independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 7th Dec 2019 9:43am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999 Re-issues - CD3/LP5&6 (Vault Tracks Pt 1, recorded between November 1981 and April 1982) - DISCUSSION
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #150 posted 12/02/19 5:24pm

LoveGalore

Wolfie87 said:

I see huge hit potential in Money Don't Grow On Trees. Short, Americana, appealing to music heads who wants to learn a new chord on their accoustic guitar. But even for a mainstream audiences who could recognize the lyrical content. Dare I even say Vagina could be a huuuuge anthem in the LGBT community. Punk Rock style, anarchistic in sound. Speaks to a young audience. Depends how you promote them. They sound fresh and modern.
[Edited 12/2/19 13:36pm]


As a gay man, I don't think Vagina would be huge for LGBT at all. lol. You know, it's like when someone says "oh I have a gay friend, maybe you know each other/maybe I should I introduce you two" - LGBT and other subsections of culture are not a monolith. And as for the musicality of it, where's the Disco beat?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #151 posted 12/02/19 5:37pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

LoveGalore said:

Wolfie87 said:
I see huge hit potential in Money Don't Grow On Trees. Short, Americana, appealing to music heads who wants to learn a new chord on their accoustic guitar. But even for a mainstream audiences who could recognize the lyrical content. Dare I even say Vagina could be a huuuuge anthem in the LGBT community. Punk Rock style, anarchistic in sound. Speaks to a young audience. Depends how you promote them. They sound fresh and modern. [Edited 12/2/19 13:36pm]
As a gay man, I don't think Vagina would be huge for LGBT at all. lol. You know, it's like when someone says "oh I have a gay friend, maybe you know each other/maybe I should I introduce you two" - LGBT and other subsections of culture are not a monolith. And as for the musicality of it, where's the Disco beat?


LOL. Interestingly, I've played the new 1999 material to my 14 year old twin boys. One of them was a bit taken a back by the title 'Vagina'. I told him to listen to the lyrics before passing judgement. At the end, he said, 'good song, but the title actually confuses the whole message. Would't it make sense that they were called Vaginis?'

I didn't have an answer!

.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #152 posted 12/02/19 5:47pm

IstenSzek

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

LoveGalore said:

Wolfie87 said: As a gay man, I don't think Vagina would be huge for LGBT at all. lol. You know, it's like when someone says "oh I have a gay friend, maybe you know each other/maybe I should I introduce you two" - LGBT and other subsections of culture are not a monolith. And as for the musicality of it, where's the Disco beat?


LOL. Interestingly, I've played the new 1999 material to my 14 year old twin boys. One of them was a bit taken a back by the title 'Vagina'. I told him to listen to the lyrics before passing judgement. At the end, he said, 'good song, but the title actually confuses the whole message. Would't it make sense that they were called Vaginis?'

I didn't have an answer!


lol exactly, half boy half girl and being called 'vagina' doesn't make too much sense lol


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #153 posted 12/02/19 5:48pm

controversy99

avatar

KoolEaze said:

controversy99 said:

Rearrange . Love, love, love this track. 10/10. This is the best, most out front and powerful guitar solo work of his entire career of studio releases.

eek

Seriously?

I mean, I respect your opinion and I love the song Rearrange but....most powerful guitar solo of his entire career (of studio releases)?

Really ?

What makes it that special to you?

Not judging your taste here, I think it´s a great song but....best guitar solo work of his entire career sounds like a stretch to me considering how many great solos he´s recorded.

Yep, I'm serious. The solo-ing on this is fantastic and wild. Please give me two examples that are better, more out front, and powerful. Prince was a great guitarist, but he mostly saved his best for live performances. He had some cool studio solos, but they were often buried in the mix or sufferred from odd tone choices.

Here are some of his best studio guitar solos, imo, with notes on how they compare.


1. Hard rock solos: Dreamer, Crimson and Clover, Why You Want to Treat Me So Bad, I'm Yours

- These are probably the best competition with Rearrange, but the tone is sometimes too thin, they get repetitive or are too short. Dreamer is probably the best competition, but the song overall is very Hendrix derivative.

