independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 15th Nov 2018 3:21am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > With the amazing success of the musical bio-pic BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY....
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 11/06/18 2:45pm

ChocolateBox31
21

I went to a ultra private screening, early last week, and I actually thought the movie was quite entertaining.

I believe if more of Freddy's "escapades" was included it would have easily gotten Rated NC-17. Then it wouldn't have made a number#1 debut at $51 million in the US.

Prince left enough footage in his vast catalog in his vault, to make MANY documentaries about him. That would fill up the next decades. Which is why the talented Ava Duvernay was hand picked by The Estate to handle them.

It's NO NEED of a biopic at this point. I WILL NOT APPROVE OF IT!

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 11/06/18 2:48pm

TrivialPursuit

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

PennyPurple said:

Why didn't Prince do Live Aid?

Yeah same question from me? I’m sure there it’s been stated before. We do know he sent a video of a new song. Was he filming Under the Cherry Moon?

He was certainly in France in 1985. Remember, that even the video for "America", a song from 1985's ATWIAD was filmed over there. I can't see Prince doing that anyway, though it certainly would have been a showstopper later that evening.

To me, one of the highlights was Patti Labelle, into Hall & Oates w/ The Temptation, Tina Turner with Mick Jagger. It was one long, glorious set. I just read the other day how Led Zeppelin has never released rights for any rebroadcast (DVD or otherwise) of their set. Phil Collins was banging around in the first two songs, Jimmy's guitar was not tuned, and Robert's voice was hoarse. They looked like bozos, even by their own admission.

Back to the bio-pic, I don't think this is some sort of trend or popular thing. The Whitney film was lambasted, the Bobby Brown one was minimally okay, Toni Braxton's was slightly better than Whitney's; TLC's was the better of all of them.

I guess I never understood why people are so hell-bent on these sorts of films. Things are always condensed, compiled and aggregated. Even Mike Meyer's character in B.R. is a combination of many people; it wasn't a real person you can trace back.

My friend was Toni Braxton's executive assistant for years, was at award shows, and was even thanked by Toni at the BET or Soul Train awards. She was not in the Toni movie at all, not even close. She was there for everything for years.

So, that said - these movies are never a full timeline or a correct telling of a story (ie: Bobby fucked Janet? pfft). Knowing the 30% of error in these films, and Prince fans still bark about having one for him it just insane. It would be nothing but a shitfest here and in other places picking every little piece apart. "But he didn't blink that way! It's crap!", "Wendy never wore orange, this is bullshit!", "Since when was Dez black?!" I mean, it would be neverending.

So no, the biopic thing is not a new popular thing, nor should there ever be one about Prince. A documentary like Ava's, yes. A B.R. type film, no.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 11/06/18 3:38pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


PennyPurple said:

Why didn't Prince do Live Aid?



Yeah same question from me? I’m sure there it’s been stated before. We do know he sent a video of a new song. Was he filming Under the Cherry Moon?


He was certainly in France in 1985. Remember, that even the video for "America", a song from 1985's ATWIAD was filmed over there. I can't see Prince doing that anyway, though it certainly would have been a showstopper later that evening.

To me, one of the highlights was Patti Labelle, into Hall & Oates w/ The Temptation, Tina Turner with Mick Jagger. It was one long, glorious set. I just read the other day how Led Zeppelin has never released rights for any rebroadcast (DVD or otherwise) of their set. Phil Collins was banging around in the first two songs, Jimmy's guitar was not tuned, and Robert's voice was hoarse. They looked like bozos, even by their own admission.

Back to the bio-pic, I don't think this is some sort of trend or popular thing. The Whitney film was lambasted, the Bobby Brown one was minimally okay, Toni Braxton's was slightly better than Whitney's; TLC's was the better of all of them.

I guess I never understood why people are so hell-bent on these sorts of films. Things are always condensed, compiled and aggregated. Even Mike Meyer's character in B.R. is a combination of many people; it wasn't a real person you can trace back.

My friend was Toni Braxton's executive assistant for years, was at award shows, and was even thanked by Toni at the BET or Soul Train awards. She was not in the Toni movie at all, not even close. She was there for everything for years.

