many protoges of Prince.

.

She also mentions the real Prince. I get the feeling many never had the opportunity to see the real Prince . He seems to have been a true chameleon.

[Edited 9/9/17 8:16am]

I wonder how many times she had been ask that question and how many ways different ways she has answered it.

Denise would often tell me the same story more than just a few times.

It was not that I just found it easier to let her finish than to interrupt her, or that out of concern I was always analyzing her mental and physical health. I simply enjoyed her storytelling. It was familiar, comforting… she reminded me so much of DeBorah. Sometimes too much; those who knew them both might have some idea of what I mean. In fact Prince spent more time with both Debbie and Denise together then I ever did. I’m certain he observed their identical (twin) quirks, mannerisms and physical similarities; at times sitting in for Vanity, though Debbie is 6 inches taller.

.

Denise writes about how they met a number of different ways and there are a few newspaper interviews from back in the earlier 80’s that tell a completely different story.

Reading one version of her narrative and then another is kind of like listening to her telling me the same story again. She always adds some extra detail left out of a prior telling.

.

Cinderella and The Wizard of Oz is just two of the comparisons she often makes regarding their meeting. Their long on off, love hate history she refers to as one of the Great Romances, like Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.

.

Over the years our conversations never dulled and always varied depending upon the task at hand, with me coming over specifically to fix or help something or just hanging out cooking, listening to music, dancing around the entire apartment or watching TV.

Except for our talking about her cats, sweet potato pie and opening up a bakery, most of our conversations had a spiritual and a scientific theme as to why things were as they were in the world. Denise would share a spiritual message with me, she would often take my hand as I was driving and she would pray for miles, but she never preached at me.

I am certain she didn’t understand everything on my thoughts or theory of gravity, most don’t. But she understood and agreed that man’s lack of understanding of gravity ultimately has the world powers warring over oil in ancient biblical lands, making them significant, which has us headed towards the Times of the End.

.

The point being is that she listened. Denise paid close attention to my science and my poetry, and would later show me that she had been listening closer than I knew.

She being so much like Debbie, and knowing the Denise I spent so much day to day mundane time with, I’m certain with all the time they spent that she truly knew a Prince.

Thank you for sharing your time and experiences with Denise. She was truly a special lady. Also thank you for shedding light on what her friendship/ companionship with Prince might have been like through that perspective.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 10/14/17 8:56pm

purplegirl00

Toban said:

luvgirl said:

Yes, that was an interesting perspective from TOB point of view. He thought that it was likely that Prince knew of her beforehand. I'm not confused as to if they dated in the beginning before she moved to Minneapolis. I know that they did date. She's written about it as well as said that they did in many different interviews. I meant when Prince was pursuing her in the first few days or so. She said he kept calling and pursued her until she dated him and I also thought I heard her say that she wasn't interested in him at first in those first few days but I'm not sure. EDIT TO ADD: It was at the 1:17 mark. Can you make out what she said?

[Edited 9/10/17 12:53pm]

When you factor in that he had been working on the formation of a sexy all girl group, that he wanted to make a movie before he met her, and that he had women back home while he romanced/pursed/stalked her, it is hard to call it dating.

However, it is evident that his initial intent had at some point been altered under her musing influence.

What she did to cause it, what about her influenced, moved and mused him, and then when did his intent change is the question. Also, to what degree did he change before he discovered her plan to leave?

It sounds like he first had the vision of the girl group and the movie, and his intent was to find the right person to fit and cast as the leading woman into these projects. You said in an earlier post, that he must've done his homework, so do you think the meeting at the AMAs was pre-planned, orchestrated? Did Denise allude to that with you or in her writings?

.

She was already in love with him when she went out to MPLS, so I also wonder when and what changed the dynamics on his side? Because when she left, she left him and these two projects hanging. Also based on different things I've read, he was upset/ heartbroken by her departure.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 10/14/17 9:46pm

Bodhitheblackd
og

purplefam99 said:

Vashtix said:

Denise/Vanity was refreshing because she was not playing coy at all- she was honest and real about him. There is another interview floating around when she admitted he wanted her to write more about him in her book but she did not do it. Their friendship lasted for decades and I think she was his equal and person who lived life similar to him in sensibilities of the heart, soul and mind.

*

I will always believe her death rocked him because she was one of the few real people in his life and seeing a friend and contemporary die has to make you look at your own mortality different

His tribute to her when she died and afterward said all I needed to know of how special and dear their friendship was to him. It outlasted bands, girlfriends, sidepieces and wives.

I do agree with you, I feel she said no to him more than anyone and that is why Their friendship lasted she wasn't afraid to say no. And I think when she dropped All things Vanity that was the moment he envied her the most, possibly. Because she freely said no more, and I think he highly admired that, and wanted that liberation to a degree. My feeling. [Edited 9/13/17 20:12pm]

yes

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 10/15/17 3:59am

Vashtix

Toban said:

luvgirl said:

Yes, that was an interesting perspective from TOB point of view. He thought that it was likely that Prince knew of her beforehand. I'm not confused as to if they dated in the beginning before she moved to Minneapolis. I know that they did date. She's written about it as well as said that they did in many different interviews. I meant when Prince was pursuing her in the first few days or so. She said he kept calling and pursued her until she dated him and I also thought I heard her say that she wasn't interested in him at first in those first few days but I'm not sure. EDIT TO ADD: It was at the 1:17 mark. Can you make out what she said?

[Edited 9/10/17 12:53pm]

When you factor in that he had been working on the formation of a sexy all girl group, that he wanted to make a movie before he met her, and that he had women back home while he romanced/pursed/stalked her, it is hard to call it dating.

However, it is evident that his initial intent had at some point been altered under her musing influence.

What she did to cause it, what about her influenced, moved and mused him, and then when did his intent change is the question. Also, to what degree did he change before he discovered her plan to leave?

This is what I would love to know but he is gone and unless you find it in her journals we will never know. It would be interesting to know what was the pivotal thing-

I tend to sway toward he found a true kindred spirit in Denise that was not merely due to her beauty or sexuality because those fade overtime. If it had been that alone the companionship you explained they kept for themselves and to themselves for decades would have existed.

.

I am not trying to offend anyone as I am reprimanded at times for saying this but I do believe their need for companionship with one another was due to finding a kindred soul to share with and just be with who "got" the other and she once she left in the 80s, was not on his payroll , or looking for a come up, or attempting to maintain public relevance. I would imagine that is freeing and a reason enough alone to maintain a friendship as you described they maintained.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 10/15/17 1:31pm

anangellooksdo
wn

Just had to share this today: smile

https://youtu.be/xY1QcJ6myYQ
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > This is OLD but in Her Own Words- Denise "Vanity" on Meeting Prince