2. Uniquely Prince: Eye Hate U (that short, screaming solo is awesome), Joy in Repetition (Perhaps his best studio guitar solo, but it's completely buried in the mix, definitely not out front.), When Doves Cry (especially the opening, but the main solo is again a bit buried), Computer Blue (partially swallowed up by the keyboard backing)


3. Funk: Kiss (one of my favorites), F.U.N.K., Lady Cab Driver. These are great but not as powerful sounding.

4. Jazz-ish: East (cool solo, but the tone is harsh and it's too short), Xogenous

5. Cool solos, but tone kills them: I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (probably the most egregious use of a thin tone where a fatter one would be killer), Fury (another great solo, but it's too thin. SNL version is way better), Xpedition (sounds muffled)

Edit: fixed some typos

[Edited 12/3/19 6:51am]

"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #154 posted 12/02/19 5:56pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

controversy99 said:

KoolEaze said:

eek

Seriously?

I mean, I respect your opinion and I love the song Rearrange but....most powerful guitar solo of his entire career (of studio releases)?

Really ?

What makes it that special to you?

Not judging your taste here, I think it´s a great song but....best guitar solo work of his entire career sounds like a stretch to me considering how many great solos he´s recorded.

Yep, I'm serious. The solo-ing on this is fantastic and wild. Please give me two examples that are better, more out front, and powerful. Prince was a great guitarist, but he mostly saved his best for live performances. He had some cool studio solos, but they were often buried in the mix or sufferred from odd tone choices.

Here are some of his best studio guitar solos, imo, with notes on how they compare.


1. Hard rock solos: Dreamer, Crimson and Clover, Why You Want to Treat Me So Bad, I'm Yours

- These are probably the best competition with Rearrange, but the tone is sometimes too thin, they get repetitive or are too short. Dreamer is probably the best competition, but the song overall is very Hendrix deriviative.

2. Uniquely Prince: Eye Hate U (that short, screaming solo is awesome), Joy in Repetition (Perhaps his best studio guitar solo, but it's completed buried in the mix, definitely not out front.), When Doves Cry (especially the opening, but the main solo is again a bit buried), Computer Blue (partially swallowed up by the keyboard backing)


3. Funk: Kiss (one of my favorites), F.U.N.K., Lady Cab Driver. These are great but not as powerful sounding.

4. Jazz-ish: East (cool solo, but the tone is harsh and it's too short),Xogenous

5. Cool solos, but tone kills them: I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (probably the most egregious use of a thin tone were a fatter one would be killer), Fury (another great solo, but it's too thin. SNL version is way better), Xpedition (sounds muffled)



I've just relistened to Rearrage, and I have to say, I agee with you. It's subtle in the mix compared to say 'temptation', but his guitar is off the scale on this one.

.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #155 posted 12/02/19 9:32pm

PurpleSullivan

avatar

Wolfie87 said:

I see huge hit potential in Money Don't Grow On Trees. Short, Americana, appealing to music heads who wants to learn a new chord on their accoustic guitar. But even for a mainstream audiences who could recognize the lyrical content. Dare I even say Vagina could be a huuuuge anthem in the LGBT community. Punk Rock style, anarchistic in sound. Speaks to a young audience. Depends how you promote them. They sound fresh and modern. [Edited 12/2/19 13:36pm]

Sure they could bud lol Admire the enthusiasm, though!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #156 posted 12/03/19 1:35am

jaawwnn

avatar

lust said:

Bold Generation could be the theme song to accompany the #OkBoomer meme.

ahahaa, so true

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #157 posted 12/03/19 3:28am

IstenSzek

avatar

controversy99 said:

KoolEaze said:

eek

Seriously?

I mean, I respect your opinion and I love the song Rearrange but....most powerful guitar solo of his entire career (of studio releases)?

Really ?

What makes it that special to you?

Not judging your taste here, I think it´s a great song but....best guitar solo work of his entire career sounds like a stretch to me considering how many great solos he´s recorded.

Yep, I'm serious. The solo-ing on this is fantastic and wild. Please give me two examples that are better, more out front, and powerful. Prince was a great guitarist, but he mostly saved his best for live performances. He had some cool studio solos, but they were often buried in the mix or sufferred from odd tone choices.

Here are some of his best studio guitar solos, imo, with notes on how they compare.


1. Hard rock solos: Dreamer, Crimson and Clover, Why You Want to Treat Me So Bad, I'm Yours

- These are probably the best competition with Rearrange, but the tone is sometimes too thin, they get repetitive or are too short. Dreamer is probably the best competition, but the song overall is very Hendrix deriviative.