So, that said - these movies are never a full timeline or a correct telling of a story (ie: Bobby fucked Janet? pfft). Knowing the 30% of error in these films, and Prince fans still bark about having one for him it just insane. It would be nothing but a shitfest here and in other places picking every little piece apart. "But he didn't blink that way! It's crap!", "Wendy never wore orange, this is bullshit!", "Since when was Dez black?!" I mean, it would be neverending.

So no, the biopic thing is not a new popular thing, nor should there ever be one about Prince. A documentary like Ava's, yes. A B.R. type film, no.



True.

But major artists kinda demand one.

No one really cares (that much) what Bobby Brown ever wore or how he blinked. Same with Toni and Whitney. Not even anywhere on the same league.

BUT BY GOD! YOU BETTER GET PRINCE RIGHT IF YOU ARE EVEN GONNA TRY lol.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 11/06/18 3:49pm

PennyPurple

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

I went to a ultra private screening, early last week, and I actually thought the movie was quite entertaining.

I believe if more of Freddy's "escapades" was included it would have easily gotten Rated NC-17. Then it wouldn't have made a number#1 debut at $51 million in the US.

Prince left enough footage in his vast catalog in his vault, to make MANY documentaries about him. That would fill up the next decades. Which is why the talented Ava Duvernay was hand picked by The Estate to handle them.

It's NO NEED of a biopic at this point. I WILL NOT APPROVE OF IT!

Like you have any say in the Estate matters. lol hah!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 11/06/18 3:52pm

PennyPurple

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

He was certainly in France in 1985. Remember, that even the video for "America", a song from 1985's ATWIAD was filmed over there. I can't see Prince doing that anyway, though it certainly would have been a showstopper later that evening.

To me, one of the highlights was Patti Labelle, into Hall & Oates w/ The Temptation, Tina Turner with Mick Jagger. It was one long, glorious set. I just read the other day how Led Zeppelin has never released rights for any rebroadcast (DVD or otherwise) of their set. Phil Collins was banging around in the first two songs, Jimmy's guitar was not tuned, and Robert's voice was hoarse. They looked like bozos, even by their own admission.

Back to the bio-pic, I don't think this is some sort of trend or popular thing. The Whitney film was lambasted, the Bobby Brown one was minimally okay, Toni Braxton's was slightly better than Whitney's; TLC's was the better of all of them.

I guess I never understood why people are so hell-bent on these sorts of films. Things are always condensed, compiled and aggregated. Even Mike Meyer's character in B.R. is a combination of many people; it wasn't a real person you can trace back.

My friend was Toni Braxton's executive assistant for years, was at award shows, and was even thanked by Toni at the BET or Soul Train awards. She was not in the Toni movie at all, not even close. She was there for everything for years.

So, that said - these movies are never a full timeline or a correct telling of a story (ie: Bobby fucked Janet? pfft). Knowing the 30% of error in these films, and Prince fans still bark about having one for him it just insane. It would be nothing but a shitfest here and in other places picking every little piece apart. "But he didn't blink that way! It's crap!", "Wendy never wore orange, this is bullshit!", "Since when was Dez black?!" I mean, it would be neverending.

So no, the biopic thing is not a new popular thing, nor should there ever be one about Prince. A documentary like Ava's, yes. A B.R. type film, no.

Yeah a movie like BR for Prince would not do. I do like the idea of a Prince Documentary though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 11/06/18 5:40pm

jennalynn

I really liked Bohemian Rhapsody but I don't think they should do a movie about Prince.

I mean we have a semi-fictional movie where Prince (well technically The Kid) does dramatic things and performs... and we got it in 1984.

~everything is a prince reference~
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 11/06/18 6:11pm

databank

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Why didn't Prince do Live Aid?

Probably for the same reason he didn't do We Are The World.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 11/06/18 6:56pm

peggyon

A Prince movie, though likely distasteful to many of his fans, may engender popular interest and help keep his legacy alive. Some would have to hold their noses, though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 11/06/18 6:58pm

databank

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

PennyPurple said: Yeah same question from me? I’m sure there it’s been stated before. We do know he sent a video of a new song. Was he filming Under the Cherry Moon?

He was certainly in France in 1985. Remember, that even the video for "America", a song from 1985's ATWIAD was filmed over there. I can't see Prince doing that anyway, though it certainly would have been a showstopper later that evening.

