independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 7th Dec 2019 9:43am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Question For Orgers Who Didn’t Get Into “Rainbow Children”
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 11/26/19 2:04pm

Hamad

avatar

jaawwnn said:

It's a great album, I appreciate that he really meant the lyrics, at their best they're thoughtprovoking even if they're preachy. Sure he was always preachy, he literally has a song called God. On the Rainbow Children the lyrics are kind of specific where he was quite vague in the past, I think some people might have been uncomfortable being confronted with them, and I can't blame them either.

There's been some criticism of the music being phony jazz, which is probably kind of true, but I still enjoy it since he mixes it with enough other stuff to keep it inspired. I always like to hear him stretching himself musically and he really does seem to be doing that on this album. The 'Darth Vader' voice criticism i've never gotten, it's just a variation on the PFunk thing isn't it? Go listen to Maggot Brain.


[Edited 11/26/19 2:17am]



I too got the funkadelic reference, but it wasn’t “Maggot Brain”, it was “Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts”. George used that same distorted voice nod
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLH82
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 11/26/19 2:07pm

Mintchip

avatar

Genesia said:

JoeyCococo said:

Can you elaborate a bit on what the anti-semitism parts are?

In Family Name, he seems to be casting the slave trade (with its obliteration of African culture in the form of renaming slaves) at the feet of people with stereotypically Jewish names. Of course, most of those stereotypically Jewish names aren't original Family Names, either.

Perhaps his point was that for some people, changing their names was a choice rather than coercion (of something even more malevolent). But Jews had their names changed forcibly or as a result of persecution, as well.

At best, it was an odd artistic choice. At worst … well, I already said what I thought the worst was.

.

There's also the unfortunate "Holocaust aside / many lived and died / but when all the truth is told / would you rather be dead or sold?" bit.

.

I think he's comparing the trauma of slavery to the Holocaust? Unsure, it's clumsy. But both these examples, if you unpack them, brush against common anti-semitic tropes. Jews were often portrayed as caring about money first, and only, and often at the expense of the lives of other people. The holocaust is often doubted, or put aside.

.

It's sloppy.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 11/26/19 2:16pm

bluefish

avatar

I've always loved the album. While I do not agree with a lot of the religious content, I respect the fact that Prince was on his own spiritual path, was passionate and inspired over it, and wished to express that through his art. The album is thought-provoking and musically sublime.

‎https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvmsrcg1qD_wVuS4qnopmQg
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 11/26/19 2:37pm

Genesia

avatar

Mintchip said:

Genesia said:

In Family Name, he seems to be casting the slave trade (with its obliteration of African culture in the form of renaming slaves) at the feet of people with stereotypically Jewish names. Of course, most of those stereotypically Jewish names aren't original Family Names, either.

Perhaps his point was that for some people, changing their names was a choice rather than coercion (of something even more malevolent). But Jews had their names changed forcibly or as a result of persecution, as well.

At best, it was an odd artistic choice. At worst … well, I already said what I thought the worst was.

.

There's also the unfortunate "Holocaust aside / many lived and died / but when all the truth is told / would you rather be dead or sold?" bit.

.

I think he's comparing the trauma of slavery to the Holocaust? Unsure, it's clumsy. But both these examples, if you unpack them, brush against common anti-semitic tropes. Jews were often portrayed as caring about money first, and only, and often at the expense of the lives of other people. The holocaust is often doubted, or put aside.

.

It's sloppy.


Exactly. But why even compare the two? And, more to the point, why make the assertion that the Holocaust wasn't as bad because the Jews were killed rather than sold? I guess he didn't read that Old Testament chapter where Pharaoh made his Hebrew slaves build the pyramids. rolleyes

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 11/26/19 11:34pm

dustoff

avatar

I can't listen to Family Name, even his voice has an unpleasantly spiteful tone to it -- to match the lyrics.

One reason I still enjoy Rainbow Children (which owes as much to Stevie Wonder as it does George Clinton) is that all the other religtious/theocracy stuff is SO far out to me that I consider it to be basically sci-fi.

Rainbow Children is like the Imperial version of Mothership Connection. Nos sure if that makes it better, or worse.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 11/27/19 12:13am

LoveGalore

I've been ignoring Prince's dogmatic lyrics since I first heard DMSR. He's one of the only people I can tolerate talking about their beliefs in that way. It has never offended me that much.

I love Rainbow Children. I look at it as a fairytale. Like he's singing about Lord of the Rings or some shit for all I care. If I took it too serious, it'd probably annoy me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 11/27/19 2:08am

jaawwnn

avatar

Hamad said:

jaawwnn said:

It's a great album, I appreciate that he really meant the lyrics, at their best they're thoughtprovoking even if they're preachy. Sure he was always preachy, he literally has a song called God. On the Rainbow Children the lyrics are kind of specific where he was quite vague in the past, I think some people might have been uncomfortable being confronted with them, and I can't blame them either.

There's been some criticism of the music being phony jazz, which is probably kind of true, but I still enjoy it since he mixes it with enough other stuff to keep it inspired. I always like to hear him stretching himself musically and he really does seem to be doing that on this album. The 'Darth Vader' voice criticism i've never gotten, it's just a variation on the PFunk thing isn't it? Go listen to Maggot Brain.


[Edited 11/26/19 2:17am]

I too got the funkadelic reference, but it wasn’t “Maggot Brain”, it was “Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts”. George used that same distorted voice nod

Ah I was just choosing at random a PFunk song with a deep voice, there's a fair few!



dustoff said:

I can't listen to Family Name, even his voice has an unpleasantly spiteful tone to it -- to match the lyrics.

One reason I still enjoy Rainbow Children (which owes as much to Stevie Wonder as it does George Clinton) is that all the other religtious/theocracy stuff is SO far out to me that I consider it to be basically sci-fi.

Rainbow Children is like the Imperial version of Mothership Connection. Nos sure if that makes it better, or worse.

lol lol

[Edited 11/27/19 2:09am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 11/28/19 6:22am

MIRvmn

avatar

It's one of my favorite albums but I try to ignore some of the awful lyrics smile
We are living in Orwell's 1984
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 11/28/19 6:34am

Empress

From a music perspective, I've always enjoyed this album. It's sophisticated and I love the jazzy vibe, however, I have never loved the lyrics of several songs. Some of the JW dogma was unwelcome, but otherwise, I can enjoy the album if I don't let the lyrics get to me too much.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 11/28/19 7:33am

homesquid

avatar

I was a JW when the album came out so the lyrics obviously didn't offend me (other than them being not always "accurate knowledge of 'the truth'") but the Bob George narration got old very quickly. I just don't enjoy the album. It has it's moments but trying to listen to the whole album like I prefer to listen to music is just excruciating. It's just self-indulgence a step too far.

[Edited 11/28/19 7:34am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 11/28/19 3:07pm

rdhull

avatar

LoveGalore said:

I look at it as a fairytale. Like he's singing about Lord of the Rings or some shit

lol

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 11/28/19 4:00pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

Without a doubt, the production on this outstrips any other in his discography. Lotusflower comes closest. Intrestingly, they are his more 'concept' albums. He was obviously really into what he is doing.

.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 11/29/19 3:14pm

williamb610

Prince doing jazz?

Outside of Madhouse...I don't really dig it! Shit's too mellow. I like my Prince music intense, musically.

Never got into 'Rainbow Children'.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 11/29/19 3:34pm

Lianachan

avatar

I gave it another go last year, thinking I must be missing something. Still didn’t like it.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 12/04/19 8:53am

POOK

avatar


POOK LOVE RAINBOW KID MUSIC

POOK OK WITH THEOLOGY LYRIC

POOK NOT CRAZY ABOUT SPOOKY VOICE

OH ALSO POOK NOT KNOW ABOUT PEACH BLACK PODCAST SO THANK OP

BANANA SPLIT FOR ALL

[Edited 12/4/19 8:54am]

P o o |/,
P o o |\
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 12/04/19 11:31am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

POOK said:

POOK LOVE RAINBOW KID MUSIC POOK OK WITH THEOLOGY LYRIC POOK NOT CRAZY ABOUT SPOOKY VOICE OH ALSO POOK NOT KNOW ABOUT PEACH BLACK PODCAST SO THANK OP BANANA SPLIT FOR ALL [Edited 12/4/19 8:54am]

Image result for banana splits gif"

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 12/04/19 1:08pm

Marrk

avatar

Hamad said:

I was listening to a peach & black podcast review last week and one of the speakers said that the lyrics created a disconnect between him & the music (I’m paraphrasing). I’m not oblivious about the big heated discussions that took place here when it was released, however my question is, have you guys revisited the album again recently? And if so does the stance still remain the same(or worse lol) or have your views changed? I ask this, because I find myself going back to certain albums I didn’t care for in the past (Chaos & Disorder/New Power Soul) but find myself completely enthralled by them now.

I think it represented his hardcore JW phase. He passed that by in the end and toned it down in the end. I treat it like a fantasy, concept album these days. It remains totally bonkers to this day.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 12/04/19 1:20pm

Marrk

avatar

emesem said:

Views have not changed. Its still most negative and hateful thing that Prince ever put out. Sorry I havent gotten over the theocratic fascism, the misogyny, the anti-semitism or the dog whistle racism.

Shame as the last half of it has some of Princes best music but its just lipstick on a cold, dark heart.

[Edited 11/26/19 9:03am]

Glad you said it, Too many people giving him a pass for the music. "I ignore lyrics, nut the music? wooo" etc. I'm somewhat guilty too passing it off as a fantasy album. We know there's some dodgy stuff lyrically. He meant it that way too. The controversial new album sticker was exhibit A.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 12/04/19 3:43pm

williamb610

Relistening to it now on Youtube. It's funky...just not the upbeat funk I like! I do like Mellow, though.

If I can buy Mellow on Amazon, then, I'll be satisfied. A lot of it is like this funk that's played "mellow" for lack of a better word. I like to be thrilled. If it ain't thrilling, I can't get into it...that's people, activities, work, everything for me...especially this album!

It sounds like a band album, where everybody ain't as funky as Prince. Maybe, they ain't as funky as the Prince of old. Maybe that's the thing. P went in a different direction that doesn't fit my personality. If I want Prince doing jazz, it would have to sound like 'Clocking the Jizz'. I ain't got time for the mellow shit!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 12/05/19 9:29pm

RODSERLING

The lyrics are great IMO.
TRC is still one of the best Prince album, and Last December is maybe his greatest song ever.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 12/05/19 9:38pm

gandorb

I definitiley like the Last Decemnber better than any of the other songs on the album. Still like the live versions of all the songs so much better than the studio versions. I was surprised he didn't include Last December on the One Night Alone Live album that included so much of TRC. I noticed it also wasn't on the only boot I have of the tour, the Louisville show. Did he ever perform it live?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 12/06/19 4:15am

macaylasdad

I listened to that album once.... once only, worse than NPS and Rave combined... musically he was in a "funk" and his music was unlistenable to me.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 12/06/19 9:08am

jdcxc

Love the Album with some caveats.

*Darth Vader voice is awful
*Too conservative on Women’s issues

The album has some truly brilliant songs (Mellow, Last December, Family Name, She Loves Me) and organic and soulful sound. Plus John Blackwell and amazing guitar work.

I rank RC in the middle of Prince’s catalog.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 12/06/19 10:13am

daingermouz202
0

Not one of my fav albums. I liked only two songs "Muse to the Pharoh" and "Mellow"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 12/06/19 10:50am

Hamad

avatar

This album is also another showcase of how powerful he was when it comes to configuration & sequencing his tracklist, regardless if any of the songs were older/revised.
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/QLH82
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 12/06/19 12:29pm

VaultCurator

avatar

I was hyped for it at the time. It was a new release, he’d gone back to using the name ‘Prince’, it was his first proper album in two years. It was exciting at the time. I gave it a fair share of plays for a few months. If I remember rightly the consensus was that there was a really strong EP buried in a wishy washy album. She Loves Me 4 Me, Family Name, The Everlasting Now & Last December, these tracks went down well. On top of that I gave 1+1+1 is 3 a fair few spins.

.

I have to admit, I’ve barely played it since. By the end of the One Nite Alone tour I was burnt out with it and I’ve never really looked back.

.

As far as the lyrical content goes, the religious stuff never bothered me. When I hear people complain about the preaching my reaction is ‘you do remember LoveSexy right?’. Prince including his religious views in his music wasn't anything new. As far as I was concerned it was just Prince doing his thing. I took no issue with it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 12/06/19 1:08pm

darlingnikkkki

One of his best albums imo, even if I don’t subscribe to his beliefs.
"I want to be the only one you come for...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 12/06/19 2:09pm

damien3385

I love this album. Super funky
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Question For Orgers Who Didn’t Get Into “Rainbow Children”