2. Uniquely Prince: Eye Hate U (that short, screaming solo is awesome), Joy in Repetition (Perhaps his best studio guitar solo, but it's completed buried in the mix, definitely not out front.), When Doves Cry (especially the opening, but the main solo is again a bit buried), Computer Blue (partially swallowed up by the keyboard backing)


3. Funk: Kiss (one of my favorites), F.U.N.K., Lady Cab Driver. These are great but not as powerful sounding.

4. Jazz-ish: East (cool solo, but the tone is harsh and it's too short),Xogenous

5. Cool solos, but tone kills them: I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (probably the most egregious use of a thin tone were a fatter one would be killer), Fury (another great solo, but it's too thin. SNL version is way better), Xpedition (sounds muffled)


this is indeed hands down the best solo for me as well, it's simply perfect and divine. it's absurd
actually, just how good it is. i can never listen to it once, even after 30 years, i have to listen to
it over and over and over again.


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #158 posted 12/03/19 6:08am

dodger

IstenSzek said:

controversy99 said:

Yep, I'm serious. The solo-ing on this is fantastic and wild. Please give me two examples that are better, more out front, and powerful. Prince was a great guitarist, but he mostly saved his best for live performances. He had some cool studio solos, but they were often buried in the mix or sufferred from odd tone choices.

Here are some of his best studio guitar solos, imo, with notes on how they compare.


1. Hard rock solos: Dreamer, Crimson and Clover, Why You Want to Treat Me So Bad, I'm Yours

- These are probably the best competition with Rearrange, but the tone is sometimes too thin, they get repetitive or are too short. Dreamer is probably the best competition, but the song overall is very Hendrix deriviative.

2. Uniquely Prince: Eye Hate U (that short, screaming solo is awesome), Joy in Repetition (Perhaps his best studio guitar solo, but it's completed buried in the mix, definitely not out front.), When Doves Cry (especially the opening, but the main solo is again a bit buried), Computer Blue (partially swallowed up by the keyboard backing)


3. Funk: Kiss (one of my favorites), F.U.N.K., Lady Cab Driver. These are great but not as powerful sounding.

4. Jazz-ish: East (cool solo, but the tone is harsh and it's too short),Xogenous

5. Cool solos, but tone kills them: I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (probably the most egregious use of a thin tone were a fatter one would be killer), Fury (another great solo, but it's too thin. SNL version is way better), Xpedition (sounds muffled)


this is indeed hands down the best solo for me as well, it's simply perfect and divine. it's absurd
actually, just how good it is. i can never listen to it once, even after 30 years, i have to listen to
it over and over and over again.


I couldn't help but sing that bit...up on the mic, repeating 2 words, over and over again..

.

I'm liking your work.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #159 posted 12/03/19 6:15am

dodger

ForbiddenFruit said:

leadline said:

Bold Generation actually sounds like it is a rehearsal with the band, with Prince on keys. I don't know, it just has that live feel to it.

And maybe it's Morris Day on the drums...

[Edited 12/1/19 11:59am]

Now it makes sense. I've always thought it was a bit strange that Morris played drums on New Power Generation but he most likely re-used his drum track from 82

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #160 posted 12/03/19 6:58am

controversy99

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

controversy99 said:

Yep, I'm serious. The solo-ing on this is fantastic and wild. Please give me two examples that are better, more out front, and powerful. Prince was a great guitarist, but he mostly saved his best for live performances. He had some cool studio solos, but they were often buried in the mix or sufferred from odd tone choices.

Here are some of his best studio guitar solos, imo, with notes on how they compare.


1. Hard rock solos: Dreamer, Crimson and Clover, Why You Want to Treat Me So Bad, I'm Yours

- These are probably the best competition with Rearrange, but the tone is sometimes too thin, they get repetitive or are too short. Dreamer is probably the best competition, but the song overall is very Hendrix deriviative.