To me, one of the highlights was Patti Labelle, into Hall & Oates w/ The Temptation, Tina Turner with Mick Jagger. It was one long, glorious set. I just read the other day how Led Zeppelin has never released rights for any rebroadcast (DVD or otherwise) of their set. Phil Collins was banging around in the first two songs, Jimmy's guitar was not tuned, and Robert's voice was hoarse. They looked like bozos, even by their own admission.

Back to the bio-pic, I don't think this is some sort of trend or popular thing. The Whitney film was lambasted, the Bobby Brown one was minimally okay, Toni Braxton's was slightly better than Whitney's; TLC's was the better of all of them.

I guess I never understood why people are so hell-bent on these sorts of films. Things are always condensed, compiled and aggregated. Even Mike Meyer's character in B.R. is a combination of many people; it wasn't a real person you can trace back.

My friend was Toni Braxton's executive assistant for years, was at award shows, and was even thanked by Toni at the BET or Soul Train awards. She was not in the Toni movie at all, not even close. She was there for everything for years.

So, that said - these movies are never a full timeline or a correct telling of a story (ie: Bobby fucked Janet? pfft). Knowing the 30% of error in these films, and Prince fans still bark about having one for him it just insane. It would be nothing but a shitfest here and in other places picking every little piece apart. "But he didn't blink that way! It's crap!", "Wendy never wore orange, this is bullshit!", "Since when was Dez black?!" I mean, it would be neverending.

So no, the biopic thing is not a new popular thing, nor should there ever be one about Prince. A documentary like Ava's, yes. A B.R. type film, no.

Yet, according to Tyka...

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 11/07/18 9:08am

pricetag

SquirrelMeat said:

pricetag said:

Not sure what was "made up"...there's some streamlining of events, and some composite characters, but that's what it means to be a movie adpation. Otherwise, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY the movie would have a 35-year running time. Nothing was "made-up" in the real sense. Freddie lived a very extreme life. In fact, that would have been the Sasha Baron Cohen version. If anything, this movie was watered-down.


Well, in the movie, the band essentially break up, and Freddie comes back and apologies to them all, leaving them a little over two weeks to prepare for Live Aid (making it Mid/Late June 85); with one of the band explaining that they are rusty as they haven't played together for two years.

The reality was Queen only finished 'The Works' world tour Mid May 1985.

Don't see what they gained from inventing a two year gap.

I get it but does it really matter? There's a confusion here between 'narrative film' and 'documentary film'. On the main point, this "narrative film" accurately represents the fact that Queen played LIVE AID. That's all that matters.

It's silly to nit-pick in this context.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 11/07/18 9:09am

pricetag

databank said:

SquirrelMeat said:


Well, in the movie, the band essentially break up, and Freddie comes back and apologies to them all, leaving them a little over two weeks to prepare for Live Aid (making it Mid/Late June 85); with one of the band explaining that they are rusty as they haven't played together for two years.

The reality was Queen only finished 'The Works' world tour Mid May 1985.

Don't see what they gained from inventing a two year gap.

Don't see the point in those bullshit stars biopics at all anyway.

If nothing else, they show that the most fascinating real lives are boring to death by comparison to fiction.

Those Hollywood hacks would be better off creating fiction stories about imaginary rock stars: it would make better movies.

But as long as people will pay for that shit, we'll get more of it shrug

You obviously expect a documentary format within a narrative fim context. Your confusion is complete.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 11/07/18 2:14pm

PeteSilas

this topic has come up since Prince's death, i won't tell anyone else what they should want but it's a horrible idea, hollywood fucks up everything it touches.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 11/07/18 4:09pm

TrivialPursuit

PeteSilas said:

this topic has come up since Prince's death, i won't tell anyone else what they should want but it's a horrible idea, hollywood fucks up everything it touches.


This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 11/12/18 4:51am

ChocolateBox31
21

PennyPurple said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

I went to a ultra private screening, early last week, and I actually thought the movie was quite entertaining.

I believe if more of Freddy's "escapades" was included it would have easily gotten Rated NC-17. Then it wouldn't have made a number#1 debut at $51 million in the US.

Prince left enough footage in his vast catalog in his vault, to make MANY documentaries about him. That would fill up the next decades. Which is why the talented Ava Duvernay was hand picked by The Estate to handle them.

It's NO NEED of a biopic at this point. I WILL NOT APPROVE OF IT!

