independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 22nd Jul 2018 7:39am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > All the Details : Prince Estate, Sony Ink Distribution Deal for 35 Previously Released Albums & more
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 11 123456789>Last »

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/27/18 6:41am

love2thenines2
003

All the Details : Prince Estate, Sony Ink Distribution Deal for 35 Previously Released Albums & more



Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums



The titles from 1978-2015 will be re-released via the Legacy Recordings imprint.

Prince's estate and Sony Music Entertainment announced on Wednesday (June 27) they have signed an exclusive distribution agreement that covers 35 of the iconic musician's previously released albums.

Under the new arrangement, the Prince catalog included in the deal will be distributed by Legacy Recordings. Worldwide rights begin immediately for Prince's album releases from 1995-2010, with the others following in years to come.

Among the titles included in the first phase are The Gold Experience (1995), Emancipation (1996), Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (1999), The Rainbow Children (2001) and 3121 (2006), as well as Musicology (2004) and Planet Earth (2007), which were originally release via Sony through Columbia.

See the links below for all the info :




https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prince-estate-sony-ink-distribution-deal-for-35-previously-released-albums-w522089

&

http://www.musicweek.com/...gue/072976

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/27/18 6:45am

AhPook

avatar

That's great!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/27/18 6:55am

Militant

avatar

moderator

Putting this on the front page and stickying.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/27/18 6:55am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Militant said:

Putting this on the front page and stickying.

thumbs up!

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/27/18 6:57am

rogifan

Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/27/18 7:01am

Militant

avatar

moderator

This is really interesting! So Sony is also getting WB stuff, but not Purple Rain or Graffiti Bridge.




Starting in 2021, Sony/Legacy's distribution rights will be expanded to include 12 Prince non-soundtrack catalog albums, featuring iconic music recorded by the artist from the 1978-1996 era for distribution in the United States. Music from this period covered under the agreement includes the highly renowned albums Prince (1979), Dirty Mind (1980), Controversy (1981), 1999 (1982), Around The World In A Day (1985), Sign 'O' The Times (1987), Lovesexy (1988), Diamonds and Pearls (1991) and [Love Symbol] (1992) as well as hit singles "1999," "Little Red Corvette," "I Wanna Be Your Lover," "Raspberry Beret" and much more.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/27/18 7:09am

2020

avatar

This sounds great but am hesitant to get to excited....it is Sony after all
The greatest live performer of our times was is and always will be Prince.

Remember there is only one destination and that place is U
All of it. Everything. Is U.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/27/18 7:15am

love2thenines2
003

2020 said:

This sounds great but am hesitant to get to excited....it is Sony after all

Got an eyes on Reissues from Legacy Label (Sony) 4 other Artists....sorry but i'm not excited at all at all for what i saw !!!

[Edited 6/27/18 7:15am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/27/18 7:19am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Hopefully this means we will start getting true Vault releases, and not garbage like Piano And Microphone 83.
"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/27/18 7:33am

ChocolateBox31
21

I wonder how much this deal is for? Hopefully WAY over $30 Million.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/27/18 7:34am

embmmusic

I really hope this includes vinyl releases of those albums

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/27/18 7:35am

jjam

So we'll be waiting a few years for 1999 Deluxe then.

Not really getting the negativity for Sony archive reissues. There have been some great ones and the Legacy issues are usually remastered by the Senior Mastering Engineer at Sony, Vic Anesini. Can't say I've heard anything remotely brickwalled that he's done - check out his Sly & The Family Stone remastering that he's done. He oversaw the best sounding CD reissue of There's A Riot that I've heard - and that's no audiophile album by any stretch of the imagination.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/27/18 7:40am

Musze

avatar

Really hope their Dotted their I's and crossed their T's on this one!

I Love U, But I Don't Trust U Anymore...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/27/18 7:41am

Kares

jjam said:

So we'll be waiting a few years for 1999 Deluxe then.

Not really getting the negativity for Sony archive reissues. There have been some great ones and the Legacy issues are usually remastered by the Senior Mastering Engineer at Sony, Vic Anesini. Can't say I've heard anything remotely brickwalled that he's done - check out his Sly & The Family Stone remastering that he's done. He oversaw the best sounding CD reissue of There's A Riot that I've heard - and that's no audiophile album by any stretch of the imagination.

