independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 22nd Jul 2018 7:46am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Glam Slam Ulysses
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/09/18 4:35pm

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Glam Slam Ulysses

A project that has often piqued my curiosity is Prince's Glam Slam Ulysses in 1993.

I'm particularly interested in how some of those songs are reported to differ dramatically in comparison to the versions that were eventually released on the Come album in '94.

For those who heard or have a recording of the soundtrack, how do the songs differ and which do you prefer? How do you think Glam Slam Ulysses would have been received if released as a soundtrack album in '93? Has a copy ever circulated in good quality?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/09/18 4:52pm

Dandroppedadim
e

I've only heard the audience recording, so hard to tell the overall difference as sound quality isn't great (on what I've got anyway). From what I can remember they sound more raw and unpolished, some basic tracks are the same and some are totally new recordings. I would love to hear these versions released in 'pristine' quality, Glam Slam Ulysses was a visual dance show (very erotic/s&m) so I could imagine a video being released at the time - so would of done ok I suppose, but not a massive hit a such. I suppose Come was the eventual project, which could of been even more dark/erotic/edgy but he toned it down somewhat in the final mix/versions and choice of songs overall.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/09/18 7:14pm

databank

avatar

Some GSU versions circulate in good sound, most are audience recordings. Some songs were overdubbed, some were stripped down, some were rerecorded from scratch and some were released as such. Nothing special there, though I'd love to have a pristine collection. I've always wondered what Come would have been like if WB hadn't had P release a greatest hits package instead of a new record in 1993.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/10/18 1:35am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

databank said:

Some GSU versions circulate in good sound, most are audience recordings. Some songs were overdubbed, some were stripped down, some were rerecorded from scratch and some were released as such. Nothing special there, though I'd love to have a pristine collection. I've always wondered what Come would have been like if WB hadn't had P release a greatest hits package instead of a new record in 1993.


I've always wondered that also. I'm guessing Come would have been a significantly different album in '93. The original cover art I saw circulating some time ago certainly had a different feel.

Is it correct that the Glam Slam Ulysses 'Race' is very different from the released version? The GSU mix of 'Loose' I heard a clip of on Youtube sounded more rock oriented.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/10/18 1:40am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Dandroppedadime said:

I've only heard the audience recording, so hard to tell the overall difference as sound quality isn't great (on what I've got anyway). From what I can remember they sound more raw and unpolished, some basic tracks are the same and some are totally new recordings. I would love to hear these versions released in 'pristine' quality, Glam Slam Ulysses was a visual dance show (very erotic/s&m) so I could imagine a video being released at the time - so would of done ok I suppose, but not a massive hit a such. I suppose Come was the eventual project, which could of been even more dark/erotic/edgy but he toned it down somewhat in the final mix/versions and choice of songs overall.



I'd love these in pristine quality also. Hopefully, at some point, some kind of service for hardcore fans will be established to cater for such projects as I can't imagine this having much casual demand. I however, would happily pay a premium for it.

93-95 is one of my favourite time periods for Prince and any and all unreleased tracks, alternate versions and mixes are highly desired by me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/10/18 4:12am

JorisE73

Only listened to this once back in the 90's on the 'Silver'(?) bootleg in shitty sound.

Out of curiosity I would love to see an official DVD of the show with a complete soundtrack.

From what I can remember Prince was pretty hyped about this thing and he even threatend back then that he would retire from studio recording to focus on more stage stuff like that.

And then it flopped lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/10/18 4:27am

KAB

avatar

http://prince.org/msg/7/317254

This thread should begin to explain some of what went on back then.

Original versions are more raw and more guitar based and quite simply better than released vdersions where applicable.

[Edited 7/10/18 4:28am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/11/18 8:55am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

KAB said:

http://prince.org/msg/7/317254





This thread should begin to explain some of what went on back then.



Original versions are more raw and more guitar based and quite simply better than released vdersions where applicable.

[Edited 7/10/18 4:28am]



The original, rawer version of 'Endorphinemachine' is definitely preferable. I also appreciate the original version of 'Come'.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/11/18 2:40pm

paulludvig

OperatingThetan said:

databank said:

Some GSU versions circulate in good sound, most are audience recordings. Some songs were overdubbed, some were stripped down, some were rerecorded from scratch and some were released as such. Nothing special there, though I'd love to have a pristine collection. I've always wondered what Come would have been like if WB hadn't had P release a greatest hits package instead of a new record in 1993.


I've always wondered that also. I'm guessing Come would have been a significantly different album in '93. The original cover art I saw circulating some time ago certainly had a different feel.

Is it correct that the Glam Slam Ulysses 'Race' is very different from the released version? The GSU mix of 'Loose' I heard a clip of on Youtube sounded more rock oriented.


Original cover art?
The wooh is on the one!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/11/18 3:00pm

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

paulludvig said:

OperatingThetan said:



I've always wondered that also. I'm guessing Come would have been a significantly different album in '93. The original cover art I saw circulating some time ago certainly had a different feel.