Like you have any say in the Estate matters. lol hah!

prince

[Edited 11/12/18 7:46am]

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 11/12/18 7:22am

PennyPurple

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

PennyPurple said:

Like you have any say in the Estate matters. lol hah!

rolleyes

Again, didn't I tell U? PLEASE STOP addressing, following, & stalking me to thread, to thread, to thread,to thread!

Your obsession with me is NOT going to get me to EVER like, deal,

or reveal ANYTHING with U boo boo...

And don't Org note me ever again.


LIAR

I've never org noted you, so you are a fucking liar, and I'll respond to whomever and whatever I deem necessary. And there is not 1 damn thing you can do about it. hah!

And you have no say in anything to do with the Estate. You are living a complete lie online. lol

And stop messaging me with your threats. Or I'm going to turn your ass in.

[Edited 11/12/18 7:23am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 11/12/18 7:47am

LittlePurpleYo
da

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

PennyPurple said:

Why didn't Prince do Live Aid?

Yeah same question from me? I’m sure there it’s been stated before. We do know he sent a video of a new song. Was he filming Under the Cherry Moon?

Live Aid took place in July 1985. 4 the Tears in Your Eyes was first released in April of 1985, included with the We Are The World album. He recycled the song & gave them a video for Live Aid. Under the Cherry Moon didn't begin filming until September 1985.

Springsteen was still touring for Born in the USA, so that's why he missed out. The Purple Rain tour had finished months before Live Aid. I suspect his absence was just another ego driven move on Prince's part - him wanting to do his own thing, such as it was. However, Stevie Wonder & Michael Jackson apparently attempted a boycott of the event because there weren't enough black acts on the bill. Maybe Prince felt similarly, albeit more under the radar?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 11/12/18 7:52am

CatB

PennyPurple said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

rolleyes

Again, didn't I tell U? PLEASE STOP addressing, following, & stalking me to thread, to thread, to thread,to thread!

Your obsession with me is NOT going to get me to EVER like, deal,

or reveal ANYTHING with U boo boo...

And don't Org note me ever again.


LIAR

I've never org noted you, so you are a fucking liar, and I'll respond to whomever and whatever I deem necessary. And there is not 1 damn thing you can do about it. hah!

And you have no say in anything to do with the Estate. You are living a complete lie online. lol

And stop messaging me with your threats. Or I'm going to turn your ass in.



Penny lol


"Time is space spent with U"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 11/12/18 7:54am

PennyPurple

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

PennyPurple said:

Like you have any say in the Estate matters. lol hah!

prince

[Edited 11/12/18 7:46am]

Yeah...delete your comment now, but I've got it quoted and snapshot. confused

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 11/12/18 8:06am

ChocolateBox31
21

rolleyes

I wouldn't expect anything less from a stalker....

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 11/12/18 8:23am

PennyPurple

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

rolleyes

I wouldn't expect anything less from a stalker....

And I don't expect the truth from a liar.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 11/12/18 8:14pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

LittlePurpleYoda said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


PennyPurple said:

Why didn't Prince do Live Aid?



Yeah same question from me? I’m sure there it’s been stated before. We do know he sent a video of a new song. Was he filming Under the Cherry Moon?


Live Aid took place in July 1985. 4 the Tears in Your Eyes was first released in April of 1985, included with the We Are The World album. He recycled the song & gave them a video for Live Aid. Under the Cherry Moon didn't begin filming until September 1985.

Springsteen was still touring for Born in the USA, so that's why he missed out. The Purple Rain tour had finished months before Live Aid. I suspect his absence was just another ego driven move on Prince's part - him wanting to do his own thing, such as it was. However, Stevie Wonder & Michael Jackson apparently attempted a boycott of the event because there weren't enough black acts on the bill. Maybe Prince felt similarly, albeit more under the radar?



Wow thanks. That’s a lot of good info
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 11/12/18 11:30pm

JorisE73

PennyPurple said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

rolleyes

I wouldn't expect anything less from a stalker....

And I don't expect the truth from a liar.

Just ignore this person because he/she seems (going on the posts this person makes) like one of those obsessive fanatical fans who pretend to be 'in the know' or 'in the business' like some of these other fakers from way back in the org days.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > With the amazing success of the musical bio-pic BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY....