independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 19th Aug 2019 3:00am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 3-disc Rave release coming in March 2019?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 10 123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/02/19 7:06am

steakfinger

3-disc Rave release coming in March 2019?

Via Housequake on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/...548929026/

Of all things to get a multi disk rerelease this would not have been my choice. It could easily be Rave Un2, Rave In2, and the Rave concert DVD. The remix album is the only thing worth owning, but maybe it’ll be some other config.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/02/19 7:19am

jaawwnn

avatar

I'll take what I can get but a comprehensive re-release schedule is still sorely needed over these bitty things.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/02/19 7:42am

sulls

avatar

I'd take it. Have you seen what prices In2 has been commanding on eBay?

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/02/19 8:06am

pinkcashmere23

That sounds cool. I'd rather they release something new but I'd like to have 'Rave Into'.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/02/19 8:08am

Romeoblu

I really hope the 3rd disc is a set of Outtakes.

I already own in2 so Out takes would be the only thing about this set that would interest me. I would like to get Rave in2 on vinyl though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/02/19 8:11am

NorthC

So they're going from his most popular album to a piano rehearsal to one of his least popular albums? Looks like there is not much plan behind this and they release whatever they can find. If "the estate" (whoever or whatever that is) want folks to lose interest in Prince, they're doing an excellent job.
[Edited 1/2/19 8:13am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/02/19 8:50am

peedub

avatar

huh. that's the first time i've seen that cover photo uncropped.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/02/19 9:13am

NorthC

peedub said:

huh. that's the first time i've seen that cover photo uncropped.


And it's obvious why it was not used in this way: who's going to buy an album by an artist who's kneeling?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/02/19 9:19am

jdcxc

What is their plan? Why this album. Seems so random and disjointed.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/02/19 9:25am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Hopefully, the third disc is outtakes, but more likely this is both versions of the album, plus the DVD.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/02/19 9:26am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

It's likely that the set will be both albums, and the DVD. Don't hold your breath for outtakes. Not every set is going to have that, although the songs probably exist.

If, and it probably is, it is that configuration, I'll pass. I have all three of those. I don't need to spend money for new packaging but the same content. For fans that don't have them all, and maybe only have the first album, it could be a reasonable purchase.

Considering the production value of the DVD, I would hope the whole set isn't over $29.98. It ain't worth more than that as a 3-disk set.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/02/19 10:07am

Shockedelicus

God, that's some atrocious album art. 1999-2000 was the age of the tin foil jumpsuit. The album really is as dated as its cover, mainly just P trying to keep up with the musical landscape. It really lacks any kind of Prince feel. It was sad to see Prince getting out-Princed by the artists he inspired from the late 90s onward. D'Angelo, Justin, Janelle, etc.

There are a few really good tracks on Rave, but give me the '88-'89 outtakes instead, thanks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/02/19 10:20am

feeluupp

avatar

Rod already posted this in the Musicology, 3121, Planet Earth re release thread...

Yes it's 3 cd's, Rave Un2, Rave In2 and the DVD...

Another wasted opprotunity by Sony and the Estate, but hey that's what being a Prince fan is about now a days...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/02/19 10:31am

RODSERLING

NorthC said:

So they're going from his most popular album to a piano rehearsal to one of his least popular albums? Looks like there is not much plan behind this and they release whatever they can find. If "the estate" (whoever or whatever that is) want folks to lose interest in Prince, they're doing an excellent job.
[Edited 1/2/19 8:13am]


On thé contrary, Sony is releasing 23 Prince albums in 2019, with 3 CDs and an average of 6 vinyles worth by month. That s huge, very huge, and I think, unheard of.
.
You can't blame Sony on that.
Rave was certified Gold in the US, that s not nothing. It is Moreover labeled as "produced by Prince".
RaveIn2 was never really released, so that s good news for people like me who haven't it.
Raveun2000 will give better visibility to the project for the non hardcore fans.
.
They will release the best selling albums first, and Rave is one of them,like it or not.
.
My guess is that the third batch will consist of just Emancipation or just Lotus Flower, both triple releases, both certified in the US.
[Edited 1/2/19 10:36am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/02/19 10:54am

NorthC

^Okay, if you look at it like that, then I guess you have a point. I'll just wait and see.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/02/19 11:02am

thedance

avatar

this news.. is... wonderful imho... woot!


Rave IN2 the Joy.. is fantastic.. much better than Rave UN2...

(I do own the Rave IN2 original Cd-album already.. though.... wink )

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/02/19 11:09am

MattyJam

avatar

Shockedelicus said:

God, that's some atrocious album art. 1999-2000 was the age of the tin foil jumpsuit. The album really is as dated as its cover, mainly just P trying to keep up with the musical landscape. It really lacks any kind of Prince feel. It was sad to see Prince getting out-Princed by the artists he inspired from the late 90s onward. D'Angelo, Justin, Janelle, etc.



There are a few really good tracks on Rave, but give me the '88-'89 outtakes instead, thanks.



Justin Timberlake never out-Princed Prince. You oughtta be slapped!!! And Janelle Monae would’ve been 14yrs old in 1999, so I haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about there!!

I got no beef with this release. The album is out of print and I sold my copy of In2 years ago when I was hard up and needed the money. I will probably cop this.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/02/19 11:16am

dodger

MattyJam said:

Shockedelicus said:

God, that's some atrocious album art. 1999-2000 was the age of the tin foil jumpsuit. The album really is as dated as its cover, mainly just P trying to keep up with the musical landscape. It really lacks any kind of Prince feel. It was sad to see Prince getting out-Princed by the artists he inspired from the late 90s onward. D'Angelo, Justin, Janelle, etc.



There are a few really good tracks on Rave, but give me the '88-'89 outtakes instead, thanks.



Justin Timberlake never out-Princed Prince. You oughtta be slapped!!! And Janelle Monae would’ve been 14yrs old in 1999, so I haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about there!!

I got no beef with this release. The album is out of print and I sold my copy of In2 years ago when I was hard up and needed the money. I will probably cop this.


This release is on you MattyJam.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/02/19 11:32am

jjam

One of Prince's crappiest albums.

Woohoo.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/02/19 1:09pm

MarshallStacks

avatar

If this is true ... neutral

A re-release of this (decent overall) album without any outtakes is of no interest to me whatsoever.



They seem to be behaving like Prince has like 10 outtakes in his vault.



Release real vault material (ideally previously unheard, unbootlegged songs) sooner rather than later, while there is still enough interest from the general public and the fanbase. We're not dealing with a David Bowie type situation where he apparently left strict instructions to the estate to release only unreleased material he had authorised. If Prince really cared, he had time to say/ do something to this effect.



According to interviews from engineers from the period, there is a load of unheard stuff from the late '90s ...



After the bizarre decision to release the '83 piano and mic rehearsal as a proper 'album' rather than a bonus disc to the PR remaster, the mind boggles.

We don't wanna be on our Zimmers by the time they release the real unheard gold sad .

[Edited 1/2/19 13:12pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/02/19 1:45pm

MIRvmn

avatar

The only positive thing about this release is that Rave In2 will be more accessible on CD so fans can avoid the overpriced original cd on ebay
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/02/19 4:12pm

RODSERLING

Don't forget for those who doesn't t care about this objectively overall good album :
- there is a new booklet of 28 pages
- this is the first time it will be released on (double) vinyl.
.
I agree though, they could have used the unused space on every CD rerelease to collect the B sides material, released at the time on singles and promo, and why not the music videos.
.
Sony is supposed to own this material too.
For instance :
MUSICOLOGY :
- Magnificent
- Dear Mr Man Live
- The 3 music videos ( Musicology was included on the original release. What about the re release? These are true and interesting questions)
.
3121 :
- SST
- Brand New Orleans
- Fury Live
.
Rave Un2 and In2 could share the numerous remixes of TGRES.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/02/19 4:17pm

feeluupp

avatar

RODSERLING said:

Don't forget for those who doesn't t care about this objectively overall good album : - there is a new booklet of 28 pages - this is the first time it will be released on (double) vinyl. . I agree though, they could have used the unused space on every CD rerelease to collect the B sides material, released at the time on singles and promo, and why not the music videos. . Sony is supposed to own this material too. For instance : MUSICOLOGY : - Magnificent - Dear Mr Man Live - The 3 music videos ( Musicology was included on the original release. What about the re release? These are true and interesting questions) . 3121 : - SST - Brand New Orleans - Fury Live . Rave Un2 and In2 could share the numerous remixes of TGRES.

28 photos of seeing him in that God awful blue one piece suit lol

Remember we had that guy who worked on PR DELUXE brag about how good the booklet was, and it ended up just being one unseen photo from the when dovesy cry shoot rolleyes

I really don't think Sony are focusing on re releasing unreleased material or b-sides or whatever... I think they WB and Troy Carter are saving that for the 80's albums...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/02/19 4:27pm

feeluupp

avatar

But then again the 28 page booklet is probably taken out of context and will just be the two albums combined original booklets, so I'm not expecting anything new. Rave is such an uninspiring and "forgotten" era in the Prince catalouge.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/02/19 4:29pm

RODSERLING

feeluupp said:



RODSERLING said:


Don't forget for those who doesn't t care about this objectively overall good album : - there is a new booklet of 28 pages - this is the first time it will be released on (double) vinyl. . I agree though, they could have used the unused space on every CD rerelease to collect the B sides material, released at the time on singles and promo, and why not the music videos. . Sony is supposed to own this material too. For instance : MUSICOLOGY : - Magnificent - Dear Mr Man Live - The 3 music videos ( Musicology was included on the original release. What about the re release? These are true and interesting questions) . 3121 : - SST - Brand New Orleans - Fury Live . Rave Un2 and In2 could share the numerous remixes of TGRES.



28 photos of seeing him in that God awful blue one piece suit lol



Remember we had that guy who worked on PR DELUXE brag about how good the booklet was, and it ended up just being one unseen photo from the when dovesy cry shoot rolleyes




I really don't think Sony are focusing on re releasing unreleased material or b-sides or whatever... I think they WB and Troy Carter are saving that for the 80's albums...



My point is that Sony paid for the B sides, but don t use it. Maybe nobody thought about it, since people in the industry now never knew the singles era and that there were contents not included on the album.
.
Or maybe they know orgers would complain these B sides are not released separately on a other disc...
Sad, but surely true.
[Edited 1/2/19 16:29pm]
[Edited 1/2/19 16:30pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/02/19 4:32pm

feeluupp

avatar

RODSERLING said:

feeluupp said:

28 photos of seeing him in that God awful blue one piece suit lol

Remember we had that guy who worked on PR DELUXE brag about how good the booklet was, and it ended up just being one unseen photo from the when dovesy cry shoot rolleyes

I really don't think Sony are focusing on re releasing unreleased material or b-sides or whatever... I think they WB and Troy Carter are saving that for the 80's albums...

My point is that Sony paid for the B sides, but don t use it. Maybe nobody thought about it, since people in the industry now never knew the singles era and that there were contents not included on the album. . Or maybe they know orgers would complain these B sides are not released separately on a other disc... Sad, but surely true. [Edited 1/2/19 16:29pm] [Edited 1/2/19 16:30pm]

They paid for it but don't use it... Means one of two things, one they don't care about it because how many b-sides from the late 90's do people even remember? Two they would be probably spending more money to curate all those unreleased tracks from the 90's for albums that the public had little interest in...

With this Rave release it's ironic he said this in the Undisputed song: "Commercialization, commercialization of the music is what brought it down."

One of the reasons Rave failed so bad is it's because his very goal for that album was to be commercial. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/02/19 4:34pm

feeluupp

avatar

Which is why Sony is spending the minimum amount of effort and money re releasing these, not remasterd, no bonus songs or b-sides or unreleased material, or music videos with it or special never before seen pictures or booklets from the era... Why... These albums barely sold anything when they are out, so who's the target audience for these re releases, a few thousand Prince fans who are way over 40.. rolleyes

These will sell nothing and you know it, Rod you were the one complaning day and night how the Purple Rain Deluxe flopped.

[Edited 1/2/19 16:40pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/02/19 5:02pm

Freek99999

who exactly is this aimed at?

not the really big Prince fans, they have the original cd and the dvd (and many of them also Rave In2) and there are no outtakes

not the casual Prince fan, cause they'll be wondering why there are so many songs in (almost) the same versions on disc 1 and 2

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/02/19 10:18pm

RODSERLING

feeluupp said:

Which is why Sony is spending the minimum amount of effort and money re releasing these, not remasterd, no bonus songs or b-sides or unreleased material, or music videos with it or special never before seen pictures or booklets from the era... Why... These albums barely sold anything when they are out, so who's the target audience for these re releases, a few thousand Prince fans who are way over 40.. rolleyes




These will sell nothing and you know it, Rod you were the one complaning day and night how the Purple Rain Deluxe flopped.


[Edited 1/2/19 16:40pm]



It will sell something, combined with 23 albums, and the already existing WB catalogue,it makes great physical numbers in the end.
Personally, I am eager to buy RaveIN2.
I LENT years ago my Musicology and 3121 copies, the digipack was lost in the process, and I lost my CD of 3121 when I moved recently.
So I will buy them again.
.
I never bought Planet Earth because I was unhappy at the time that it was sold 6 times the price in the UK without even a booklet !
.
Now, at least there would be one!
So that makes already 4 albums in a months to buy for me.
.
These releases are not expensive, about 10 dollars is a good bargain.
.
Moreover, I hesitate to buy a vinyl platin. I know the sound of these réédition s can t sound better than the CDs but I love the cover arts and it s a good object.
.
There is no point in remastering albums from the 95/2000 and the 2000s, they were already. Fucked up by the loudness war.
So what would be the point in increasing the loudness, like in every remasterisation?
Moreover, music was already recorded digitally at the time, so there are no equalisations to make,no breath noises, no cracklings, etc.
.
There are numerous post 1995 I don t own officially because when I wanted to buy them they were already out of print :
Gold
Chaos
Slaughterhouse
Chocolate Box
Xpectation
C note
One nite alone
...
I have a friend, he hates Prince music, but he absolutely loves N.E.W.S, I don t know why.
He always wanted to buy it, but couldn't afford 300 bucks for this. Now, he could buy it.
.
Everyone could buy the albums they want, as with every artist, and that s great.
[Edited 1/2/19 22:28pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/02/19 10:59pm

paulaiden

RODSERLING said:

feeluupp said:

Which is why Sony is spending the minimum amount of effort and money re releasing these, not remasterd, no bonus songs or b-sides or unreleased material, or music videos with it or special never before seen pictures or booklets from the era... Why... These albums barely sold anything when they are out, so who's the target audience for these re releases, a few thousand Prince fans who are way over 40.. rolleyes




These will sell nothing and you know it, Rod you were the one complaning day and night how the Purple Rain Deluxe flopped.


[Edited 1/2/19 16:40pm]



It will sell something, combined with 23 albums, and the already existing WB catalogue,it makes great physical numbers in the end.
Personally, I am eager to buy RaveIN2.
I LENT years ago my Musicology and 3121 copies, the digipack was lost in the process, and I lost my CD of 3121 when I moved recently.
So I will buy them again.
.
I never bought Planet Earth because I was unhappy at the time that it was sold 6 times the price in the UK without even a booklet !
.
Now, at least there would be one!
So that makes already 4 albums in a months to buy for me.
.
These releases are not expensive, about 10 dollars is a good bargain.
.
Moreover, I hesitate to buy a vinyl platin. I know the sound of these réédition s can t sound better than the CDs but I love the cover arts and it s a good object.
.
There is no point in remastering albums from the 95/2000 and the 2000s, they were already. Fucked up by the loudness war.
So what would be the point in increasing the loudness, like in every remasterisation?
Moreover, music was already recorded digitally at the time, so there are no equalisations to make,no breath noises, no cracklings, etc.
.
There are numerous post 1995 I don t own officially because when I wanted to buy them they were already out of print :
Gold
Chaos
Slaughterhouse
Chocolate Box
Xpectation
C note
One nite alone
...
I have a friend, he hates Prince music, but he absolutely loves N.E.W.S, I don t know why.
He always wanted to buy it, but couldn't afford 300 bucks for this. Now, he could buy it.
.
Everyone could buy the albums they want, as with every artist, and that s great.
[Edited 1/2/19 22:28pm]


Prince wasn’t recording digitally as far as I know through these albums. I have Musicology and 3121 on promo vinyl and belive me they sound far better than the CD’s, the volume is set a lot lower than CD when mastering to vinyl, im expecting all 3 of these to sound incredible!

As a side note: Rave also sounds miles better on vinyl and you can tell most of that was also recorded to 2 inch reel. Paisley Park has always been an old school studio and Prince was very “if it aint broke dont fix it” to do with analogue recording techniques and when a lot of musicians went digital, Kate Bush for example (The Red Shoes, 1993) he stayed making music like the old days, a lot of paisley park was built to be like Sunset Sound in Hollywood which hadnt changed much since the 60’s (ive visited both studios), sure he strarted to use pro-tools from the late 90’s and was used up to 2016 Hit n run 2 but he still recorded to tape, this is why ALL Prince albums sound better on Wax in my opinion.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 10 123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 3-disc Rave release coming in March 2019?