independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 24th Jun 2018 7:18pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Is the Estate ashamed of "Times Squared", "Carmen Electra" and "Child Of The Sun" (or just clueless)?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 06/12/18 9:53am

databank

avatar

IstenSzek said:

databank said:

eek eek eek


lol !! yeah i was laughing too, until i read that one eek


seriously though, there are a few great songs on Child Of The Sun and as for Carmen's
album, well, it's got some nice music at least lol



Yeah LittlemissG kind of spoiled my mood, too. I'm gonna go kill myself now if you don't mind.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 06/12/18 1:36pm

IstenSzek

avatar

databank said:

IstenSzek said:


lol !! yeah i was laughing too, until i read that one eek


seriously though, there are a few great songs on Child Of The Sun and as for Carmen's
album, well, it's got some nice music at least lol



Yeah LittlemissG kind of spoiled my mood, too. I'm gonna go kill myself now if you don't mind.


that seems just a tiny bit of an overreaction lol


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 06/12/18 1:54pm

KoolEaze

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

I don't know about the estate but I'm ashamed to say that I have Carmen Electra and Child of The Sun.

I think Child of the Sun has some really good songs on it.

Sure, Mayte´s voice is not very pleasant but most songs have Prince on backing vocals and it´s good to have those songs in good quality (Ain´t No Place Like U, However Much U Want, In Your Gracious Name, If I Love U 2Nite). That´s at least four good songs on one album.

Pretty good ratio.

Carmen Electra.....nah, not my cup of tea. lol

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 06/12/18 6:53pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

I have no idea but what I do know is...if I wouldn't give my money to Prince for it, the Estate shouldn't dare ask. shrug

"Something...do not compute." disbelief

Shall no quarter be given and nan-other red cent spent...unless and until...RIGHT is done by Prince! hammer
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 06/12/18 10:53pm

Transformed1

I like Mayte's Child of the Sun. It pretty close to being a Prince album to me.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 06/13/18 1:23am

databank

avatar

Transformed1 said:

I like Mayte's Child of the Sun. It pretty close to being a Prince album to me.

It is a Prince album.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 06/13/18 2:11am

darkroman

I like the Carmen Electra album. I find side projects musically compliment the Prince albums of the time.

Even though I have the Carmen Electra CD, I actually got it for free from Warner Brothers, but I would have bought it.

I also like Child of the Sun and I did actually buy that one and all of the CD singles. I don't like some of the over heavy production but that was very much indicative of what Prince was doing at the time. I feel this album would be better if it was produced differently because the actual songs are good.


lol lol lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 06/13/18 2:43am

databank

avatar

darkroman said:

I like the Carmen Electra album. I find side projects musically compliment the Prince albums of the time.

I also like Child of the Sun (...) that was very much indicative of what Prince was doing at the time.

I agree.

.

Thematically, Carmen Electra is Prince's answer to prince from a feminine perspective. Both are oversexualized ego trips told from the perspective of a near "superhuman". Musically, it's also the missing link between the hip-hop oriented funk of prince and the funk oriented hip-hop of Gold Nigga.

.

Similarly, Child Of The Sun is thematically a continuation of 1-800 New Funk, Exodus and TGE (the lyrics from The Exodus Has Begun mention the concepts of "love sign", "days of wild", children of the sun" and "new power soul" as being part of a single manifesto), while musically it clearly announces a transition from the "rough" (but often new jack swing influenced) sound of the Come/TGE era towards the softer, so-called "plastic" sound of Emancipation.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 06/13/18 2:56am

dodger

databank said:

darkroman said:

I like the Carmen Electra album. I find side projects musically compliment the Prince albums of the time.

I also like Child of the Sun (...) that was very much indicative of what Prince was doing at the time.

I agree.

.

Thematically, Carmen Electra is Prince's answer to prince from a feminine perspective. Both are oversexualized ego trips told from the perspective of a near "superhuman". Musically, it's also the missing link between the hip-hop oriented funk of prince and the funk oriented hip-hop of Gold Nigga.

.

Similarly, Child Of The Sun is thematically a continuation of 1-800 New Funk, Exodus and TGE (the lyrics from The Exodus Has Begun mention the concepts of "love sign", "days of wild", children of the sun" and "new power soul" as being part of a single manifesto), while musically it clearly announces a transition from the "rough" (but often new jack swing influenced) sound of the Come/TGE era towards the softer, so-called "plastic" sound of Emancipation.

Also agree.

I like the tracks on the Carmen album with that live NPG sound from Gold Nigga (which I've always loved).