2. Uniquely Prince: Eye Hate U (that short, screaming solo is awesome), Joy in Repetition (Perhaps his best studio guitar solo, but it's completed buried in the mix, definitely not out front.), When Doves Cry (especially the opening, but the main solo is again a bit buried), Computer Blue (partially swallowed up by the keyboard backing)


3. Funk: Kiss (one of my favorites), F.U.N.K., Lady Cab Driver. These are great but not as powerful sounding.

4. Jazz-ish: East (cool solo, but the tone is harsh and it's too short),Xogenous

5. Cool solos, but tone kills them: I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (probably the most egregious use of a thin tone were a fatter one would be killer), Fury (another great solo, but it's too thin. SNL version is way better), Xpedition (sounds muffled)



I've just relistened to Rearrage, and I have to say, I agee with you. It's subtle in the mix compared to say 'temptation', but his guitar is off the scale on this one.

Glad to have somebody agree with me on this! 1999 is in my top 5 albums of all time, and now it's even better with this guitar work in the Super Deluxe version. If I want to show somebody Prince's guitar skills, 1999 Super Deluxe is where I will send them. Between the original (remastered) album and the newly released vault tracks, there is great variety, skill, and emotion in the guitar.

Btw, sorry about the typos. I went back and fixed those in my original reply to KoolEaze.

"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #161 posted 12/03/19 9:23am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Part 3 of "Prince: The Story of 1999": https://www.thecurrent.or...r-swensson

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #162 posted 12/03/19 9:30am

srodaz

This is probably my favorite of all the LPs in this release and thats saying something because they are all fantastic! Here is my take for each song:

Feel U Up/ Irresistible Bitch
Awesome to have these in good clear quality. I have heard these before mixed together as many have stated and don't mind so much that they are apart. Listening on my bose headphones really brings out all the nuances and subtle sounds he makes which I completely miss when even cranking on my stereo. These two songs have so many layers...love it.



Money Don’t Grow On Trees
This one is alright but not my fav. It has a nice riff and catchy lyrics but usually skip over.



Vagina
This one grew on me and was perhaps early insights to his Camille persona...in concep but not in sound. I think its really cool that prince is making the drum sounds with his voice. My wife asked if Prince ever had a thing for transgendered or maybe an early experience with one. I'm not so sure but clearly he is facinated with the 3rd sex.



Rearrange
This one is my FAVORITE of the entire release. I've must have replayed this 20+ times already. First time I heard that base I was hooked. I love that it has that lady cab driver sound and being a huge fan of his guitar playing talent having him crank it throughout was the icing on the cake. If Bruno Mars were to release this I'm positive it would be a top 10 hit.



Bold Generation
Another favorite of mine. Funky and should have been a Time release for sure. I wonder if that was maybe the plan but maybe Prince thought it was too good to give it to Morris once they started having the friction. Clearly he knew it was a hit and decided to shelve it for a later project (Graffiti Bridge) which is a shame because this version is so much better and would have fit perfectly with the that era as us GenXers can relate with.


Colleen
Nice tune gets a llttle repetitive. I think its cool that the name comes from Peggy his producers middle name...which just goes to show that so much music was flowing from him he would create a tune and just toss the cassette to someone and say its yours.

International Lover (Take 1) [Live In Studio]
Liner notes says this was Prince just messing around with Morris and you can hear that in the playful relaxed banter at the end. Originally intended for the Time.

Turn It Up
Heard this one before and its nice to hear this in good quality. Not necesssarily my favorite but its a simple song which gets repetitive.


You’re All I Want
I have a playlist called Prince in the 50s which includes songs like Delirous because it has that rockabilly sound to it. This one is now on that playlist because thats the sound...similar to Horny Toad.



Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
This was a song that got constant play from me back when I was a going through the confusion of the games teen girls play when I first started noticing them in my teens (did not compute). Although that electronic sound is still there its toned down a little and feels more raw and even a little more emotional...I like this version better and wow took me immediately back to a girl who totally played me...strange how you can remember a get those feelings so many years just by hearing a song.



If It’ll Make U Happy
I love love love this song. Wifes favorite as well who is a casual Prince fan. I have heard this one almost as much as rearrange.



How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore? (Take 2)
The gem of the album. I mean what can I say that hasn't already been said...love that you can hear Prince banging his boots on the piano as he is playing

In short, I think WB and the estate did a fantastic job. Hearing some of these for the first time (and others I have heard in great quality) only makes hungry for more vault material.

Give me more please!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #163 posted 12/03/19 9:32am

srodaz

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Feel U Up/Irresistable Bitch - I love what he was doing with drum machines by then. He was crafting some very fine beats and rhythm tracks here, and was already far ahead of what anyone was doing in that realm. He could have done an entire album in this vein, and with this sound, yet the album he released sounds nothing like this. Crazy. And how amazing to have the suave, composed but funky, b-side version of Irresistable Bitch to contrast with this utterly manic, on-the-verge-of-a-psychotic-break version he left sitting in the vault. I love when it breaks down with just the bass and rhythm guitar lines, like he's taking a moment to check the pulse of the groove or something. Sick.

Money Don't Grow On Trees - It kind of gives me Sarah vibes. If you told me this was recorded in the 2000s, or the 90s, or the 2010s, I might have believed you. It has none of the 1999 era hallmarks, and not really even any 80s hallmarks. He could have recorded an album with this sort of timeless sound, already at age 23, and his career would have had completely different trajectory. Madness! It's like he already had all of these skills ready to go early on, but just took his time to execute them publicly.

Vagina - Completely fun jam that's way less dirty than the title might imply. Kind of like how Sister was way MORE dirty than the title implied. People infer that because he wanted to name Vanity Vagina, that the song was meant for her, but I can't imagine anyone other than Prince singing this.

Rearrange - An absolute highlight for me. Maybe THE highlight. Such an awesome funky-punk kind of anthem, that recalls other songs of the era, yet also has it's own special vibe not present in those songs. And the guitar soloing is just manic and mental, containing some of his finest shredding, with rhythm guitar lines that are razer sharp. I had to go old school and get the lyics down by pausing and jotting. I can't remember the last time I was inspired to do that by any song. "Ain't nothin' funky about a waltz or rhumba!"

Bold Generation - How is this sourced from a cassette?! The sound is fantastic! I always enjoyed New Power Generation, and it's a real treat to hear this early rendering. One of the best things about it for me is the band rehearsal vibe. The second time he comes in with, "Ain't got time for politics. We'll never fight no war," I'm fully committed and singing along.

Colleen - I'm not really an instrumentals guy, especially ones from this era, but this one is really cool! I love how the groove kind of starts and stops all the way through, with that unique purple drum programming. When I hear it, I get images of the band using it as a warm up track for rehearsals. It seems perfect for that.

International Lover (Take 1) - This version actually made me appreciate the album version, which I never really cared for beyond its novelty appeal, and the 'tee-hee' moment of that classic monologue. I love how much open space is in this version, and the hard thump of Morris' drums, with Prince's fluid piano playing and soulful vocal, create sheer perfection to these ears. And how is the sound so good?! The sound on some of these unreleased songs seems better than the album at times. "Did you like that? You wanna do it again?"

Turn It Up - I never really cared much about this one because it doesn't seem to go anywhere special, and has too few changes for me, but it benefits from finally being released in such high quality. The details (like the water sounds, for example) are appealing, and the energy is infectious. People often compare it to Delirious in reviews, but I don't hear it at all. This gives me Dirty Mind/Controversy era vibes all the way. He was right to shelve it, if for no other reason than to wait for new songs that would carve new ground, rather than rely too heavily on what he'd already done. It must have been a key track with how many times he mentions the phrase in other songs from this era.

You're All I Want - This might be my least favorite, falling into the "he's already been there, and done it better," category for me. I find myself wanting to sing lines from both Horny Toad and Jack U Off when I listen, both of which are more enjoyable to me. Rumors of another version of this song featuring a vocal in his lower register have me wondering if this isn't a guide vocal version for Kim Upsher who also recorded it.

Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) [Original Version] - It's necessary to have this version on the set, and there are unique things about it that are very nice (the piano playing, and bass licks for example), but I GREATLY prefer the album version. This version feels undercooked comparatively speaking.

If It'll Make U Happy - When the 2 minute sample of this leaked a few years ago, I had forgotten which era it was from, and assumed it was from the early 90s, because that's when I remembered him flirting with reggae sounds (Blue Light). When I checked PrinceVault.com and found out it was from the 1999 sessions, I was completely in awe. He was already doing that shit 10 years before he let the public know about it. Imagine being so overly talented and brimming with ideas, you had to hold it back a decade. His vocal on this is a highlight for me as well.

How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore (Take 2) - FUCK! Utterly arresting, enchanting and intoxicating. Imagine if his Piano and Vocal album sounded like this (no shade). It would have been a heralded masterpiece. In fact, I'd happily take a piano based record from the vault if they have more where this came from. Wow.



[Edited 11/28/19 17:32pm]

Great review and one that pretty much matches my reaction for each song but you articulated much better. Rearrange is THE highlight!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #164 posted 12/03/19 9:33am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

theums said:

Everyone is on here giving an in-depth analysis and I am just lying here in bed listening to all the "new" deliciousness trying to not wake my partner from rocking out too much...lol

lol

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #165 posted 12/03/19 9:34am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

leadline said:

gandorb said:

SchlomoThaHomo said: Nice review!!! I haven't heard it enough to crystallize my opinion, but mostly am leaning towards your reactions. I especially love this version of Irresistible Bitch: Whipped, desparate, and transfixed.


Bold Generation actually sounds like it is a rehearsal with the band, with Prince on keys. I don't know, it just has that live feel to it.

Yes I agree, that sounds like a Prince & band piece

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #166 posted 12/03/19 1:38pm

leadline

avatar

If It’ll Make U Happy is a great tune, love it.

Couple of observations.

First guitar solo is flat, very flat.

Guitar parts in general all over the place.

This song is very uniqe in the respect that I believe it is the very first time Prince played guitar on it. He was experimenting throughout, nothing consistent, but figuring out what might work.


The guitar was probably out of tune when he picked it up to do the first guitar part, and figured since he wasn't lying down the official solo anyway, he would just leave it in.

As we know, he never came back to the song, it just went straight to the vault. The form presented to us here is no doubt a very early working of the song.

So interesting to hear something like this and very grateful to have it.



"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #167 posted 12/03/19 1:50pm

SoulAlive

yeah,on another thread,someone said that this song was intended for Vanity 6.I wasn't sure if that was accurate.I can't imagine this song appearing on their album,lol

SchlomoThaHomo said:



Vagina - Completely fun jam that's way less dirty than the title might imply. Kind of like how Sister was way MORE dirty than the title implied. People infer that because he wanted to name Vanity Vagina, that the song was meant for her, but I can't imagine anyone other than Prince singing this.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #168 posted 12/03/19 2:12pm

fen

avatar

LoveGalore said:

Wolfie87 said:
I see huge hit potential in Money Don't Grow On Trees. Short, Americana, appealing to music heads who wants to learn a new chord on their accoustic guitar. But even for a mainstream audiences who could recognize the lyrical content. Dare I even say Vagina could be a huuuuge anthem in the LGBT community. Punk Rock style, anarchistic in sound. Speaks to a young audience. Depends how you promote them. They sound fresh and modern. [Edited 12/2/19 13:36pm]
As a gay man, I don't think Vagina would be huge for LGBT at all. lol. You know, it's like when someone says "oh I have a gay friend, maybe you know each other/maybe I should I introduce you two" - LGBT and other subsections of culture are not a monolith. And as for the musicality of it, where's the Disco beat?

I've always thought that the term LGBT too broad have much meaning - the non-binary crowd might respect that he was broaching these subjects at least, even if it is rather facile. Personally I was hoping for something more literal from Vagina. lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #169 posted 12/03/19 2:48pm

IstenSzek

avatar

dodger said:

IstenSzek said:


this is indeed hands down the best solo for me as well, it's simply perfect and divine. it's absurd
actually, just how good it is. i can never listen to it once, even after 30 years, i have to listen to
it over and over and over again.


I couldn't help but sing that bit...up on the mic, repeating 2 words, over and over again..

.

I'm liking your work.



ah! you noticed what i did there biggrin


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #170 posted 12/03/19 3:17pm

FunkyStrange

olb99 said:



TheSilentMikey said:




lurker316 said:




Yes, that's the one I was talking about. Thanks for letting me know it's fake.





Come on, it's not fake...



.


I've always assumed that the multitrack was required to produce that result. Yes, you can still hear the synth, very faintly, but I thought it was just "track bleeding" or something like that.



Yes that version is fake.

Anyone can use software to get these results.. Google Deezer spleeter
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #171 posted 12/03/19 6:17pm

Neves26

I haven't posted in here since maybe what late 00's? And especially after 2016 but I am happy to just even be able to contribute to the community again with love and a free(er) spirit biggrin

I damn near fainted when I caught the news of this release a couple months ago...no I'm serious my gf had to throw some water on my face eek

But I am here now again and you guys have been a crutch believe it or not heart

My standout tracks this topic are as follows:

Vagina - Musically and sonically this song just makes my soul happy. Like the devil baby of When You Were Mine. Nice harmonies and that guitar is FUNKY!

Rearrage - Once I made it out the LCB vibe this one suprised me. "Your music won't me dance...I won't give it half the chance" Love It. Something else I want to say about this song but I'll save if for the next one..

Bold Generation - This is just a shell of what we've all already heard but man did it make me smile. My FAVORITE vault track on this release easily. It's just so groooooovy. And Maybe I'm late but when I listened to NPG after listening to this and I heard Rosie Gaines say, "You got to Rearrange!" I seriously spit out my beer. Just the little nuggets that we are getting are so overwhelming for someone who's been a fan for so long.

If It'll Make You Happy - The singing is something that I feel casuals underate P on for real. To me when he sings and that is forefront then he is at his best. You can tell he felt something with this one.

How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore (Take 2)- The original version is more than just classic but this is just so damn Cleeeeeeaaannnnn! Just P at his rawest with just the keys man...Def a treasure.

Purple Music - This is a musical exercise...sort of similar to how a feel about Get Loose. I've always loved this vault track but this version reinforced my opion 100%. It's just P flexing his greatness without giving a F and at the same time letting you know he get's lifted too. I've accomplished so much stuff I porbably didn't even really want to do just listening to this but now I have it on Vinyl!

I don't know if we can post pics of our pick up or if there is another thread butI'd love to share my experience with you all...And if you took the time to read this here's a hug from your brother in the name of peace and love! fro

[Edited 12/3/19 18:19pm]

[Edited 12/3/19 18:19pm]

[Edited 12/3/19 19:01pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #172 posted 12/03/19 6:19pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

srodaz said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:

...

Great review and one that pretty much matches my reaction for each song but you articulated much better. Rearrange is THE highlight!


Thanks. Yea it's the one I keep coming back to on this disc for sure. I'm dying to hear what he did with it when he pulled it out in 1988.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #173 posted 12/03/19 8:17pm

CDinwiddie

SchlomoThaHomo said:

srodaz said:

Great review and one that pretty much matches my reaction for each song but you articulated much better. Rearrange is THE highlight!


Thanks. Yea it's the one I keep coming back to on this disc for sure. I'm dying to hear what he did with it when he pulled it out in 1988.

Yes on Rearrange. HARD yes!

Bold Generation also gets a hard yes for it's Parliament/Funkadelic-ness.

All in, Super Deluxe far exceeded my expectations. We need this same kind of treatment for all of the big albums. This is all pretty amazing. This guy. Wow.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #174 posted 12/03/19 10:35pm

SoulAlive

“Rearrange” is my jam headbang what a great groove!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #175 posted 12/04/19 2:54am

Se7en

avatar

srodaz said:

This is probably my favorite of all the LPs in this release and thats saying something because they are all fantastic! Here is my take for each song:

Feel U Up/ Irresistible Bitch
Awesome to have these in good clear quality. I have heard these before mixed together as many have stated and don't mind so much that they are apart. Listening on my bose headphones really brings out all the nuances and subtle sounds he makes which I completely miss when even cranking on my stereo. These two songs have so many layers...love it.



Money Don’t Grow On Trees
This one is alright but not my fav. It has a nice riff and catchy lyrics but usually skip over.



Vagina
This one grew on me and was perhaps early insights to his Camille persona...in concep but not in sound. I think its really cool that prince is making the drum sounds with his voice. My wife asked if Prince ever had a thing for transgendered or maybe an early experience with one. I'm not so sure but clearly he is facinated with the 3rd sex.



Rearrange
This one is my FAVORITE of the entire release. I've must have replayed this 20+ times already. First time I heard that base I was hooked. I love that it has that lady cab driver sound and being a huge fan of his guitar playing talent having him crank it throughout was the icing on the cake. If Bruno Mars were to release this I'm positive it would be a top 10 hit.



Bold Generation
Another favorite of mine. Funky and should have been a Time release for sure. I wonder if that was maybe the plan but maybe Prince thought it was too good to give it to Morris once they started having the friction. Clearly he knew it was a hit and decided to shelve it for a later project (Graffiti Bridge) which is a shame because this version is so much better and would have fit perfectly with the that era as us GenXers can relate with.


Colleen
Nice tune gets a llttle repetitive. I think its cool that the name comes from Peggy his producers middle name...which just goes to show that so much music was flowing from him he would create a tune and just toss the cassette to someone and say its yours.

International Lover (Take 1) [Live In Studio]
Liner notes says this was Prince just messing around with Morris and you can hear that in the playful relaxed banter at the end. Originally intended for the Time.

Turn It Up
Heard this one before and its nice to hear this in good quality. Not necesssarily my favorite but its a simple song which gets repetitive.


You’re All I Want
I have a playlist called Prince in the 50s which includes songs like Delirous because it has that rockabilly sound to it. This one is now on that playlist because thats the sound...similar to Horny Toad.



Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
This was a song that got constant play from me back when I was a going through the confusion of the games teen girls play when I first started noticing them in my teens (did not compute). Although that electronic sound is still there its toned down a little and feels more raw and even a little more emotional...I like this version better and wow took me immediately back to a girl who totally played me...strange how you can remember a get those feelings so many years just by hearing a song.



If It’ll Make U Happy
I love love love this song. Wifes favorite as well who is a casual Prince fan. I have heard this one almost as much as rearrange.



How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore? (Take 2)
The gem of the album. I mean what can I say that hasn't already been said...love that you can hear Prince banging his boots on the piano as he is playing

In short, I think WB and the estate did a fantastic job. Hearing some of these for the first time (and others I have heard in great quality) only makes hungry for more vault material.

Give me more please!


Great review.

If I'm not mistaken, the part about throwing a cassette to Peggy and saying "it's yours" was the song You're All I Want.

The labeling of the instrumental "Colleen" was just Prince being a bit lazy/nonchalant. Peggy asked him what to write on the box, he asked her "what's your middle name - use that".

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #176 posted 12/04/19 3:21am

andrewm7

so happy all of this has been released 😊

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #177 posted 12/04/19 8:01am

TheSilentMikey

FunkyStrange said:

olb99 said:

.

I've always assumed that the multitrack was required to produce that result. Yes, you can still hear the synth, very faintly, but I thought it was just "track bleeding" or something like that.

Yes that version is fake. Anyone can use software to get these results.. Google Deezer spleeter

No, it's not fake. And not anyone can get these "results" with some amateur software.

[Edited 12/4/19 8:02am]

[Edited 12/4/19 8:02am]

"Don't need no Reefer. Don't need Cocaine. Purple Music does the same to my brain."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #178 posted 12/04/19 8:19am

Vannormal

avatar

soladeo1 said:

VAGINA is a stand out to me. A great and weird and insansly catchy little tune with some searing guitar work.

-

I wonder if there is a version with drums excisting.

You hear him giving directions with his mouth-drumming on the back ground for it in the very beginning.

I always thought Prince mostly started of with a drum track, then adding other instruments over it.

Love this track so much too !

Stunning little gem. Good to have it.

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #179 posted 12/04/19 8:29am

Vannormal

avatar

IstenSzek said:

SquirrelMeat said:


LOL. Interestingly, I've played the new 1999 material to my 14 year old twin boys. One of them was a bit taken a back by the title 'Vagina'. I told him to listen to the lyrics before passing judgement. At the end, he said, 'good song, but the title actually confuses the whole message. Would't it make sense that they were called Vaginis?'

I didn't have an answer!


lol exactly, half boy half girl and being called 'vagina' doesn't make too much sense lol


-

Nonono, that's exactly good and interesting about it. smile

Imagine if this half-boy half-girl was called 'Dick', it woul've been complete different and rediculous. wink))

I just love the way he plays with it all.

Half boy Half girl, kissing another girl in a gay bar, short haired, lying or not, doing it with the TV on - political romance, etc.

Love the whole mixed-up and fucked-up creative idea.

He loved to do that with women in particularly, and not with men. Think about it.

See it as his curiousity for women and how he fools around with his own creative mind towards them.

Prince also mostly looked like a half-boy half-girl.

He was super masculine, but loved to play with the femininity of it all.

Calling a woman Vagina is an über female statement.

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999 Re-issues - CD3/LP5&6 (Vault Tracks Pt 1, recorded between November 1981 and April 1982) - DISCUSSION