independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 21st Apr 2019 7:06pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I Like It There or Guitar?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/04/19 11:16am

rogifan

I Like It There or Guitar?

Both of these songs Prince played live a lot in later years. Which one do you prefer live? I would have a hard time choosing as I love them both. Guitar at 2011 North Sea Jazz and 2013 Dakota are probably my favorite live versions of it. And the 2013 Portland version of I Like It There is amazing. Just loud and heavy punk/grunge. I wish more people had the opportunity to see live performances like these, they would totally change their opinion of Prince as a rocker/guitar player.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/04/19 11:31am

dodger

I Like It There easily for me. 2009 Conga Room version with Sonny and Michael is the ultimate for me.
.
Never really liked the lyrics to Guitar
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/04/19 12:42pm

TheCollecter

I Like It There

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/05/19 12:48pm

steakfinger

Guitar sounds like a throwaway track to me, so I Like It There is my choice

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/05/19 2:54pm

DarkKnight1

avatar

I Like it There is some raw Prince greatness.

(Insert something clever here)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/05/19 3:42pm

NorthC

He played both in the Melkweg in 2011 and one of the greatest moments was when he led us in a call and response chant:
You like it where...?
I like it there!
[Edited 2/5/19 15:44pm]
[Edited 2/5/19 15:45pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/05/19 4:08pm

Doozer

avatar

I'll vote "Guitar," especially because I really enjoyed the unaired performance of it on Leno.

Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/05/19 4:16pm

rdhull

avatar

Guitar. I Like It Thre is a joke. Its like 90210 rock.

sitting like a princess perched in her electric chair
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/05/19 4:48pm

rogifan

NorthC said:

He played both in the Melkweg in 2011 and one of the greatest moments was when he led us in a call and response chant:
You like it where...?
I like it there!
[Edited 2/5/19 15:44pm]
[Edited 2/5/19 15:45pm]

He did something similar at the Dakota shows in 2013.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/05/19 5:43pm

callimnate

avatar

I LOVE it there! wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/05/19 6:50pm

robertgeorge

I like it there is my choice. "What can I say Shakespeare hasn't said before." "On your heavenly body I swear, I like it there" I like it there sounds cooler with more fire. Guitar sounds generic and is not as good as the song with the similar riff U2's I will follow.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/05/19 8:59pm

rogifan

robertgeorge said:

I like it there is my choice. "What can I say Shakespeare hasn't said before." "On your heavenly body I swear, I like it there" I like it there sounds cooler with more fire. Guitar sounds generic and is not as good as the song with the similar riff U2's I will follow.


At the Dakota when he sang “on your heavenly body I swear” he ad libbed “well I don’t swear anymore”. lol
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/05/19 9:01pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

Love them both.

There is an Orger who requested "I Like it There" in L.A. at the Nokia, and Prince played it. The Orger's reaction is one of the coolest things you'll ever hear.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/07/19 5:13pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

Love them both. Guitar is a sure fire commercial pop tune, where I Like it There is a bit more get down and dirty.

I'd have to go with the latter as my go to tune of the two.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/07/19 6:00pm

rdhull

avatar

RodeoSchro said:

Love them both.

There is an Orger who requested "I Like it There" in L.A. at the Nokia, and Prince played it. The Orger's reaction is one of the coolest things you'll ever hear.

That was Cody, and it was planned.

sitting like a princess perched in her electric chair
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/07/19 7:27pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

I like it there KILLS Guitar

Easily.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/07/19 8:56pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

rdhull said:

RodeoSchro said:

Love them both.

There is an Orger who requested "I Like it There" in L.A. at the Nokia, and Prince played it. The Orger's reaction is one of the coolest things you'll ever hear.

That was Cody, and it was planned.



His joy was real. "Oh my God! Oh my God!" AWESOME!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/08/19 7:54pm

Seahorsie

avatar

Guitar for me. I love his playing in it, but something in those lyrics really gives me some insight. He loved all his women, tried to be good to them (at least most of the time), but his one true love that never failed him was his music...exlemplified in this song as his "guitar."

What he really felt about things always seemed to leak through in the words. That's why although I adore his abilities on various instruments, I never get tired of listening to the lyrics to try to catch all the meanings he left there. It's like mining for gold that other people just can't see...


twocents

Good morning children...take a look out your window, the world is falling...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/09/19 5:50am

iZsaZsa

avatar

rdhull said:

Guitar. I Like It Thre is a joke. Its like 90210 rock.


No problem here, I loved high school. And I love that ad lib at the end.

Guitar, though. It comes on and I become one of the TWINZ. Look out!

What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/09/19 5:55am

iZsaZsa

avatar

Seahorsie said:

Guitar for me. I love his playing in it, but something in those lyrics really gives me some insight. He loved all his women, tried to be good to them (at least most of the time), but his one true love that never failed him was his music...exlemplified in this song as his "guitar."

What he really felt about things always seemed to leak through in the words. That's why although I adore his abilities on various instruments, I never get tired of listening to the lyrics to try to catch all the meanings he left there. It's like mining for gold that other people just can't see...


twocents

sun

What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/09/19 6:46am

67Cadillac

"Guitar" is one of the worst song he's ever done. "I Like It There" is solid B-level Prince material, but it's one of the last times he got truly raunchy, so it gets my vote.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/09/19 7:31am

rogifan

67Cadillac said:

"Guitar" is one of the worst song he's ever done. "I Like It There" is solid B-level Prince material, but it's one of the last times he got truly raunchy, so it gets my vote.


I can certainly think of worse songs than Guitar. Heck I think Cream is one of the worst songs he’s done (I know I’m in the minority there).
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/10/19 12:55am

teoalcantara

I Like it There

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/10/19 3:18pm

GiggityGoo

avatar

"I Like It There", by a mile. I've never understood the love for "Guitar" that I've seen on the Org... it bugs the living snot out of me that a song with that title has no amazing guitar-based hook or solo. It's got guitar WORK, but nothing like the recognizable grooves or solos like WDC, ICNTTPOYM, etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/10/19 6:06pm

TheTruth123

Both. I do love “Guitar” too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/10/19 6:35pm

feeluupp

avatar

Guitar is as over rated here on the Org as AOA and TGE. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/10/19 7:00pm

pinkcashmere23

I Like It There especially the version by 3rd Eye Girl at The Dakota

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I Like It There or Guitar?