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 06/13/18 4:59am

milesb

databank said:

billymeade said:

For some reason I have two Carmen Electras. Yay.

I also purchased it twice (once on cassettes then once on CD), but all I have left is my diggital rip of the later. I have earlier configurations, though, so that makes it 3 I guess lol

Hey, after all "Carmen Electra is the future, she is inevitable".

I have the Go Go Dancer CD single:

https://www.discogs.com/C...se/1001085

I actually like the Carmen Electra album. Well the music anyway. Maybe not the "singing".

My password is what
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 06/13/18 5:52am

LonelyStarfish

Rosie's album is also missing.
Music is music, ultimately. If it makes you feel good, cool.

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c...pp=desktop
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 06/13/18 6:02am

Marrk

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

I don't know about the estate but I'm ashamed to say that I have Carmen Electra and Child of The Sun.

So do I, and what's worse is I have the TC Ellis album too. Oh dear.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 06/13/18 6:07am

Marrk

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

SilverNight said:

Oh my God, some people actually bought the Carmen Electra album? Hahahahaha!


If Prince is on it, I bought it. Besides, some of the music is pretty good... Her band was tight! biggrin
Just sayin'... wink

'tis true! It's pretty much an NPG album just with an unimpressive lead vocalist.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 06/13/18 6:59am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Marrk said:

EmmaMcG said:

I don't know about the estate but I'm ashamed to say that I have Carmen Electra and Child of The Sun.

So do I, and what's worse is I have the TC Ellis album too. Oh dear.


Me too, both albums.... PLUS the singles!! lol

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 06/13/18 7:22am

RJOrion

dodger said:

databank said:

I agree.

.

Thematically, Carmen Electra is Prince's answer to prince from a feminine perspective. Both are oversexualized ego trips told from the perspective of a near "superhuman". Musically, it's also the missing link between the hip-hop oriented funk of prince and the funk oriented hip-hop of Gold Nigga.

.

Similarly, Child Of The Sun is thematically a continuation of 1-800 New Funk, Exodus and TGE (the lyrics from The Exodus Has Begun mention the concepts of "love sign", "days of wild", children of the sun" and "new power soul" as being part of a single manifesto), while musically it clearly announces a transition from the "rough" (but often new jack swing influenced) sound of the Come/TGE era towards the softer, so-called "plastic" sound of Emancipation.

Also agree.

I like the tracks on the Carmen album with that live NPG sound from Gold Nigga (which I've always loved).

to be honest, there is some good music sprinkled throughout Carmen Electra's album, but her vocals are so over the top wack & corny, that it defiles the intsrumentation...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 06/13/18 7:53am

Rev

avatar

This is why we need a streaming service. WB or the estate will make no money on reissuing side projects.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 06/13/18 7:54am

savagedreams

the estate website lists other things like that as "Major Albums produced by Prince"

.

i would not call any of those three major. although i do love Aint No Place Like U & Brickhouse from Mayte's album.

.

but in reality, they were going through a fairly massive catalogue, could be very easy to just have missed a few not so important albums.

[Edited 6/13/18 7:56am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 06/13/18 8:56am

paisleypark4

avatar

I liked Mayte's album (Especially the rocking Ain't No Place Like U and the fun However Much U Want).

Somebody stole one of my CD books out my car and now that album is going for $60.00 and up smh.
Times Squared is a great album as well. It probably has something to do with contracts.

[Edited 6/13/18 8:57am]

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 06/13/18 9:39am

databank

avatar

LonelyStarfish said:

Rosie's album is also missing.

It shouldn't be there.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 06/13/18 9:41am

databank

avatar

savagedreams said:

the estate website lists other things like that as "Major Albums produced by Prince"


.


i would not call any of those three major. although i do love Aint No Place Like U & Brickhouse from Mayte's album.


.


but in reality, they were going through a fairly massive catalogue, could be very easy to just have missed a few not so important albums.

[Edited 6/13/18 7:56am]


Major as in quantity not quality.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 06/13/18 9:42am

databank

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

I liked Mayte's album (Especially the rocking Ain't No Place Like U and the fun However Much U Want).

Somebody stole one of my CD books out my car and now that album is going for $60.00 and up smh.
Times Squared is a great album as well. It probably has something to do with contracts.

[Edited 6/13/18 8:57am]


Contracts can't get in the way of a discography.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 06/13/18 11:45am

NorthC

savagedreams said:

the estate website lists other things like that as "Major Albums produced by Prince"


.


i would not call any of those three major. although i do love Aint No Place Like U & Brickhouse from Mayte's album.


.


but in reality, they were going through a fairly massive catalogue, could be very easy to just have missed a few not so important albums.

[Edited 6/13/18 7:56am]


Aw, come on, if you're going to make a discography for an official website, do your research!!!!
I may disagree with everything you say, but I will defend your right to say it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 06/13/18 1:22pm

IstenSzek

avatar

i put on the carmen album in the car today. last few months i've been going through
the protege albums again in my car (in non chronological order).

the music is so nice cool although a few of these tracks are built up out of several old
tracks and that's kind of distracting for me.

but i'm enjoying it. i'll keep it on in the car for the rest of the week music


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 06/13/18 6:22pm

Doozer

avatar

djThunderfunk said:



Marrk said:




EmmaMcG said:


I don't know about the estate but I'm ashamed to say that I have Carmen Electra and Child of The Sun.


So do I, and what's worse is I have the TC Ellis album too. Oh dear.




Me too, both albums.... PLUS the singles!! lol



I have the 12” vinyl of Miss Thang.

Is there a really sad trophy for that?
Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 06/14/18 12:56am

dodger

IstenSzek said:

i put on the carmen album in the car today. last few months i've been going through
the protege albums again in my car (in non chronological order).

the music is so nice cool although a few of these tracks are built up out of several old
tracks and that's kind of distracting for me.

but i'm enjoying it. i'll keep it on in the car for the rest of the week music


After this thread I also played it in the car on my way home from work last night.

.

I feel I should apologise to my fellow earthlings in Liverpool city centre who may have heard This Is My House. It was a hot day, I had no choice but to have the windows down.

.

Enjoyed Just A Little Lovin' just for taking me back to the Sexy M.F video

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 06/14/18 7:56am

scratchtasia

Doozer said:

djThunderfunk said:


Me too, both albums.... PLUS the singles!! lol

I have the 12” vinyl of Miss Thang. Is there a really sad trophy for that?



I kind of dig the instrumental mix of "Miss Thang."

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 06/14/18 10:13am

IstenSzek

avatar

dodger said:

IstenSzek said:

i put on the carmen album in the car today. last few months i've been going through
the protege albums again in my car (in non chronological order).

the music is so nice cool although a few of these tracks are built up out of several old
tracks and that's kind of distracting for me.

but i'm enjoying it. i'll keep it on in the car for the rest of the week music


After this thread I also played it in the car on my way home from work last night.

.

I feel I should apologise to my fellow earthlings in Liverpool city centre who may have heard This Is My House. It was a hot day, I had no choice but to have the windows down.

.

Enjoyed Just A Little Lovin' just for taking me back to the Sexy M.F video


cop do you know why i pulled you over, sir? cop


lol


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 06/16/18 4:16pm

Marrk

avatar

Doozer said:

djThunderfunk said:


Me too, both albums.... PLUS the singles!! lol

I have the 12” vinyl of Miss Thang. Is there a really sad trophy for that?

"Miss Thang she do it and i don't want to stop, i get so far into her thing it make me hot"

Can i go back and say dope lyrics? lol

I only bought this off the back of Graffiti Bridge and the fact it had a cover of Bambi on it. It's only an album but it might really be in my top 100 things i regret in my life.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 06/16/18 4:33pm

databank

avatar

Marrk said:

Doozer said:

djThunderfunk said: I have the 12” vinyl of Miss Thang. Is there a really sad trophy for that?

"Miss Thang she do it and i don't want to stop, i get so far into her thing it make me hot"

Can i go back and say dope lyrics? lol

I only bought this off the back of Graffiti Bridge and the fact it had a cover of Bambi on it. It's only an album but it might really be in my top 100 things i regret in my life.

Thanks to WB's "pay or play" multi-album deal, TC made about a million bucks, and his whole career after that out of this deal, much more than any of those people bitching at his record will ever make in their whole life. So who's laughing now? lol lol lol

Source: http://beautifulnightschi...lks-2.html

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 06/16/18 5:04pm

ladygirl99

Rev said:

This is why we need a streaming service. WB or the estate will make no money on reissuing side projects.

I think that would be convenient of having all of Prince's released and unreleased videos and songs on one streaming site.

Called Purplestream or something like that and charge people low monthly fees. biggrin And have like a social media section too where people can chat and discuss the site. This would be a good chance and accessibility to the new fans too. With all these contracts and separate licensing deals, I don't know if that would ever happen.

I know that some people have issues with Carmen's singing but I listened to Mayte's vocals before as she was featured and she doesn't sound that bad.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Is the Estate ashamed of "Times Squared", "Carmen Electra" and "Child Of The Sun" (or just clueless)?