.
Sony Legacy has done an amazing job with many great catalogs, including Miles Davis's and Herbie Hancock's, for example. Also, Sony is doing a similarly excellent job with the Bob Dylan catalog under the Columbia label. So the general negativity is childish and ignorant.
.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/27/18 7:50am

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

jjam said:

So we'll be waiting a few years for 1999 Deluxe then.



Not really getting the negativity for Sony archive reissues. There have been some great ones and the Legacy issues are usually remastered by the Senior Mastering Engineer at Sony, Vic Anesini. Can't say I've heard anything remotely brickwalled that he's done - check out his Sly & The Family Stone remastering that he's done. He oversaw the best sounding CD reissue of There's A Riot that I've heard - and that's no audiophile album by any stretch of the imagination.





We won’t have to necessarily wait. WB will still have the rights until 2021 so it’s possible they could do it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/27/18 7:50am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

So by my count, the 12 WB releases under Sony are:

4U, Prince, DM, Controversy, 1999, ATWIAD, SOTT, Lovesexy, D&P, Symbol, Come and Chaos.

PR, Parade, Batman and Graffiti are excluded as WB licenced soundtracks.

Black & OF4S must have been in the closing deal and fallen to NPG (guessing)
.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/27/18 7:53am

jjam

So I guess The Gold Experience will be first up. What isn't mentioned in the article is whether we'll see unreleased stuff on these reissues. The Gold Experience certainly serves to be an expanded release.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/27/18 7:53am

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

Militant said:

This is really interesting! So Sony is also getting WB stuff, but not Purple Rain or Graffiti Bridge.








Starting in 2021, Sony/Legacy's distribution rights will be expanded to include 12 Prince non-soundtrack catalog albums, featuring iconic music recorded by the artist from the 1978-1996 era for distribution in the United States. Music from this period covered under the agreement includes the highly renowned albums Prince (1979), Dirty Mind (1980), Controversy (1981), 1999 (1982), Around The World In A Day (1985), Sign 'O' The Times (1987), Lovesexy (1988), Diamonds and Pearls (1991) and [Love Symbol] (1992) as well as hit singles "1999," "Little Red Corvette," "I Wanna Be Your Lover," "Raspberry Beret" and much more.




Or Parade. But that was pretty much already speculated from the info we got about the WB deal, that eventually all rights would revert back to a Prince except for the soundtrack stuff.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/27/18 7:57am

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

So by my count, the 12 WB releases under Sony are:

4U, Prince, DM, Controversy, 1999, ATWIAD, SOTT, Lovesexy, D&P, Symbol, Come and Chaos.

PR, Parade, Batman and Graffiti are excluded as WB licenced soundtracks.

Black & OF4S must have been in the closing deal and fallen to NPG (guessing)


The Black Album was always a one-off contract with WB. I have a feeling we won’t be getting a reissue of that, though I bet Sony is gonna try.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/27/18 7:59am

Kares

embmmusic said:

I really hope this includes vinyl releases of those albums

.
Maybe, but don't forget that many of those albums never came out on vinyl and most of the artwork was horrible enough in CD-size and would look truly awful when blown up to 12" size... I'm pretty sure there aren't any artwork originals in higher resolution for many of the titles, especially for those internet-only releases. So they'd either have to redesign the covers for most of them or just put them out in awful quality – like that Exodus LP where they couldn't even be arsed to source the artwork without that stupid parental advisory sticker, they just blew it up to 12" size with the sticker on it... Absolutely awful...
.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/27/18 8:00am

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

jjam said:

So I guess The Gold Experience will be first up. What isn't mentioned in the article is whether we'll see unreleased stuff on these reissues. The Gold Experience certainly serves to be an expanded release.



My speculation is that the unreleased stuff (at least the WB years) will be released on WB over the next few years, until 2021. Perhaps we won’t see a contract for other unreleased stuff until after that.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/27/18 8:03am

ChocolateBox31
21

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Hopefully this means we will start getting true Vault releases, and not garbage like Piano And Microphone 83.

The deal DOES NOT include Vault recordings.

[Edited 6/27/18 8:03am]

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/27/18 8:12am

Kares

.
I wonder if the NPG albums are included or not. The press release says 1995-2010, so Exodus and New Power Soul should be included, but then what about Goldnigga? That's owned by the estate so why isn't it included? Or did they perhaps leave out Exodus and New Power Soul too? That would make no sense as all three of these are essentially Prince albums. So is Kamasutra, for example.

.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/27/18 8:17am

Kares

ChocolateBox3121 said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Hopefully this means we will start getting true Vault releases, and not garbage like Piano And Microphone 83.

The deal DOES NOT include Vault recordings.

[Edited 6/27/18 8:03am]

.
"As part of the deal, Legacy will also be able to distribute other post-1995 Prince material such as previously released singles, B-sides, remixes, non-album tracks, live recordings and music videos."

.
Even if they are all previously released, I'll be happy to see them reissued and properly marketed.

.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/27/18 8:20am

jjam

Maybe Sony can get rid of the awful album version of The Most Beautiful Girl In The World and replace it with the EP version. I don't quite know what Prince was thinking including that mix on the album.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/27/18 8:24am

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

Kares said:

.
I wonder if the NPG albums are included or not. The press release says 1995-2010, so Exodus and New Power Soul should be included, but then what about Goldnigga? That's owned by the estate so why isn't it included? Or did they perhaps leave out Exodus and New Power Soul too? That would make no sense as all three of these are essentially Prince albums. So is Kamasutra, for example.

.

Sony may not want that stuff. Yes they are "essential" to Prince diehards but the casual fan? Hell, I'm a huge Prince fan and don't think they're "essential" at all.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/27/18 8:27am

KlyphIsBackAga
in

avatar

jjam said:

Maybe Sony can get rid of the awful album version of The Most Beautiful Girl In The World and replace it with the EP version. I don't quite know what Prince was thinking including that mix on the album.

Maybe they can remaster it too. Talk about brickwalled!!!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/27/18 8:29am

Kares

jjam said:

Maybe Sony can get rid of the awful album version of The Most Beautiful Girl In The World and replace it with the EP version. I don't quite know what Prince was thinking including that mix on the album.

.
The last thing we want is someone fiddling with Prince's mixes and finished albums – just leave them as they are! The fact that Prince has made some questionable artistic decisions (and it was just one of the many natural results of his creative freedom and boldness) does not mean that I'd want someone to try "correcting" those "mistakes". So please don't even try to give the Estate the wrong ideas...
.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/27/18 8:31am

Kares

KlyphIsBackAgain said:

Kares said:

.
I wonder if the NPG albums are included or not. The press release says 1995-2010, so Exodus and New Power Soul should be included, but then what about Goldnigga? That's owned by the estate so why isn't it included? Or did they perhaps leave out Exodus and New Power Soul too? That would make no sense as all three of these are essentially Prince albums. So is Kamasutra, for example.

.

Sony may not want that stuff. Yes they are "essential" to Prince diehards but the casual fan? Hell, I'm a huge Prince fan and don't think they're "essential" at all.

.
Please read before commenting. I said "they are essentially Prince albums", not that they are essential releases in his catalog. Casual fans don't even know about albums such as Xpectation or NEWS...

.

[Edited 6/27/18 8:31am]

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/27/18 8:33am

jdcxc

Kares said:



jjam said:


So we'll be waiting a few years for 1999 Deluxe then.



Not really getting the negativity for Sony archive reissues. There have been some great ones and the Legacy issues are usually remastered by the Senior Mastering Engineer at Sony, Vic Anesini. Can't say I've heard anything remotely brickwalled that he's done - check out his Sly & The Family Stone remastering that he's done. He oversaw the best sounding CD reissue of There's A Riot that I've heard - and that's no audiophile album by any stretch of the imagination.





.
Sony Legacy has done an amazing job with many great catalogs, including Miles Davis's and Herbie Hancock's, for example. Also, Sony is doing a similarly excellent job with the Bob Dylan catalog under the Columbia label. So the general negativity is childish and ignorant.
.



Thanks for the positivity.

It would appear to be a natural fit for Sony to add the Paisley Park label catalog and Prince-produced albums (The Time, Madhouse, Sheila, V6) at a later date.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 11 123456789>Last »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > All the Details : Prince Estate, Sony Ink Distribution Deal for 35 Previously Released Albums & more