Is it correct that the Glam Slam Ulysses 'Race' is very different from the released version? The GSU mix of 'Loose' I heard a clip of on Youtube sounded more rock oriented.


Original cover art?


It's the cartoon cover art with Prince wearing the chain mask, if I recall correctly. Quite colourful and P-funk in style. I tried to find it today and had no luck at all.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/11/18 3:05pm

paulludvig

OperatingThetan said:

paulludvig said:



Original cover art?


It's the cartoon cover art with Prince wearing the chain mask, if I recall correctly. Quite colourful and P-funk in style. I tried to find it today and had no luck at all.


Thanks for the info! Will try to find it.
The wooh is on the one!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/11/18 5:44pm

databank

avatar

paulludvig said:

OperatingThetan said:



It's the cartoon cover art with Prince wearing the chain mask, if I recall correctly. Quite colourful and P-funk in style. I tried to find it today and had no luck at all.


Thanks for the info! Will try to find it.

Wasn't aware of it either. Curious to see it.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/12/18 2:37am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

databank said:

paulludvig said:



Thanks for the info! Will try to find it.

Wasn't aware of it either. Curious to see it.


Most people hated it as far as I recall. It was similar to the MPLS art. Having said that I can't find it anywhere, even using a search here.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/12/18 6:41am

KAB

avatar

OperatingThetan said:

KAB said:

http://prince.org/msg/7/317254

This thread should begin to explain some of what went on back then.

Original versions are more raw and more guitar based and quite simply better than released vdersions where applicable.

[Edited 7/10/18 4:28am]

The original, rawer version of 'Endorphinemachine' is definitely preferable. I also appreciate the original version of 'Come'.

Yeah both versions are far superior. Wish we had the original versions of Race and Loose.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/12/18 6:44am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

KAB said:



OperatingThetan said:


KAB said:

http://prince.org/msg/7/317254





This thread should begin to explain some of what went on back then.



Original versions are more raw and more guitar based and quite simply better than released vdersions where applicable.


[Edited 7/10/18 4:28am]



The original, rawer version of 'Endorphinemachine' is definitely preferable. I also appreciate the original version of 'Come'.



Yeah both versions are far superior. Wish we had the original versions of Race and Loose.



Me too. It's the kind of material we really need a subscriber service for the hardcore to release.

There are several unreleased tracks from 93-94 I'd really like to hear also.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/12/18 7:17am

KAB

avatar

OperatingThetan said:

KAB said:

Yeah both versions are far superior. Wish we had the original versions of Race and Loose.

Me too. It's the kind of material we really need a subscriber service for the hardcore to release. There are several unreleased tracks from 93-94 I'd really like to hear also.

Agreed.

Which ones??

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/12/18 7:51am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

KAB said:



OperatingThetan said:


KAB said:




Yeah both versions are far superior. Wish we had the original versions of Race and Loose.



Me too. It's the kind of material we really need a subscriber service for the hardcore to release. There are several unreleased tracks from 93-94 I'd really like to hear also.



Agreed.



Which ones??



Emotional Crucifixion, Dance of Desperation, Laurianne are some titles I've heard of but anything unreleased from the period would be good.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/12/18 7:56am

paulludvig

OperatingThetan said:

KAB said:



OperatingThetan said:


KAB said:




Yeah both versions are far superior. Wish we had the original versions of Race and Loose.



Me too. It's the kind of material we really need a subscriber service for the hardcore to release. There are several unreleased tracks from 93-94 I'd really like to hear also.



Agreed.



Which ones??



Emotional Crucifixion, Dance of Desperation, Laurianne are some titles I've heard of but anything unreleased from the period would be good.


Interesting titles.
The wooh is on the one!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/12/18 9:37am

ufoclub

avatar

This version of "Race" is superior. Wish a good quality file would emerge.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/12/18 3:35pm

luvsexy4all

theres a decent quality of dolphin from GSU ..which i prefer over gold exp version

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/13/18 5:38am

KAB

avatar

OperatingThetan said:

KAB said:

Agreed.

Which ones??

Emotional Crucifixion, Dance of Desperation, Laurianne are some titles I've heard of but anything unreleased from the period would be good.

Yep, would be good to hear those, plus the GSU versions of all songs still not released!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/13/18 5:39am

KAB

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

theres a decent quality of dolphin from GSU ..which i prefer over gold exp version

Dolphin is very good as released thou.

A studio version???

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/13/18 11:42am

luvsexy4all

KAB said:

luvsexy4all said:

theres a decent quality of dolphin from GSU ..which i prefer over gold exp version

Dolphin is very good as released thou.

A studio version???

yes

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/14/18 1:48am

KAB

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

KAB said:

Dolphin is very good as released thou.

A studio version???

yes

Where is this from???

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Glam Slam Ulysses