independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 25th Aug 2019 10:21pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > One Night Alone live! Wow
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/17/19 9:25am

leecaldon

NPG Music Club in full effect!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/17/19 11:40pm

andrewm7

^ indeed ! I still think that those first three years of the NPGmusic club were the Bomb! Those were my favourite times overall as a Prince fan smile

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/18/19 1:51am

dodger

Great tour. I caught it in Manchester and got a high five from Maceo as he walked down the aisle pre-show.

.

Love the version of Sign O' The Times, surprisingly the DJ record scratching works for me.

The preaching didn't bother me, he came across quite sincere during The Ladder.

.

Some excellent soundboard aftershows as well.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/18/19 1:26pm

cfluid

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

It says a lot doesn’t it? That after a divisive underperforming album, he sets out and preforms one of the most amazing tours that has everyone that has seen and listened to it praising it ...and even releasing a box set of it. Granted it took me 20 years in the dark to finally give it a chance and get it. Better late than never. [Edited 7/14/19 21:52pm]

yes, I know what U mean! our mercurial Prince. U never knew what he would do next

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 07/18/19 1:32pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

I think this is one time where something taken out of context is better appreciated. It took time and distance for me to see and listen to it without bias. I didnt mind the preaching one bit. Nothing too heavy handed in my opinion.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 07/18/19 8:41pm

darlingnikkkki

It’s the best thing that came out of his involvement with JW. I still feel, however, that organized religion stunted his growth, musically, emotionally, and psychologically.
"I want to be the only one you come for...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 07/18/19 9:09pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

darlingnikkkki said:

It’s the best thing that came out of his involvement with JW. I still feel, however, that organized religion stunted his growth, musically, emotionally, and psychologically.


I’m not a fan of organized religion either, but I always felt he was lost in the 90’s. Looking at him from the outside, he seems to have come out of the 90’s and into the 2000’s a better man in my opinion. His live shows in the 2000’s were all pretty fucking great.
[Edited 7/18/19 21:13pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 07/18/19 11:40pm

dualboot

avatar

Loefie said:

Doalwa said:



Wow, that sounds like a great time!

I still remember being on such a high after those two shows I’ve attended, that whole era was so remarkable.

I also remember, we had quite a huge storefront in western Germany that day of the show in Oberhausen...I was flying over the Autobahn and after entering Oberhausen there were literally street signs flying my way...then I stood close to two hours in the rain in front of the arena.

But it didn’t matter, I connected with some guys from the audience...one guy drove all the way from Berlin to catch this show, he was practically converted to hardcore fandom after catching his show in Berlin.

The whole atmosphere was just great, there was a lot of love in the audience on both nights.


Yeah, now you mention it I remember. There was a storm that day, with at least a lot of wind. I think we were inside before most of the rain came down, but that wind. Prince even made a remark about the weather at the beginning of the show.

And like you said, the atmosphere inside was great, a lot of love inside that building that night. Man, great memories!!



When he came on stage he remarked “Nice weather you have here, reminds me of Home”. That soundcheck was the start of a 39 Hour run from oberhausen soundcheck to Paris bataclan....which was a tad too much, i was tired
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 07/19/19 1:51am

bergowitz

avatar

That whole period is brilliant - Rainbow Children, N.E.W.S (my two favourite studio albums), One Nite Alone... Live!, Live at the Aladdin. It almost feels like he decided to no longer follow trends (as he had done in the 90s, to his detriment) and instead follow his inspiration and his gift. The results are just amazing and that band was something else. Greater than the sum of its parts and the sum was probably one of the best bands ever by anyone.

i wish i had a river so long, i would teach my feet to fly away
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 07/19/19 12:16pm

srwartist

Huge WoW. First rehearsal, then the show, and then an aftershow. Best hours spent ever
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 07/20/19 7:51am

herb4

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

herb4 said:

Saw this tour 2 nights in a row in Atlanta and it was nice to have a set list that was light on hits for a change. Biggest highlights for me were having 3rd row seats, soundcheck access, a chance to speak to him and a great aftershow but I wouldn't put the concert itself up there with the top of the ones I saw.

What are your top picks?


Musicology, Lovesexy, Purple Rain from the ones I saw. The afterhows I saw were the best. The SoTT tour I didn't see in person but that one too

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 07/22/19 8:43pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

.

[Edited 7/25/19 14:58pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 07/22/19 9:52pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

This concert is well documented and there is a beautiful box set of it, but there were so many shows and not all of them were exactly the same. So its nice that cell phone videos are around for some gems.



https://youtu.be/ZMMAV_o-L5E


And that after show at the HOB..
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 07/23/19 5:54am

highcalonic

This period was Prince return to a true form for me. That's why i decided to go to Paisley Park for the June 2002 Celebration. It was an amazing week ! If you have not listen to it yet, go find it and listen NOW

"You can skate around the issue if you like,
But who's gonna get you high in the middle of the night?"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 07/25/19 1:35pm

jfenster

check out the NYC 2002 show..

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 07/25/19 5:21pm

Wolfie87

Farfunknugin said:

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

https://youtu.be/ZMMAV_o-L5E

Is that recorded on a cell phone from 2002!? Did videos have that great quality on cell phones way back in 2002?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 07/25/19 7:05pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Wolfie87 said:



Farfunknugin said:


Ugot2shakesumthin said:



https://youtu.be/ZMMAV_o-L5E





Is that recorded on a cell phone from 2002!? Did videos have that great quality on cell phones way back in 2002?


