independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 16th Dec 2018 1:44pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Rave album was a flop. Unfair?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 12/04/18 4:12pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

avatar

bonatoc said:

luvsexy4all said:

any tech savy mofos on here who can eliminate all the voices except hers???


1. Dont' expect miracles from science. Once you have a mixdown of audio signals,
it's pretty hard to isolate them, if not impossible depending on the source.

2. The way it is mixed? No. Karaoke-like filters are good at supressing the center of the stereo image
using phase inversion. If the lead vocal is perfectly at the center, it should disappear.
Problem is, anything that has been mixed (placed) in the center will also vanish.
Filters compensate by working on the usual frequencies the voice produces, so the kick drum and the bass,
usually mixed in mono at the center, won't dissapear as well.
Conclusion: we'll have to wait for the multitrack version reedition and a sympathetic A&R guy, I guess.

I love the explination but I think it was completely intentional so Prince didn't truly have to share the stage with the guest stars!! lol

2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 12/04/18 4:58pm

bonatoc

avatar

SupaFunkyOrgangrinderSexy said:

bonatoc said:


1. Dont' expect miracles from science. Once you have a mixdown of audio signals,
it's pretty hard to isolate them, if not impossible depending on the source.

2. The way it is mixed? No. Karaoke-like filters are good at supressing the center of the stereo image
using phase inversion. If the lead vocal is perfectly at the center, it should disappear.
Problem is, anything that has been mixed (placed) in the center will also vanish.
Filters compensate by working on the usual frequencies the voice produces, so the kick drum and the bass,
usually mixed in mono at the center, won't dissapear as well.
Conclusion: we'll have to wait for the multitrack version reedition and a sympathetic A&R guy, I guess.

I love the explination but I think it was completely intentional so Prince didn't truly have to share the stage with the guest stars!! lol


Maybe he came up with some royalties system
that paid the performer according to the decibels she produced on the record.

"Money? What Money? We can barely hear U!" biggrin

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 12/04/18 10:03pm

RODSERLING

bonatoc said:



SupaFunkyOrgangrinderSexy said:


The so called duets were embarrassing. You couldn't even tell the guests were in the songs!! lol




He turned it to 11 for Sheena Easton, but leaved Kate Bush at 1.
Go figure.



I learned only years later that RAVE was supposed to be a guest star album ! Really, I never regarded this album as an all star album before...that s ludicrous. Sheena Easton, Larry Graham, Maceo or Di Franco were hardly what you can consider as "stars" for the large audience.
.
Kate Bush I didn't even remember she was on the album
.
The only hyped star to be heard in Rave is Gwen Stefani, but her voice, and Prince s too, are lost in the mix I think. You can t recognize them at all, if you don t already know who is singing ! That's why I don't believe that So far... would have helped the album to sell.
.
If the concept was a guest star album aimed to be a success, then they should have fill the album with hyped guest star : Lenny Kravitz would have been easy, for instance.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 12/11/18 9:54am

Se7en

avatar

RODSERLING said:

bonatoc said:


He turned it to 11 for Sheena Easton, but leaved Kate Bush at 1.
Go figure.

I learned only years later that RAVE was supposed to be a guest star album ! Really, I never regarded this album as an all star album before...that s ludicrous. Sheena Easton, Larry Graham, Maceo or Di Franco were hardly what you can consider as "stars" for the large audience. . Kate Bush I didn't even remember she was on the album . The only hyped star to be heard in Rave is Gwen Stefani, but her voice, and Prince s too, are lost in the mix I think. You can t recognize them at all, if you don t already know who is singing ! That's why I don't believe that So far... would have helped the album to sell. . If the concept was a guest star album aimed to be a success, then they should have fill the album with hyped guest star : Lenny Kravitz would have been easy, for instance.


Sheryl Crow was very popular at the time, as was Eve.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 12/11/18 10:14am

NorthC

RODSERLING said:

bonatoc said:



SupaFunkyOrgangrinderSexy said:


The so called duets were embarrassing. You couldn't even tell the guests were in the songs!! lol




He turned it to 11 for Sheena Easton, but leaved Kate Bush at 1.
Go figure.



I learned only years later that RAVE was supposed to be a guest star album ! Really, I never regarded this album as an all star album before...that s ludicrous. Sheena Easton, Larry Graham, Maceo or Di Franco were hardly what you can consider as "stars" for the large audience.
.
Kate Bush I didn't even remember she was on the album
.
The only hyped star to be heard in Rave is Gwen Stefani, but her voice, and Prince s too, are lost in the mix I think. You can t recognize them at all, if you don t already know who is singing ! That's why I don't believe that So far... would have helped the album to sell.
.
If the concept was a guest star album aimed to be a success, then they should have fill the album with hyped guest star : Lenny Kravitz would have been easy, for instance.

And Carlos Santana. Clive Davis made Santana's album a hit. I always though it was a missed opportunity to not have the two guitar gods together on this album.
I may disagree with everything you say, but I will defend your right to say it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 12/15/18 8:22am

herb4

avatar

If you cobble together the strongest tracks from IN2 and UN2 you can arrive at a decent, rather middle of the road Prince album (but since no one can ever agree on the best tracks your mileage may vary).

God damn, I did this a LOT starting somewhere after TGE (splice albums into one CD). I have "Chaos & Come", "The Chocolate Slaughterhouse", "The NewPower Vault", "MLPS Flower", "Hit&Run Phase 1.5"...Musicology, 3121 and AoA I leave alone since they're pretty consistent and Planet Earth I never touch since it sucks throughout. "20Ten" became an EP along with PlectrumElectrum since I have nothing suitable to combine them with really.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Rave album was a flop. Unfair?