independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 18th Jun 2018 5:33pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Lisa’s valid points about moving forward
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/08/18 10:32am

purplerabbitho
le

Lisa’s valid points about moving forward

http://www.mcall.com/ente...story.html

Insightful lady.
[Edited 3/8/18 10:35am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/08/18 10:53am

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

Very interesting comments by Lisa.

eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/08/18 12:33pm

stlmuziqlvr

I agree, purplerabbithole. When she spoke of Prince, I could truly feel the warmth. Thank you for posting.

purplerabbithole said:

http://www.mcall.com/ente...story.html Insightful lady. [Edited 3/8/18 10:35am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/08/18 1:18pm

laurarichardso
n

purplerabbithole said:

http://www.mcall.com/ente...story.html Insightful lady. [Edited 3/8/18 10:35am]

I would like to see them do new music and Prince was right about not going backward.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/08/18 2:23pm

WeDaBest

Thanks for posting

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/08/18 5:17pm

Mumio

avatar

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

Very interesting comments by Lisa.

eek


I thought so too.

I don't think I'd go see The Rev but I might see NPG if they play somewhere near me.

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/09/18 12:02am

ChanGirl

I drove to Atlanta to see the Revolution on Feb 24th and took my 25 y/o guitarist son with me. He was blown away, especially by Wendy. They opened with America and slayed the rest of the night.

I was unsure about how I'd feel because I'm still so destroyed about Prince. I'm glad we went.

You know Prince wasn't no damn drug addict !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/09/18 4:25am

lastdecember

avatar

Saw the Revolution here at BB KINGS in NYC last April and i was floored, I mean I knew it would be an emotional night, but it blew my mind how tight this band is playing and organized and never missed a beat. This article is such a good interview and take on the situation, they should do what they feel natural, death often brings us together, so if it leads to new work then go for it, dont question it, people are gonna say "oh they are doing it for money etc" whatever you cant live for what people will think live for yourself. The parts of this interview pointing out that she wished reached out to Prince seeing how he did not look himself at all, and I think people here on the ORG were trying to ignore this too after his death, but you can just look at him in photos and see he was not well, and that Piano and Microphone was really like his going back to how it began but I am not sure it was for reasons we think, I think it was more because he knew this was over.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/09/18 6:36am

databank

avatar

I really think she has it spot on with P wouldn't be into the tribute thing and it's more respectful to move on and compose their own stuff. To some extent Prince often acted as a self-tribute band, like many other acts before him, and I already was bored with that as a fan: I didn't want Purple Rain or Kiss, I wanted the latest music played on stage! My favorite post-96 tours were the ONA and LOL tours. With all the respect I have for many other artists I've seen live, I was somewhat bored with the live shows I attended because it was mostly "best of" tours and it sounded so, you know, "automatic", those folks had been playing those songs to death and there wasn't anything new for them in it. I saw Miles a few months before he passed in 91 and I'm so much into his Marcus Miller period but regardless, he wasn't playing the classic stuff from his hard bop or electric periods and I super respect that. Same with George and the P-Funk crew, even though they keep revisiting the classic they also keep messing-up with it and adding a lot of live improvisation to it so it still, somehow, sounds fresh.

.

So yeah, while I respect artists doing whatever they please, I wouldn't be much interested in listening to The Revolution play Prince's 1983-86 music for the next 20 years. For one thing I'd really love it if they'd play songs from their own solo records, but I'd like it even more if they'd record new music and the shows were a mix of new stuff and a few classics from both their solo projects and their time with P nod

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/09/18 6:44am

laurarichardso
n

databank said:

I really think she has it spot on with P wouldn't be into the tribute thing and it's more respectful to move on and compose their own stuff. To some extent Prince often acted as a self-tribute band, like many other acts before him, and I already was bored with that as a fan: I didn't want Purple Rain or Kiss, I wanted the latest music played on stage! My favorite post-96 tours were the ONA and LOL tours. With all the respect I have for many other artists I've seen live, I was somewhat bored with the live shows I attended because it was mostly "best of" tours and it sounded so, you know, "automatic", those folks had been playing those songs to death and there wasn't anything new for them in it. I saw Miles a few months before he passed in 91 and I'm so much into his Marcus Miller period but regardless, he wasn't playing the classic stuff from his hard bop or electric periods and I super respect that. Same with George and the P-Funk crew, even though they keep revisiting the classic they also keep messing-up with it and adding a lot of live improvisation to it so it still, somehow, sounds fresh.

.

So yeah, while I respect artists doing whatever they please, I wouldn't be much interested in listening to The Revolution play Prince's 1983-86 music for the next 20 years. For one thing I'd really love it if they'd play songs from their own solo records, but I'd like it even more if they'd record new music and the shows were a mix of new stuff and a few classics from both their solo projects and their time with P nod

Prince did plenty of tours were he did not even play PR and people bitched. He simply could not sell out a large areana and not perform hits. He had his time of doing off kilter stuff and not performing hits and then he went back.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/09/18 7:12am

databank

avatar

laurarichardson said:

databank said:

I really think she has it spot on with P wouldn't be into the tribute thing and it's more respectful to move on and compose their own stuff. To some extent Prince often acted as a self-tribute band, like many other acts before him, and I already was bored with that as a fan: I didn't want Purple Rain or Kiss, I wanted the latest music played on stage! My favorite post-96 tours were the ONA and LOL tours. With all the respect I have for many other artists I've seen live, I was somewhat bored with the live shows I attended because it was mostly "best of" tours and it sounded so, you know, "automatic", those folks had been playing those songs to death and there wasn't anything new for them in it. I saw Miles a few months before he passed in 91 and I'm so much into his Marcus Miller period but regardless, he wasn't playing the classic stuff from his hard bop or electric periods and I super respect that. Same with George and the P-Funk crew, even though they keep revisiting the classic they also keep messing-up with it and adding a lot of live improvisation to it so it still, somehow, sounds fresh.

.

So yeah, while I respect artists doing whatever they please, I wouldn't be much interested in listening to The Revolution play Prince's 1983-86 music for the next 20 years. For one thing I'd really love it if they'd play songs from their own solo records, but I'd like it even more if they'd record new music and the shows were a mix of new stuff and a few classics from both their solo projects and their time with P nod

Prince did plenty of tours were he did not even play PR and people bitched. He simply could not sell out a large areana and not perform hits. He had his time of doing off kilter stuff and not performing hits and then he went back.

I've hardly ever bitched about Prince, and the very few times I did I regretted it instantly, I owed too much to that man and had too much respect for him to do any such thing. Regardless, I hardly ever listen to boots from most of his post-96 shows because I don't care for an Nth rendition of the hits when I already had the original tours and loved every new album up until he passed and so much would have loved to hear those albums played live.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/09/18 7:13am

databank

avatar

^ And I totally understand and respect the fact that he needed to play the hits in order to fill arenas and maintain his financial independence. I just wasn't too much interested in the resulting shows.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/09/18 8:37am

JoeyCococo

lastdecember said:

Saw the Revolution here at BB KINGS in NYC last April and i was floored, I mean I knew it would be an emotional night, but it blew my mind how tight this band is playing and organized and never missed a beat. This article is such a good interview and take on the situation, they should do what they feel natural, death often brings us together, so if it leads to new work then go for it, dont question it, people are gonna say "oh they are doing it for money etc" whatever you cant live for what people will think live for yourself. The parts of this interview pointing out that she wished reached out to Prince seeing how he did not look himself at all, and I think people here on the ORG were trying to ignore this too after his death, but you can just look at him in photos and see he was not well, and that Piano and Microphone was really like his going back to how it began but I am not sure it was for reasons we think, I think it was more because he knew this was over.