Yeah after I posted the link, I realized that it’s much higher quality than a cell phone. Especially 2002
.
This is a good clip to introduce anyone not familiar with Prince, or only know him from Purple Rain. Clips like this show the amazing musicianship, they encapsulate who he is. His talent, personality, his later beliefs and humor.
[Edited 7/26/19 7:16am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 07/26/19 2:53pm

42Kristen

eye

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 07/30/19 12:32pm

andm

Out of all the times i saw Prince this tour was the best for me personally. Seeing in London at the Hammersmith apollo from soundcheck with about 30 people, a brilliant main concert and then an amazing aftershow was just insane. All in all around 5 hours of Prince.

Also seeing him finish the encore with an unbelievable version of Anna Stesia was god like.

Agree about the band being his best, it was just a great time to be a Prince fam.

Other highlights for me that night were : the work ( relaised what a great song it was) 1+1+1=3 (funky as hell), strange relationship and then the whole piano set, and sign of the times at the aftershow!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 07/30/19 4:16pm

jfenster

andm said:

Out of all the times i saw Prince this tour was the best for me personally. Seeing in London at the Hammersmith apollo from soundcheck with about 30 people, a brilliant main concert and then an amazing aftershow was just insane. All in all around 5 hours of Prince.

Also seeing him finish the encore with an unbelievable version of Anna Stesia was god like.

Agree about the band being his best, it was just a great time to be a Prince fam.

Other highlights for me that night were : the work ( relaised what a great song it was) 1+1+1=3 (funky as hell), strange relationship and then the whole piano set, and sign of the times at the aftershow!

is there a boot of this?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/02/19 6:27am

MattUK

Nightcrawler said:

Doalwa said:
My first ever Prince concerts! Saw him in Frankfurt and Oberhausen...2002, I think?!? By then, he changed the set list a bit...crowd pleasers such as Purple Rain were back! But it was still a mesmerizing experience...I still have goosebumps thinking back on that awesome Days of Wild rendition in Oberhausen and the whole crowd chanting „It ain’t over“ for minutes afterwards...and indeed, it wasn’t nearly over yet! Those two shows where the best concerts I’ve ever seen by anyone, and I’ve seen my share of legends...the Stones, James Brown, George Michael, to name a few of my favorite artists. But they couldn’t so much as touch this man when he was in his prime! [Edited 7/14/19 10:06am]
I was in Oberhausen, too. A true highlight of his career - and my favourite tour. Being able to witness the rehearsal before the show is still one of my all time favourite memories of being a Prince fan!

Yep, those NPGMC soundcheck tickets were well worth it.

Saw the ONA tour in London and it was amazing. That was the last time I saw him live. I avoided the 21 Nights at the O2 because after seeing him in a relatively small venue I felt that could never be topped.

Kinda regret not seeing him live again now, of course. Would definitely have seen Piano & A Microphone if that tour had come here... but sadly that was not to be.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/08/19 12:06am

paulaiden

After seeing prince on a total of 9 tours and 21 shows.... Without a shadow of doubt One Nite Alone was his absolute best. The greatest concert I’ve ever been to of any artist. It was the last time he was truly wanting to dedicate an entire tour to one album which I happen to think was his greatest. According to sound engineer Scotty it’s the only tour he ever did with in ear monitors.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/08/19 12:09am

paulaiden

MattUK said:



Nightcrawler said:


Doalwa said:
My first ever Prince concerts! Saw him in Frankfurt and Oberhausen...2002, I think?!? By then, he changed the set list a bit...crowd pleasers such as Purple Rain were back! But it was still a mesmerizing experience...I still have goosebumps thinking back on that awesome Days of Wild rendition in Oberhausen and the whole crowd chanting „It ain’t over“ for minutes afterwards...and indeed, it wasn’t nearly over yet! Those two shows where the best concerts I’ve ever seen by anyone, and I’ve seen my share of legends...the Stones, James Brown, George Michael, to name a few of my favorite artists. But they couldn’t so much as touch this man when he was in his prime! [Edited 7/14/19 10:06am]

I was in Oberhausen, too. A true highlight of his career - and my favourite tour. Being able to witness the rehearsal before the show is still one of my all time favourite memories of being a Prince fan!


Yep, those NPGMC soundcheck tickets were well worth it.



Saw the ONA tour in London and it was amazing. That was the last time I saw him live. I avoided the 21 Nights at the O2 because after seeing him in a relatively small venue I felt that could never be topped.



Kinda regret not seeing him live again now, of course. Would definitely have seen Piano & A Microphone if that tour had come here... but sadly that was not to be.






I feel your pain for Piano and a Mic! It’s a shame (I’m guessing) you didn’t know about all the intimate shows at Indigo2 in 2007 which were £25 a ticket but it was a lottery whether he would attend, they were incredible but still One Nite Alone will always be my favourite.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 08/08/19 1:50pm

Missmusicluver
72

I have seen clips of this era on Youtube and oh yes, he was jamming and the band was awesome of course! The Rainbow Children is an excellent album. I love, love, love the versions of Anna Stesia and Joy in Repetition that he did at the aftershows during this time too.

[Edited 8/8/19 13:50pm]

[Edited 8/8/19 13:51pm]

Love is God, God is love, girls and boys love God above.
RIP Sweet Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 08/08/19 2:52pm

Strive

Wish we would get a boxset or a new release from this tour.

Xenophobia from the New York show was wild. The (synth?) noise was mixed so loud it felt like a foreboding siren. Prince was inspired and in a mood. The entire band was on point.

Compare that to the version of Xenophonia from Portland on One Night Alone...Live! The noise was buried in the mix. Prince was overrehearsed and incoherent in his adlibs. The band was adequete.

no yesterday or tomorrow, no better remedy for sorrow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > One Night Alone live! Wow