This Revolution tour has always felt to me like something Prince would never care to do or support, even as he has passed. The Revoution members are too talented to just go on doing his songs w/o him. I hope they do some new music....perhaps even use some old unreleased music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/09/18 9:25am

cbarnes3121

wendy and lisa every talented and have a great career with being that they dont have 2 continue this revolution because without prince its boring and just not my flavor but when i see wendy and lisa im more in2 it if that makes sense?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/09/18 10:08am

laurarichardso
n

databank said:

laurarichardson said:

Prince did plenty of tours were he did not even play PR and people bitched. He simply could not sell out a large areana and not perform hits. He had his time of doing off kilter stuff and not performing hits and then he went back.

I've hardly ever bitched about Prince, and the very few times I did I regretted it instantly, I owed too much to that man and had too much respect for him to do any such thing. Regardless, I hardly ever listen to boots from most of his post-96 shows because I don't care for an Nth rendition of the hits when I already had the original tours and loved every new album up until he passed and so much would have loved to hear those albums played live.

I guess you missed the ONA tour/ Rainbow children tours?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/09/18 10:50am

lastdecember

avatar

JoeyCococo said:

lastdecember said:

Saw the Revolution here at BB KINGS in NYC last April and i was floored, I mean I knew it would be an emotional night, but it blew my mind how tight this band is playing and organized and never missed a beat. This article is such a good interview and take on the situation, they should do what they feel natural, death often brings us together, so if it leads to new work then go for it, dont question it, people are gonna say "oh they are doing it for money etc" whatever you cant live for what people will think live for yourself. The parts of this interview pointing out that she wished reached out to Prince seeing how he did not look himself at all, and I think people here on the ORG were trying to ignore this too after his death, but you can just look at him in photos and see he was not well, and that Piano and Microphone was really like his going back to how it began but I am not sure it was for reasons we think, I think it was more because he knew this was over.

This Revolution tour has always felt to me like something Prince would never care to do or support, even as he has passed. The Revoution members are too talented to just go on doing his songs w/o him. I hope they do some new music....perhaps even use some old unreleased music.

Just so everyone is on the same page here.....NOTHING that has happened since would PRINCE be down for, OK regardless of who it is, whether it is JLO doing a raunchy tribute or Timberlake doing a flag at the SB, or whether it is Shelia doing it on BET or NPG or REVOLUTION not one of those things would have been down with.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/09/18 10:52am

laurarichardso
n

lastdecember said:

JoeyCococo said:

This Revolution tour has always felt to me like something Prince would never care to do or support, even as he has passed. The Revoution members are too talented to just go on doing his songs w/o him. I hope they do some new music....perhaps even use some old unreleased music.

Just so everyone is on the same page here.....NOTHING that has happened since would PRINCE be down for, OK regardless of who it is, whether it is JLO doing a raunchy tribute or Timberlake doing a flag at the SB, or whether it is Shelia doing it on BET or NPG or REVOLUTION not one of those things would have been down with.

He was not about living in the past. Even his Greatest hit shows had some new material in them or some obsurce song.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/09/18 11:19am

databank

avatar

laurarichardson said:

databank said:

I've hardly ever bitched about Prince, and the very few times I did I regretted it instantly, I owed too much to that man and had too much respect for him to do any such thing. Regardless, I hardly ever listen to boots from most of his post-96 shows because I don't care for an Nth rendition of the hits when I already had the original tours and loved every new album up until he passed and so much would have loved to hear those albums played live.

I guess you missed the ONA tour/ Rainbow children tours?

Yes, I have no idea what u're talking about.

How, wait, did I just write earlier "My favorite post-96 tours were the ONA and LOL tours."?

Naw... I must have been hallucinating.

rolleyes

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/09/18 11:54am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

lastdecember said:

JoeyCococo said:

This Revolution tour has always felt to me like something Prince would never care to do or support, even as he has passed. The Revoution members are too talented to just go on doing his songs w/o him. I hope they do some new music....perhaps even use some old unreleased music.

Just so everyone is on the same page here.....NOTHING that has happened since would PRINCE be down for, OK regardless of who it is, whether it is JLO doing a raunchy tribute or Timberlake doing a flag at the SB, or whether it is Shelia doing it on BET or NPG or REVOLUTION not one of those things would have been down with.

But Prince is dead...

And he was down for the Revolution doing shows after Bobby Z's heartattack. the First show was @ First Avenue 2012 and every year after various bandmember gathered. I believe the year before Prince died had Bobby Z Andre Cymone Dr Fink Dez Dickerson (and Apollonia)

.

Prince did people's music, even did a song or two by MJ in tribute to his death/life

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/09/18 12:00pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I was talking to a friend across the country last weekend. Big Prince fan, he was a little drunk and we were talking about this journey down the purple brick road and missing Prince etc it got a bit sad he even broke down a bit

.

Reading this with that still following me, and I just made a 1983-1985 rehearsals/soundcheck disc of songs for two people who are fans, has me in a meloncholy state.
.
The Time Sheila E the Family the Revolution (PRINCE) are/were my generation, my purple people. I love em all. I hope they live long lives and continue to render the music that is purple while doing other things. I only care to hear it done from them. They people who were there whether it be in camp in studio(s) on stage(s) etc

.

I miss Prince

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/09/18 12:04pm

ThatWhiteDude

OldFriends4Sale said:

I was talking to a friend across the country last weekend. Big Prince fan, he was a little drunk and we were talking about this journey down the purple brick road and missing Prince etc it got a bit sad he even broke down a bit

.

Reading this with that still following me, and I just made a 1983-1985 rehearsals/soundcheck disc of songs for two people who are fans, has me in a meloncholy state.
.
The Time Sheila E the Family the Revolution (PRINCE) are/were my generation, my purple people. I love em all. I hope they live long lives and continue to render the music that is purple while doing other things. I only care to hear it done from them. They people who were there whether it be in camp in studio(s) on stage(s) etc

.

I miss Prince

Yeah, it's two years without him next month but it still feels so unreal. I'll probably never really get over it.

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/09/18 12:16pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

ThatWhiteDude said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I was talking to a friend across the country last weekend. Big Prince fan, he was a little drunk and we were talking about this journey down the purple brick road and missing Prince etc it got a bit sad he even broke down a bit

.

Reading this with that still following me, and I just made a 1983-1985 rehearsals/soundcheck disc of songs for two people who are fans, has me in a meloncholy state.
.
The Time Sheila E the Family the Revolution (PRINCE) are/were my generation, my purple people. I love em all. I hope they live long lives and continue to render the music that is purple while doing other things. I only care to hear it done from them. They people who were there whether it be in camp in studio(s) on stage(s) etc

.

I miss Prince

Yeah, it's two years without him next month but it still feels so unreal. I'll probably never really get over it.

No, I wonder if people who were alive long for the journey are affected differently.(probably so) The passing of Prince touches on other parts of our lives. With Prince's passing I was also heavily affected by Vanity(Denise Matthews) passing. Bobby Z heart attack and Jill Jones health scare(same month Prince was rushed to the hospital for flu issues) I don't want to hear of any others passing any time soon. So I want them to do the music and continue to do more music.

I've been listening to a lot of Prince's earlier stuff/demos and studio (solo/band) rehearsals etc ... that intimate stuff. Has me really open.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/09/18 9:26pm

toots

avatar

laurarichardson said:



purplerabbithole said:


http://www.mcall.com/ente...story.html Insightful lady. [Edited 3/8/18 10:35am]

I would like to see them do new music and Prince was right about not going backward.


When he played PR at his shows AFTER the Rev disbanded...wasnt THAT "going backward" per say? Or how about when he played it at the Super Bowl is that STILL going backward rather then "forward"? J/S hmmm
Smurf theme song-seriously how many fucking "La Las" can u fit into a dam song wall
Proud Wendy and Lisa Fancy Lesbian asskisser thumbs up!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/10/18 8:07am

purplerabbitho
le

Its obviously a complicated thing to have your commercial peak be in 83-84 with a specific band. Imagine wanting to move foward and keep progressing (his constant recording of new albums with various collaboraters older and newer) proves this was a goal of his)and having an audience that expects the hits to be played. Reuniting with the revolution is like saying "yes, I need to relive my glory days to reel an audience in-- not just one or two songs[or even half the setlist] but an entire tour of older songs with the original collaboraters". If they had found a way to record and release a new album together first, maybe he would be more inclined to tour.. Obviously, he still recorded with them occassionally and liked them and their work. Maybe he anticipated also that Rev members would artistically conflict with him at timesif they toured (especailly at their now older and more experienced ages) And he didnt want to have them quit on him again...the old abandonment/control issues mixed in with a fear of looking too desperate, I imagine it could be complicated for them as well. I don't imagine they want to be defined by their time with Prince anymore than he would want to be defined by his time with them. The difference being that Prince could still sell out stadiums without them as long as he plays a few older hits (sometimes even changing their arrangements--ever notice that kiss never sounded like the recording when he did it live-- or jamming old hits into a quick medley). Ironicaly, when Lisa described the P and M tour (a tour that was not just old songs but had a nostalgic tone to it) she said she thought it felt like he was giving up. One could argue that a Revolution reunion would be giving up as well. I guess it depends on what one means by "giving up". Prince was obviusly a conflicted, prideful, and insecure man and his career path was strewn with too many decisions and too many options. Finding a way to move forward and still honor your past while moving forward is coplicated.

toots said:

laurarichardson said:

I would like to see them do new music and Prince was right about not going backward.

When he played PR at his shows AFTER the Rev disbanded...wasnt THAT "going backward" per say? Or how about when he played it at the Super Bowl is that STILL going backward rather then "forward"? J/S hmmm

[Edited 3/10/18 8:43am]

[Edited 3/10/18 8:48am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/11/18 3:46pm

paulludvig

Really nice interview!
The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/12/18 4:25am

rlittler81

avatar

Poor Lisa. I feel her pain. sad

U Got 2 Live 4 Love
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/12/18 11:42am

laurarichardso
n

toots said:

laurarichardson said:

I would like to see them do new music and Prince was right about not going backward.

When he played PR at his shows AFTER the Rev disbanded...wasnt THAT "going backward" per say? Or how about when he played it at the Super Bowl is that STILL going backward rather then "forward"? J/S hmmm

He wrote the damm song. He was not up on stage in full PR gear doing the entire 80's set list.

Prince always had new and sometimes obsurce songs in his show. It was not an oldies act.

I think Lisa would know if Prince was interested in reforming the group to do old music or not.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/12/18 11:45am

laurarichardso
n

databank said:

laurarichardson said:

I guess you missed the ONA tour/ Rainbow children tours?

Yes, I have no idea what u're talking about.

How, wait, did I just write earlier "My favorite post-96 tours were the ONA and LOL tours."?

Naw... I must have been hallucinating.

rolleyes

Then why could here in the first place.

"To some extent Prince often acted as a self-tribute band, like many other acts before him, and I already was bored with that as a fan: I didn't want Purple Rain or Kiss, I wanted the latest music played on stage!"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/13/18 12:16am

ChanGirl

People have it wrong if they think that The Rev is trying to capitalize. All they did was play the music that they and Prince created, sang their parts, and we sang the rest. Stokely came out for about 4-5 songs but never attempted to sound like Prince, he just led us. All that was missing was my Boo.

The most important thing to me was my son seeing history - the band that Prince created, the band that launched him into the stratosphere.

You know Prince wasn't no damn drug addict !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/13/18 5:30am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

OK O K OKAY This is another thread that will not digress into bitching and attacking. Create a thread on the the best Prince tours, or whatever, but there is no reason to further hate toward each other about a interview that is reflective, coming up to the 2nd Anniversary of Princes' passing.

A nice piece from one of the veteran purple hippies

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Lisa’s valid points about moving forward